Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 October 2013
If you like your Chrismas music unadorned with anything but the simple feeling and emotions the season inspires then this is the album for you. It brings in influences as diverse as Andy Williams and Johnny Cash and blends them with a wry humour and a sense of fun. It opens with the gospel of "Children Go Where I Send Thee" and runs through the full range of seasonal joy until it ends with a ska tinged version of the glam rock classic "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day". There are some originals penned by Nick, Ron Sexsmith and Ry Cooder but all the tracks are made to feel fresh. I initally felt guilty listening to this when it arrived in October but great music is timeless.
on 28 October 2013
An excellent companion to 2011's awesome "The Old Magic". Although the majority of these tracks are either traditional or cover versions recorded in Lowe's wonderful laid back style, there are still two corking Lowe originals with "Christmas At The Airport" being outstanding. Buy it, it's probably the second best Christmas album around (Jim Reeves' "12 Songs Of Christmas" will never be beaten).
on 7 December 2013
I was allowed to purchase this once it was available on condition I waited until December to listen; which only seems appropriate. I am glad I have waited; so much better to hear this wonderful CD in the approach to Christmas. I have played it a few times so far and its getting better with each listen. Just two songs that are familiar to me but all the others are so well written and presented in a variety of fitting styles, all capitalising on the gentle vocal refrains of Mr Lowe.

A new classic for me and earnestly recommended.
on 26 January 2015
As a fan of Nick Lowe I had to buy this ! A strange mix of tracks to be fair but all have that curious laid-back retro feel I like in his music. my only niggle is that the sound quality (on my download anyway) is not that great , as if it was recorded in a hurry(?) and on several occasions the sound of the organ is quite distorted - maybe that was deliberate though, who knows. Not a 5-star album (sadly) but if you like Nick Lowe and you want a change from The Pogues, Wizzard and Slade every year you could do worse than get this.
on 27 November 2013
This is not like your normal Christmas album. As well as the tracks written by Nick Lowe himself he has selected a rather unusual mix of traditional and modern carols and songs. "Christmas Can't Be Far Away" is a wonderful song to revive, originally recorded by Eddy Arnold, I think, years ago. From the opening bars of track one, "Children Go Where I Send Thee" to the fade-out of the rockabilly version of "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" this album is a class act.
on 21 December 2013
I love Nick Lowes song writing this seasonal effort includes examples of his talent as well as cover versions done in his laid back country rock style. Amongst the tracks that make this an enjoyable listen are 'Christmas at the Airport', 'Hooves on the Roof', 'Silent Night' and a country rock version of Wizzard's 'I Wish it could be Christmas Everyday'. This is a great listen irrespective of whether it is Christmas or not. Enjoy this album and have a great Christmas.
on 16 December 2013
You can always rely on Nick Lowe to come up with his own knowing take on things - his choice of songs and arrangements is never predictable. So I'm enjoying his selection of seasonal songs - some new, some old, bit quirky and to the point without being cynical. Fans of his recent stuff will like this, I think, even if the cheese-ometer hits 11 on occasions. Will happily give this a spin as a foil to the dreaded "favourites" we get bombarded with at this time of year.
on 10 February 2014
Purchased in October. Apologies for the late review. I am not able to add too much to what has already been said but in a just world this album should never disappear and become the soundtrack for the festive season for many years to come.

This collection contains new compositions and old some old neglected songs that were new to me. So, even if you already have Xmas albums in your collection you are sure to find some gems here that you may not have heard before. Admittedly, you would have heard Silent Night and Roy Wood's Wish it could be Xmas everyday. But Lowe and his band serve it up with a fresh and new approach.

In closing, it is exactly what it says on the box. It acknowledges Jesus, children, love and the family. It has elements of fun and warm sentiment and is full of good cheer. What more could you ask for? Needless to say, Lowe is in fine voice with the slow numbers and the uptempo tracks..
on 24 December 2013
A Christmas album with a difference, not the usual suspects reorchestrated and having no life, this album has skiffle that bounces along, it has a variety of treats for you to enjoy over the festive season well done nick
on 19 December 2014
I have quite a few Christmas albums of varying types, but this is currently my favourite. It is happy and quirky, beautifully played, and always puts me in a good mood when I've listened to it. I even find myself humming some of the tunes when it's not playing, which is quite something for a CD of non-traditional Christmas music.
There are guitars, harmonies, a theramin and an organ amongst other fab things, and the versions of Silent Night and I Wish It could Be Christmas Every Day are swinging and fun!
Have a listen and make your Christmas happier today!