on 29 April 2015
Utter Rubbish...... I really regret spending my hard earned cash of this Poorly written nonsense. Do yourself a favour and don't bother. I think I will start writing drivel like this and earn loads of Dough!!
on 6 July 2015
I enjoyed this book, quite different from the normal run of things... The main character showed a very human nature both strengths and weaknesses... As was the interplay between the various races... Look forward to reading the next.
on 25 November 2013
An average Sci-Fi novel. To many gaps in the story and I just could warm to the main character. I found it odd that the main characters seemed to find it extremely easy to just adapt to all the Alien technology in such a short space of time.
on 15 December 2014
The storey line is good enough, but I have no idea how this got past any decent editor. It is littered with spelling mistakes (e.g. marital in stead of martial - big difference!), grammatical errors including mixing tenses, and it is generally poorly written. I've not finished reading it yet and will probably persevere to the end but I don't think I will read any more from this author.
on 17 October 2014
Reads much like a book written in the 50's. It's not awful, but isn't great either. The hero just isn't quite believable enough. If you think sci-fi is too logical and Rambo is a great film you'll like this book. If not look elsewhere... say Jerry Pournelle (Future History series), Marko Kloos (Frontlines series)... Or Starship Troopers (the book the film sucks).
on 17 September 2013
I must start out by saying I did enjoy this book and look forward to the next. The characters were a little stereotypical, but then this type of storyline promotes certain character ideas. My biggest issue with this book though is the blatant "Borrowing" of ideas the author has taken from other peoples work, the Bio-suits and the whole rejection thing with them (spoiler alert) Stolen from a story I read 20 years ago. His plot twist with the enemy being different from who the protagonist initially believes it to be, hackneyed! Then the Jelk being something different (spoiler). The forerunners - stolen from Halo, along with a quasi-religious enemy! Enemy soldiers being 9ft tall tigers taken from the books of the great Larry Niven. And we have all seen the humans against the uncaring Universe story a few times before.
Ideas stripped from grandmaster authors and Video games and nailed together. However he didn't do a bad job just unoriginal and possibly actionable. I do hope that Heppner can develop this into something original and not rely on the work of others to make his life easier and the paychecks sweeter.
on 4 November 2014
The cover illustrators phallic obsession aside (I mean, really!? I shudder to think what the mother ship looks like!!), this is a pretty good sci-fi novel so far. About half way through and enjoying it. Kind of anti-hero type lead (think Riddick and you won't be far wrong). Slightly different twist on the usual alien invasion type story which is nice to see. Worth a 99p punt anyway.
on 9 October 2013
This book, though it has a few interesting ideas, is full of 2 dimensional characters and a simplistic storyline, I couldn't bring myself to care about any of it.
on 17 November 2014
This is not exactly sophisticated literature but so what? Like junk food, you wouldn't want to live on it but every now and then it's great fun. It's barely even science fiction, just unashamed space opera but hey, it's a real page turner. The sheer exuberant pace of the story is thrilling. I feel that to judge it by standards is doesn't pretend to is missing the point. It is what it is. A dirty little secret perhaps but I think I'll have just one more helping.
on 10 April 2015
Yup, I enjoyed this. New ideas, new plans and new combatants. Plucky humans under the gun again but the aliens don't know about our mean nature. Well worth a read so give it a go. You can always eat your bone while waiting for book two. Woof woof.