4.0 out of 5 stars The songs are great, but...
I'm a big fan of Ellie Goulding since her debut album Lights.
The song of this re-release are all nice, especially "Burn", "Goodness Gracious", "Hearts Without Chains", "Stay Awake" and "Tessellate" (as well as songs from the original release Halcyon, including "Halcyon", "Figure 8" and "Hanging On").
But I have to rate this edition 4 stars because it is a pure...
Published 13 months ago by Samuel C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ellie Goulding
Enjoy listening to Ellie on the radio. This is the first time I have purchased one of her CDs and can take it or leave it.
Published 7 months ago by shoppingwright

4.0 out of 5 stars The songs are great, but..., 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Halcyon Days (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of Ellie Goulding since her debut album Lights.
But I have to rate this edition 4 stars because it is a pure marketing release... Re-relasing an album with 8 (or 10 as in this case) new songs is ok, but re-releasing it in two editions it's a shame! All the tracks should have been on a single edition! This version of Halcyon Days can be considered as a "deluxe-deluxe edition"! I'm very disappointed... also, two bonus tracks ("The Ending" and "High for This") are missing from this version!
So... 5 stars for the songs, but the rest is a shame!

5.0 out of 5 stars Too old, but who cares, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Halcyon (Audio CD)
I am the wrong demographic for even considering this album (50+), but what a voice! So pleased I don't act my age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 1 Mar 2013
Great album and a great voice. Bought it after hearing a track on the telly advert on ITV. Glad I did !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful As Ever..., 29 Aug 2013
Julia Havard "Heights47" (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Halcyon Days (Audio CD)
But big complaint Disc 2 should have been a stand alone for those who purchased Halcyon already it's unfair to expect people to shell out more money for a product they already own. That aside i won't review Halcyon as i ahve already done that. So disc 2 Halcyon Days. Like the extra's on the Bright Lights reissue the new songs feel like a natural extension and accompniament to the original if not as good or to it's original standard. It's alot more straight forward dance with elements of dubsetep and Drum and Bass thrown in with some beautiful haertfelt balladry. Halcyon Days feels like the second part and final chapter in the Halcyon era bringing it full circle and finding Ellie in a much happier less contemplative mood ready to move forward and having fun whilst doing it. Halcyon Days is very much a more upbeat dance orientated piece. The quality and standard of both discs is extremely high and Ellie's voice is the star throghout and is as unique and beautiful as ever. choice picks:

Halcyon:

How Long Will I Love You
Midas Touch

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Halcyon Days (Audio CD)
I bought this new extended version as i love the songs...but still see it as a rip off. A new ep would be fairer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic music but such a rip-off!, 26 Aug 2013
I love Ellie Goulding's music. I think she is one of a new generation of singer songwriters who will be around for a very long time. What I think is most shameful about this release - or rather re-release - is the cost and how it's been down. While I'm sure it's not purely down to Ms Goulding but rather the music company wanting to milk her fans but was it really necessary to re-release the whole album a second time with ten new songs on it for quite an overblown price... especially if you were one of those fans who bought the original album? Wouldn't it be more respectful to the fans to also have a second release of just the ten new songs as either a "Complete your album" for around £5 or £6 or release them as an extended EP. The original album came out as a non-deluxe and a deluxe back in 2012, and now we seem to have a deluxe deluxe version! For me, I am starting to wonder at Ms Goulding allowing this sort of practice - it smacks of money-grabbing when there is no need; I would have bought the album of new songs on their own without a second thought... now, I'll simply listen to them on Spotify. Sorry Ms Goulding but I feel that the record company are ripping off your loyal fans in trying to attract new ones and that is never a good thing. That said, the new material is, as ever from Ms Goulding, superb.

UPDATE: A friend sent me the digital booklet that accompanies this release. In the acknowledgements section at the back, Ellie has written, "... Lastly I want to thank my manager, Jamie Lillywhite, and those friends and fans who
have been with me from day one, when it all began, and have continually believed in me, kept my spirits high and my feet firmly on the ground. Thanks to those who have joined me on the way and never looked back. Long may
this mental journey of mine continue, with all the wisdom, faith, humour and kindness of all the incredible people I am lucky enough to have in my life. Love you."

Hmmm, Ms Goulding. I think, after how this re-release has been managed those "fans who have been with [you] from day one, when it all began, and have continually believed in [you], kept [your] spirits high and [your] feet firmly on the ground" may think twice about shelling out for the next album... I think they'll be inclined to wait for the inevitable re-release a year later which, it seems, is the norm for you now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Halcyon Deluxe, 20 Oct 2013
I understand that artists record additional tracks during the time an album is in the chart, and have no doubt this album is a great collection but I do object when the additional track cannot be added to my original download unless I pay for them at the usual price. They should be made available at a reduced price if you have previously down loaded the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality!, 9 Jan 2014
Played this at a party in the kitchen & got feedback that the better tunage was in the kitchen. Quality!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shades of Judy Tzuke?, 22 Nov 2013
Tim (far far away) - See all my reviews
In a dry desert of Xfactor'ed lowest common denominators, where did this girl come from ?

OK, from 28 tracks inevitably there are some duff tracks - depends on your music tastes, and personally I don't go for overproduced echo treatment or 'white girl raps'. But when its good it's very good indeed and I love the simplicity of her voice. Very Judy Tzuke. I imagine 'How long will I love you' will become a favourite at weddings and funerals, and is as good as anything written by Christine McVie (Songbird?).

Look forward to seeing how this one turns out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: Halcyon (Deluxe) (MP3 Download)
Since hearing Ellie's single 'Starry Eyed', i've been hooked on her sound and writing style. I did have doubts about how she could possibly top such a fantastic first album as 'Bright Lights' (Which is still an exceptional album, two years on.). However, when i got to hear the buzz single 'Hanging On', i was very relieved. The sound Ellie has created on this album is a step in a new direction from her debut, and i think it's got the right amount of fresh sounds, alongside roots back to the debut album. 'Anything Could Happen' is a good single in it's own right, but when it's played alongside the album, it makes the song even better. If you're looking for specific tracks to try, to get a feel of the album, i'd recommend 'My Blood', 'Only You', 'Figure 8' & 'I Know You Care'. The whole album is beautifully written, and it's actually a breath of fresh air to listen to an album that is consistent the whole way through, and not one that has only got a catchy lead single. I really hope this album gets the success it deserves!

Halcyon Days
Halcyon Days by Ellie Goulding (Audio CD - 2013)