on 23 February 2015
Almost unbelievably bad, I say almost, as sadly I both bought it, and red part of it. I bought this while doing a smash and grab in an airport lounge, and wow did that come back to bite me as I was then stuck with the bloody thing.
The story is rubbish, the standard of the writing is astoundingly poor and the actual use of English is horrible.
The other major flaw is that the writer is clearly no genius, now normally this would not be an absolute show stopper, but when you are writing about characters who are supposed to be super intelligent and talking about behavioural control , and being “cunning” being a bit thick does not lead to convincing theories or dialogue on the basis that the characters can be no cleverer than the author which in this case sets a low, low, low bar.

Utter rubbish, don’t buy it, if you do buy it by mistake, burn it, burn it with fire.
on 10 November 2014
Utter dross. So poorly written it barely qualifies as English. The plot is derivative and lazy.
on 7 January 2015
Imagine; you're 4. You wanted to watch Return of the Jedi on the DVD player, for the bears, but they made you watch Die Hard instead. So you watch it and go off and write a story that combines the two. You get Assault Troopers and your mum thinks your a genius. Except all mums think that about their kids and she is way off the mark this time! Because this is utter rot.
Overview - Bruce Willis is fed up of being the last breath of humanity after space terrorists blow his world away. He attacks the Jello alien, kills lots of big terror aliens, lizard aliens and any other types of aliens he can find. Having shrugged off the dirty vest, our hero attacks in the buff.
At the end he drives off with the crumpet he wanted to impress.
I want a public inquiry into what made me buy this in the first place. I don't pick turds off the pavement so why did I buy this one?
on 5 November 2014
weak character, weak dialogue very disappointing writing.
on 29 November 2014
Although this book had a good story line frame work it just didn't achieve its potential. The story line was simplistic, the book lacked credibility and the hero continues to do impossible things. Science fiction is about taking the reader with you through the story and the characters. This book failed to do that for me. I will read the second book and see if it is any better.
on 13 February 2015
Deeply disappointed, it's like written by a young teenager, full of bravado and stupid conversations; don't waste your time and money.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 May 2015
I cannot state that I disliked this book. It was easy to read and I rather enjoyed it so I will rate it three stars, despite everything else.
“Everything else” essentially means that the book gave me the impression of being written to a formula. For me, the story was totally unoriginal to the extent that I had already read quite a few similar stories about “nasty” aliens with vastly more advanced technology destroying Earth (or simply threatening it, in milder versions), and the survivors becoming some kind of shock troops or mercenary force doing other aliens’ “dirty work” for them.

Character description is rather limited, to put it nicely. Our hero is, of course, a relentless though guy and a real “badass”, and some would say. He will, of course, kill the opposition and always be among the survivors, however impossible the odds may be and, of course, they are.

The problem with all this is that the story becomes unbelievable, at least at times, and some would say quite frequently! The various aliens are initially shown as terrifying, but the human assault troopers, despite horrific losses, always seem able to cut them to pieces and leave just about no survivors behind them.

The last point I will make is about style. This is one of these military science fiction pieces which are written in the first person in order to convey a sense of immediacy and urgency. Again, while unoriginal, it is the kind of ploy that works quite well here. Needless to say perhaps, do not expect any long and beautiful pieces of literature describing sceneries in choice terms! You simply will not find this in what is a rather typical “action-packed” military sci-fi novel.

No surprises at all here, as far as I was concerned, meaning neither “bad” nor “good” surprises.
on 24 December 2014
I bought this after buying the Lost Starship (a good bit of junky sci-fi that is easy reading and a good page turner) but... this is terrible and I dumped it after the first 20 or 30 pages. Badly written, appalling characters, terrible plot, and.. I just cant begin to describe how bad this. I like reading low-brow (probably even more than I like more complicated stuff at the moment as it can be great escapism but this is definitely one to avoid!).
on 29 April 2015
Utter Rubbish...... I really regret spending my hard earned cash of this Poorly written nonsense. Do yourself a favour and don't bother. I think I will start writing drivel like this and earn loads of Dough!!
on 7 April 2015
We are very much in the 1930's world of E E "Doc" Smith here! Earthmen are upright, honest, brave, fearless, and noble. Aliens are scumball slime to be fought and exterminated!! Whilst the author does not use the 'purple prose' of E E "Doc" Smith (ravening energies do NOT coruscate across the blackness of space!!), characters are equally cardboard cut-outs, and the reader is not engaged in caring about them.BUT the author does know how to keep the reader turning the page, and that is a fundamental skill of any author. Given a good editor (and proof-reader!), the author could produce some really good material.