on 7 June 2016
Loved it, good characters and a good story.
on 17 September 2013
I must start out by saying I did enjoy this book and look forward to the next. The characters were a little stereotypical, but then this type of storyline promotes certain character ideas. My biggest issue with this book though is the blatant "Borrowing" of ideas the author has taken from other peoples work, the Bio-suits and the whole rejection thing with them (spoiler alert) Stolen from a story I read 20 years ago. His plot twist with the enemy being different from who the protagonist initially believes it to be, hackneyed! Then the Jelk being something different (spoiler). The forerunners - stolen from Halo, along with a quasi-religious enemy! Enemy soldiers being 9ft tall tigers taken from the books of the great Larry Niven. And we have all seen the humans against the uncaring Universe story a few times before.
Ideas stripped from grandmaster authors and Video games and nailed together. However he didn't do a bad job just unoriginal and possibly actionable. I do hope that Heppner can develop this into something original and not rely on the work of others to make his life easier and the paychecks sweeter.
on 20 May 2014
Poorly written, story not particularly enthralling and repetitive descriptions .. really was pleased to get to the end of the book
on 25 July 2015
all three books done and dusted brill
on 9 January 2014
Another great story from one of the masters of Military SF. Hope you write a follow up, Vaughn, it would be great to find out what happens next to Creed, Jen and the rest of the squad.
on 10 November 2013
A really entertaining read. What I think is great 1950's style, traditional Sci-fi, fast paced and exciting. Highly recommended, you shouldn't be disappointed.
on 4 September 2013
Great story line, great characters and a loooooooooong read. I hate it whe the story keeps you gripped yet you turn the next page and it's ended. It's like reality TV, you spend more time shouting at the tv than being concerned about whats going on.
When you finish a book as good as this then you know when you start dreaming of it that it's had an effect on you. It did not belabour any points, bar the history lessons, but then that's just me as I can't abide 'the past'. But as with anything, I just skipped past those bits that didn't interest me and hey presto, I'm back trying to save our planet and kick some alien ass.
I can't wait for the follow up......there IS going to be afollow up isn't there.....isnt there......isnt there....have you done it yet?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse