4.5 out of 5 stars1,571
Size: Small Double (120 x 190 cm)|Colour: Brown|Change
Price:£156.51+ Free shipping

on 24 July 2014
I don't often write reviews but I had to for this one. This bed is just superb for the money - I don't know how they make it for the price as it's easily worth double what I paid.
The price does fluctuate randomly on Amazon though - I was going to buy the bed and including delivery it was going to cost me £135. I had an issue with the website and came back to order it an hour later and it had dropped to £113 using a different marketplace seller. Keep an eye on the price and use camelcamelcamel.co.uk to make sure you're getting a good deal on it as £113 is a great price, £135 is above average.

The next bit of information is vital though so I suggest you read it if you're seriously going to buy this bed! :)

The marketplace seller varies for this item, so some of the negative reviews relating to delivery here are for different sellers - they're not all bad. Make sure you check which seller you're purchasing from as this is important.
My purchase came from "bedsandbeds" and I had no trouble at all. No items were missing, it was dispatched quickly and it was exactly as expected, no damage and the correct size. However, they do use XDP Express as their courier. I had no issues at all with the courier service - my depot is based in Glasgow - but I know a lot of people have complained about the service provided by XDP so make sure you're on the ball if your bed comes through this courier. The main thing is to ensure you check the XDP website and track your parcel daily.
I got a dispatch notice from Amazon containing tracking information but from this point onwards I received no further correspondence about the delivery - I only knew my bed was out for delivery because I spotted it on the XDP tracking website, so I caught the next bus home and was lucky to be in for it. I had no text, email etc so I wouldn't have been in had I not been watching out for it, so make sure you take responsibility for keeping an eye on this or you'll have a bad experience. You'll get a 3 hour delivery slot with XDP and this can't be narrowed down, so be aware of this too.
My bed came 3 days earlier than expected though and the courier was right on time and the lovely bloke helped me in with it so I have no complaints whatsoever.

About the bed!

It comes in 2 parcels, each weighing around 14-17kg so be aware you'll ideally need help moving these to the assembly location - I dragged them up the stairs alone but it nearly killed me. I'm an unfit 28 year old female though so if I can do it then most people probably can at a push. I live alone so had no choice! It's really well packaged though and all the parts are organised cleverly to keep the package sizes down.

They also recommend you have 2 people assemble this - I did it alone so it can be done, it's just hard work as the side panels in particular are quite heavy due to the lifting mechanism.
Assembly isn't anything overly complex, it's just fiddly and the parts are heavy. It took me about 2.5 hours on my own but would've taken significantly less if I'd had some help. A couple of holes didn't take the screws that well but there were enough other holes that I wasn't concerned about the sturdiness of the bed - I didn't expect it to be perfect given the price but overall it went together very well.
Word of warning though; the parts have velcro strips on the underside as when you're finished you tip the bed up and attach the fabric base for the storage area. If you're unfortunate enough to have a cheap nasty carpet that velcro sticks to then make sure you leave the plastic on all of the parts whilst you're working on the bed assembly. I didn't realise at first until my bed was firmly glued to my carpet and I ended up in a rage trying to tear the parts loose so I could manouvre them into position to bolt together.
I lifted half the carpet and nearly hulk smashed the bed into oblivion. Once I'd re-wrapped everything so the velcro wasn't in contact with the carpet then all was well with the world once more.

