Published 11 months ago by James Dennis

3.0 out of 5 stars Balearic Anjunadeep? Hope it's a blip
Published 12 months ago by Johnny Myo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophisticated, Focussed and Emotive - Anjunadeep reaches a new destination, 5 Aug 2013
I have come to review this as I feel strongly about the quality of this 5th volume of Anjunadeep. I own the previous 4 and have followed the direction this series has been going in. Consequently, before release I had an idea about what album may sound like, and not only was I right but it has surpassed all my expectations. This is why I am surprised to read some of the other comments here, as to me this album represents Anjunadeep at the absolute peak of it's interpretation of deep house. This album is clean, crisp and razor sharp. Throughout the journey, it is littered with taught, tight, percussive beats, meaningful majestic basslines, and dreamy vocals. Sophistication is the word that runs through the music on this production.

The earlier volumes are good but have not been my favourite in terms of sound. When I heard volume 4 last year it quickly became my favourite of the then 4 albums, however if Anjuna have been travelling along throughout the last 4 albums, then they have reached their destination with this 5th release. This is classic Anjuna sound, quirky but consistent and surprisingly emotive. This is the sort of dance that will be appreciated by young clubbers and dance music veterans of all generations. Weirdly, I could even imagine my parents liking this, I guarantee I could put it on and they would like it, however I don't think I could do that with the first 3 albums. If you want a feel for the album, go and youtube two songs, 5 and 13 from disc 1. These are stand out tracks from the off, and have become two of my all time favourites over night. In particular, track 13, Way You Know (Feat. Tania Zygar) - Matt Lange, this is one of the deepest, sexiest cleanest tunes I have ever heard. Perfection.

I have been wondering why there are some negative comments in some of these reviews. I think maybe this could seem like too clinical an album for some. Like all things in life, it is quality not quantity, and in truth most of the tracks here are simple. However that works and fits in perfectly with the Anjuna ethos, they can get away with going simple and scaling things back when what you do have is so good. If music could be likened to food, then Anjunadeep 5 is a fine dining michelin star affair, which won't disappoint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected..., 29 July 2013
J. Woodford - See all my reviews
If you have been fans of previous Anjunadeep albums then you will either love this 5th outing or listen to it a couple of times and forget it (as most of the reviewers appear to have done already). The reason why you will love it is because it is upbeat, soulful, and full of high quality house music, maintaining a fluid beat throughout the 2 CDs.

This is Anjunadeep more similar to the first release than any of the other ones, keeping it simple with a no frills deep house mix, less complex, less concerned with reinventing the wheel and more concerned with getting the listener to tap their feet and lose their self to the infectious beats. This could be the sound of the summer, which may sound surprising for an album with 'deep' in the title but deep house doesn't have to be restricted to being down tempo, dreamy, and immersive music, it can be appreciated just as much for being catchy, emotional, and joyous. This is how Anjunadeep should sound, with many of the tracks incorporating rich piano chords, silky smooth synths, and punchy bass lines. It's fair to say it is a more 'housey' vibe than expected (with layers of clicking hi-hats dominating most of the tracks) but that's ok with me, it does just as good a job of providing a blissfully chilled experience than previous 'Deep albums, only now this is an album that could just as easily be used as a summer party soundtrack.

This is undoubtedly the issue that will divide fans - is this an attempt to play it safe? It is definitely not as varied and complex as previous outings and because of this it may not be appreciated as much but do not confuse complexity with difficulty - this deserves just as much praise for track selection and production quality. That being said, the mixing at times is a little off with a handful of tracks fading out to make way for the next (again keeping it simple) but I don't think it takes much away from the flow of things.

Overall then this is undoubtedly going to be remembered as the marmite Anjunadeep which is probably going to reflect the 3.5 star average rating it will receive but I for one am just happy that 'Deep has made me forget how bad Anjunabeats 9 was. Yes it does sound like other deep house mixes (Renaissance Master Series for example) but the overall production quality and emotional focus still singles this out as another excellent (but different) Anjunadeep release. 4*/5*

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality deep house.. lacks in the mixing., 25 July 2013
P.Menelaou (Limassol, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
If you liked the other volumes in the Anjunadeep series and have't listened to any previews of the tracks in this one, I suggest you do. It's far from what the series sounded like until now. Anjunadeep05 takes a housey approach and with Jody Wisternoff (instead of Jaytech) on CD2, leaves behind the progressive trance sound.

Jame's disc starts off with the melodic 'Cardigan' which sets the quality bar very high. The mix moves slow, as it should, with luxury grooves and the usual deep house basslines. Halfway through the mix,things get groovier with 'Out of reach' and 'Nobody Else'. The 6 last tracks are pure bliss! James closes his mix with a Solarity track, with some electro 'deadmau5-like' chords,something like their 'Red' track on Anjunadeep02. Flaw: The transition from the first track (Cardigan) to the second (Let Go) is not very impressive.

Jody's mix is my favorite here, mostly because it is a dancier one and has a smooth flow. Every track is unique and I didn't find the overall mix repetitive, bland or boring at all. It's full of vocals and some nice lyrics. Although 'Alchemy' is a 2-year old track, Jody's remix sounds exciting and fresh, even though we never get to listen to the chorus. With 'Coming for you', Jody throws some UK garage,which surprisingly fits alright with the rest of the mix. Matt Lange's second track for the compilation, 'Only You', is also worth mentioning, mostly because of the chill vibe and atmosphere.Flaw: The mixing between the three last tracks could have been much better. The tracks just fade from one to the other.

