4.0 out of 5 stars Better value than updating a trial version
Most new laptops and computers come with a trial anti-virus suite which nags you to pay for a full package. I have found it's cheaper to buy the software from Amazon and install a fresh copy

I uninstalled my trial McAfee anti virus software first to avoid conflicts. Installation of the McAfee suite from CD was quick with no problems. Very little impact on my...
Published 9 months ago by Paul Stewart

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty poor offering.
Used Mcafee many years ago, and it was a system hog back then, sad to say, nothing had really changed since then.

The latest version made my PC unusable whilst it was doing it's full scan (which it schedules by default weekly), whilst my PC isn't cutting edge spec, it's usually more than fast enough in day to day use under Windows 7, and has a SSD for fast disk...
Published 13 months ago by Clashcity Rocker

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good protection but can cause annoyance, 19 Jun. 2014
H. Eaton "Helena Eaton" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this product does the job it is more intrusive than I would like with full system scans taking ages and leaving me unable to use the machine. Booting up is slower than it was with the previous anti-virus software I was using. It is, however easy to install and use so gets 3 stars for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 19 Jun. 2014
Amazon Customer "A Likely Lad" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Everything about this item first class and it does the job that it was designed to do without slowing down computer systems or stopping them completely.

That's actually it greatest strength and major selling point, the fact that it quietly get's on with it's job and does it well.

It has the usual features, antivirus, firewall, tune up and a brilliant Parental Control that works a treat and is worth it just to protect your kids from some of the less saviour websites out there.

To install it is simplicity itself and that's another great feature, it's so simple to use and so effective.

This is the best and you'll certainly not find a finer security package out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install & seems to be working, 18 Jun. 2014
Tried and Tested (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I find it really difficult to review anti virus software as in all honesty, who knows, in the couple of weeks I've had this I've not had any computer virus's but that's about as much as I can say as to how effective it is.

It was very easy to install either by using the enclosed CD or direct from the McAfee website. Inserting the CD starts an automatic download from the web, ensuring you've got the most up to date version, I thought this was really good as I hate it when you install something from a disc & then get an immediate notification of a more up to date version. Once installed it's registered using the supplied product key. The entire process was complete in less than 10 minutes

***Update***
I've recently uninstalled this as it was proving to slow my computer down so much that it was driving me insane. Although it works I don't want to be aware that it's there all the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay., 18 Jun. 2014
E. H. (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After using what I would call the three main antivirus programs out there (Norton, McAfee and AVG) I have found they are all pretty much up to same standard in terms of blocking threats so for me it is the other things which make the difference. I think AVG are a lot better then McAfee for updates. In terms of presence it is too dominant, I prefer if it is all done in the background and occasionally there is a pop up with a report but not the other way round. For the price and peace of mind it is good.

1.0 out of 5 stars System hogging, doesn't stop viruses, 18 Jun. 2014
Samuel "Samuel" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Bitdefender anti-virus subscription had expired, so, having had McAfee years ago, I thought I'd try it again. This was a big mistake.

Firstly, the installation was a nightmare. The software comes on a CD; you install this, it emails you a licence code, from where you can then go to a web page to download the proper software. This is all well and good if the code that it displays on the screen (and emails you) actually works. I had the email, had a screenshot taken using snipping tool of the code... and it didn't work. I phoned McAfee, couldn't get through, and just kept trying and trying the code. Two days later, it mysteriously started working. Hmm.

Finally being able to install the software (a process which seemed okay), I then found out to my cost how memory hungry McAfee is. On my Windows 8 laptop with 8GB of RAM and dual-core processors, for the first hour or so after booting up, McAfee somehow uses over 4GB of RAM and over 90% of the CPU. Lovely. During this time, the laptop is unusable.

The culmination of this was two days later when I started getting horrible adware popups and mysterious floating toolbars on my laptop. Having never had a virus in my three years of using BitDefender, after three days on McAfee... yes, I had a virus. I tracked this back and saw it had been installed on the day after I started using McAfee (which had all its functionality running). Excellent. After five or six hours battling to remove the virus (actually viruses, it turns out) using MalwareBytes, I have uninstalled McAfee and resubscribed to BitDefender. A fortnight on from this, and everything is lovely.

So, if you a) want a horrendous registration process b) want to rarely be able to use your pretty powerful laptop as the anti-virus software takes all resources, and c) you want viruses, then get McAfee. Otherwise get something that actually does what it should do. And in case anybody reading this thinks I'm just being grumpy and unfair, I have posted hundreds of reviews on Amazon, and this is, I think, the first one-star review I have ever given. Avoid this product at all costs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Internet security is more value for money, 15 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good product but internet security is only a couple of pounds more. And if you hunt about you can get three user packages for less money!

Bottom line, no drop in system performance so is working in good harmony. Very regular auto updates on virus's but look for the best deals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well once installed, 9 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This antivirus product is very good. My computer is performing A LOT quicker with this product over the old Bitdefender system that was previously installed.

It was a bit of a pain to install as I used the disc. Turned out that once the disc had installed the software was expired and I had to use the code in order to uninstall the software I had just installed and download another version from the website. I only came across the website version by chance as I was getting pretty p****d at having wasted time on something which wasn't working.

In the end, this is a good software package to protect your computer, but the install was a pain in the ***

3.0 out of 5 stars Should I or shouldn't I?, 1 Jun. 2014
D. P. Mankin (Ceredigion, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to agree with another reviewer about having a 'love-hate' relationship with McAfee. It's the only anti-virus software package that has ever caused me problems in the past (and a mega problem on one occasion). But you have to be open-minded about these things. Yet this is where I have to be honest: my past experience means that I haven't yet summoned up the courage to give McAfee another chance. This means that for the first time in over 400 reviews I have written a review without testing or reading a product. Which probably makes me a hypocrite given my frustration with other reviewers who've done the same thing. Then again my reluctance to trial the product is in itself revelatory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use....., 22 May 2014
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this really easy to use and set up...
It has easy to follow instructions and has not slowed my computer....
i am really happy with this anti virus.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and good value, 21 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's no shortage of proprietary AV software providers these days but McAfee is certainly up there in the premier league and always put out reliable security products. This is a typical, minimum fuss very reliable system that updates easily and keeps ticking over using the minimum of PC resources. Can't realy go wrong.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 - 1 User - 1 Year (PC)
McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 - 1 User - 1 Year (PC) by McAfee (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / Vista Home Basic / XP)
Out of stock