Other handy tips.. loads of the parts come zipped into the rear of the headboard. The instructions do tell you this but if you don't read them properly you might miss it and assume things are missing.
Frankly, I'd suggest you read the instructions thoroughly before you start as there's lots of useful information in there. Another point being DON'T operate the lifting mechanism until you've put the mattress on when you finish or you'll smash your face in.
Also note - when you first finish the build the frame will be in the lifted up position. Read the instructions at this point and you can't go wrong. Attach the fabric pull cord to the end of the bed and put one hand to the left and one hand to the right of centre bar, evenly spaced and push down firmly on the bed. As it starts to shut take hold of the fabric cord and lower it into the closed position so you don't trap your fingers. From this point onwards, leave it alone until your mattress is on as without the weight of the mattress it will spring open at speed if you attempt to pull it open again and injuries will likely occur :)

Oh it also has little screw in feet which raise it up by around 1cm. If you drag the bed around it flexes a little so be careful not to be too rough with it as the frame does feel like it could damage if you drag it around roughly. Also as there's no base, just the fabric for the storage area, you will need to empty it before moving it in future so bear this in mind too. I wouldn't personally class any of this as a negative, they're just points worth being aware of. It's still a fantastic bed for what it cost.

Basically, this bed is awesome. It's a gift for the money and I had a very nice sleep on it last night. Highly recommend it :)
55 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 December 2015
False storage depth claim: We chose this ottoman PURELY due to the claim (in the description "From the Manufacturer" > "Extra storage") as follows:
"It is important that your bed offers good depth to store a variety of sized items. Many of the cheaper priced Ottoman Beds are smaller in depth & therefore offer you less storage. Otto-Garrison Ottoman Beds provide a depth of 30cm which is higher than average."

This is completely false! The entire EXTERNAL height of the side frame is 27 cm. The INTERNAL height (storage depth) measured from the floor to the metal bed frame (attached to the internal sides) is 21 cm maximum. How could they possibly claim 30 cm? Why put a subheading entitled "Extra storage", and claim that "cheaper priced" beds "offer you less storage", when this bed is EXACTLY the same size and storage depth of ALL of the main ottoman beds for sale within the UK in 2015? It's actually smaller than many, which offer 24 cm depth.
on 1 November 2012
I ordered these 2 beds on a Saturday evening and they were delivered the following Tuesday. The price was so good I was a bit worried that they may have been poorly made. I need not have worried they are great value for money and well made.
Sadly they had to stay boxed until the following Monday while we waited for the mattresses. Moral of the story order your mattress first since these beds are delivered very quickly.
My son in law and daughter put the 2 up in approx 2.5 hours following the instructions given. The inital push down of the slatted base was scary as my SIL was worried that he would break the gas arms. They do need a bit of brute force but as soon as it was done my daughter very easily pulled it up and back down again. In fact my 7 yr old Grand-daughter has no problem at all. The 4yr old can lift it but is too short to pull it back down. Their bedroom looks great as their toys and clutter are safely stored out of sight. Wonderful. My daughter was so impressed I have just ordered a 5' one for her this evening. Their mattress arrived today.... A great product.
on 8 February 2013
My grandson is over the moon with this bed, he is now even more difficult to get out of. It.
on 1 May 2014
Bought two for the my teenage son and daughter, one in white and another in black.

Easy enough to put together and my kids love it.
on 7 June 2014
Bed looks ok but i have no assembly instructions nor tool kit. Without being able to get hold of instructions by contacting Amazon twice it may have to be returned.
on 2 May 2014
excellent quality, very good instructions. Get little pots for each of the sets of bolts and scraps of paper for the letters.
Also invest in an allen key that has a longer handle as the small one they give you hurts the hands.
But very good bed..
BUY IT NOW!!!
on 5 June 2013
I bought two of these beds for my daughters room. They arrived within couple of days all bits were there and was very easy to put together. I would highly recommend these beds best buy ive made by far
on 8 February 2015
Bed looks nice but a load of rubbish. My daughter had it less than a year and the slates and black holders have snapped and broken off. Customer service absolutely rubbish emailed the retailers twice and got ignored. I would have had more pleasure in throwing the money down the drain. Don't waste your money
review image
on 8 January 2015
Rubbish service. Bed arrived broken, argued for two days with delivery service to pick it back up and replace it. Finally had a bed sent back out, took a further 3 days. So had to sleep on the floor, did not recurve any compensation after sending photo graphic evidence of the damaged bed. 2 weeks later the bed brakes again. Useless