So, even though it's different from the other volumes in the series, it's quality is on par with the preceding ones.

3.0 out of 5 stars Balearic Anjunadeep? Hope it's a blip, 26 July 2013
It's deep... but is it ANJUNAdeep? OK, that may seem like a bit of a pedantic or even a rhetorical question, as from the opening bars of James Grant's mix it's pretty clear that we're going to hear more of the pioneering new sound trumpeted my the dance music press around the release of 01 and 02 in the series. But here's the thing, the tunes on offer don't really surprise or thrill with the same immediacy as Grant's mixes on both 03 and 04.

It ticks over quite agreeably, if unremarkably, until Dusky save the day again (sort of) with their foray into a UK garage sound, Nobody Else. Trouble is, I've already heard this as far back as October last year, on their Radio 1 Essential Mix, so the pleasant surprise isn't such a surprise after all.

James Grant does display his production talents to the full, though, and his mix (with Andrew Bayer) of The Presets' "It's Cool" is the standout track for me, and I'm not usually the biggest fan of male vocals. Nevertheless, it transports me to a beach bar in Ibiza or Oludeniz much more than a party (of EITHER sort, if you know what I mean ;o) - before the mix ebbs away into Symbols by Solarity, a track so reminiscent of Red (the "Redder" mix) that you're left thinking, "Really?"

That said, I'd be happy if the Solarity/Dusky boys were to take over the curation of one of the discs on 06 (should there be an 06), as what comes next is a little bit of a shock for many of us who've been fanatical about this imprint from its inception.

Jody Wisternoff is an awesome DJ, producer and innovator, and what he's put together here is a mix that I'll be listening to again and again... and again.

HOWEVER, it's more beach bar than darkened room, often soulful yet happy-clappy and veering with gusto into hi-hat hell when it should be more stripped down. I wonder if that's the main reason release was put back so much, as the sound is very summery.

Opening track Ich Lass Dich Nicht Zurück by Peacemaker Project comes complete with a shimmering, uplifting sheen, courtesy of Jody himself (and the German-language vocal makes a pleasant, novel change, too) but brace yourself for a whole lotta vocals, including Aretha-style acrobatics at one point.

Wisternoff himself remixes Above and Beyond's Alchemy midway through the mix - it seems like A&B were included just to remind us that, yes. this IS an Anjuna release -- but that Jody had to reimagine it himself to get it to fit into the more familiar house vibe he's hitting us with on this disc.

In fact, you'll find his heavy fingerprints all over most of the tracks. It's deep enough, make no mistake about that, but I'm left with the nagging feeling that it doesn't sound distinct enough from the (many) deep house compilations now doing the rounds, quite possibly as a consequence of Anjunadeep's influence.

It would be silly to get all proprietorial over the series and suggest that Wisternoff "just doesn't get" Anjunadeep - clearly he does. But, to my ears, this - bar one or two tracks - is the deep house mix he'd have turned in for pretty much any label. And I'd have still listened to it. Goodness knows, I've battled through some really turgid "progressive" house releases by the like of Sasha and Digweed of late, while I looked at my watch and waited for Anjunadeep 05. I'll admit that even prior to release I was kind of apprehensive about it, as Jody Wisternoff's recent album, Trails We Blaze, left me completely cold - so on one level it's surpassed expectations.

But because the bar has been set SO high on previous outings, it's three stars from me. Good as it is, I wonder how many others are thinking, 'We waited 17 MONTHS... for that?'

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Anjunadeep yet, 25 Aug 2013
I own all the Anjunadeep albums and love all of them and still regularly listen to them. This latest however is the best yet. Both the cd's are great, especially the last few tracks on CD1 which are brilliant melodic house tracks. If you have liked any of the previous Anjunadeep albums then you will not be disappointed with this latest release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 15 July 2014
Great Anjunadeep album, in fact they have all been good to date, if you like deep, then snap it up.

I've listened so many times probably going to wear out the MP3's.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing albim, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Anjunadeep 05 (MP3 Download)
Great album really loving the tunes the album is also great for mixing with all the great drops and tunes love it keep it up anjunadeep :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars cool and funky, 2 Dec 2013
buy this if you love the Way Out West sound, you won;t be disappointed i promise you it is ab fab!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 24 Nov 2013
bye bye jaytech enjoy the letdown what the new anjunabeats is , not anjunadeep this label has caught my attention since day one , this music really is unique exiting deep house , shut your eyes whenever it be in the car , at home or even in a club at ear bleeding volume , this music is versatile and nothing comes close to this level. anjunadeep really is the very few compilations i will actually look forward to buying each year , anjunabeats has took a turn for the worse into a horrid trouse mess i thought anjunadeep would go down the same path but no thank god it hasnt it only gets better and better each year. i get fed up of the same rubbish on the radio all the time , labels like these need more credit in being unique and not letting the mainstream pull them in like anujunabeats suffered , buy this compilation , give it a try 9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfection., 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Anjunadeep 05 (MP3 Download)
the purity and quality of the sound throughout the album is just amazing. couldn't be happier with it. well worth the money for sure.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›