4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, huge versatile range, but a few drawbacks
I was quite keen to try the FZ72 after using quite a few big zoom models recently.
It's a decent camera in many ways, the main appeal is the massive zoom range which is one of the biggest out there to date, but beyond that the 20mm super wide angle is unique among bridge models (most are 24-28mm at the wide end)

The camera is quite well featured with your...
Published 4 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Good camera but disappointing lack of key features
This is a nice camera, and I love it. It feels and looks great, takes great pictures and is packed with features like the ability to sleect aperture priority or chutter priority as well as full auto programme mode and a host of otrher shooting modes. The camcorder mode is pretty good too and the 60x optical zoom is mint. One big disappointment though, Panasonic,...
Published 2 months ago by R. Stephens

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, huge versatile range, but a few drawbacks, 24 Mar 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Panasonic DMC-FZ72EB-K Lumix Camera - Black (16.1MP, Super Telephoto 60x Optical Zoom, 20mm Ultra Wide Angle Lens) (Camera)

The camera is quite well featured with your usual abundance of Panasonic modes and decent quality HD video
As well as having raw which is welcomed on all models like this.
Image quality is quite good at the longer end of the zoom range, but not so great at the wider angles. Like most smaller sensors it does fairly well in good lighting conditions, but suffers from degraded images in lower light.

My quick summary of pros and cons

Pros:
+ Big zoom range covering 20mm - 1200mm (35mm equivalent)
+ Decent image quality at the longer end of the zoom (in good light), but contrast does drop off a bit
+ Good battery life, you can get nearly 400 shots out of the camera which is quite good for a camera or this type
+ Has a good size built in memory 200MB (which is useful to have)
+ Controls are quite logical and easy to use, 2 stage zoom speed
+ Has a hot shoe and stereo mic windshield
+ HD video quality was pretty good even zooming in the AF did a good job, details were decent for a bridge model
+ Has RAW which is always nice to see

Cons:
- 20mm was a bit weak with smearing in the corners and CA was quite visibile (CA goes away zooming in mostly), big zoom range seems to have compromised the wide angle on the lens
- Small lower resolution EVF 202k dots which is usable but far from great
- Rear LCD is quite decent at 460k but is fixed and not articulated
- Lack of fine detail in images even at lower ISO levels, raw can help here but for a jpeg shooter it does struggle a bit, I'd avoid going above ISO 800 if possible.
- No eye sensor on EVF (you have to press the button to switch between monitor and viewfinder)

The FZ72 isn't a bad camera, it's a good one the problem is having used a good few other models being honest I think the image quality could be a tad better, and I have to say I think the FZ200 whilst it's not pefect is the best Lumix to date in the bridge category, you get a much better viewfinder, more controls, a constant f2.8 lens, a fully articulated LCD and I feel better image quality, even if you are cropping to get more telephoto the FZ-200 seems to be the way to go.

There are other alternatives like the HS50exr with it's fast phase detect AF, the XS-1 has stronger image quality and it's cheaper too (but bigger and with less range), it's a tough choice out there for big zoom shooters. Being honest I was a little disappointed with the 20mm wide end I would rather have a "good" 24mm than a weaker 20mm. But if you're not pixel peeping you'll be quite happy with the camera

For the FZ72 to be a must buy I'd like a slightly cheaper price. I honestly think the FZ200 is the one to go for (it does cost more but overall it's a stronger camera), or look around at some other makers who have viable options. Maybe Panasonic were being a bit optimistic trying a 20-1200mm massive zoom. On the other hand if you don't want to stretch the extra cash outlay on the FZ200, this is still a pretty good choice.

I think it's a good camera but there are a lot of options for buyers in this price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed, 30 Oct 2013
I'll start with the drawbacks of the camera.

Ok, that's that out of the way.

Zoom has to be seen to be believed. The first shot I took was maxed out to 60x. The image stabilization is uncanny. The reaction to the result is a mix of disbelief and sudden realisation that you have the next step in techno-zoom-wizardry in your hands.

Early days, but indications are very positive. Macro ability is as good as I need, though that makes it sound sound as if it's only adequate. It's good. The 20mm wide angle is superb.

Image stabilization is only going to do so much for you and I can't help thinking that some people must be chucking the camera around whilst snapping and assuming they'll get clear pictures. Though this camera performs technological miracles, it's unable to completely defy the laws of physics. After reading other opinions about the image quality, I was on the lookout for flaws. Again, it's just fine by me - and I've had Leicas with supreme glass, Pannies, high end Nikon glass so there are some pretty stiff yardsticks for me if I wanted to quibble. But I don't.

It is what it is. I'm impressed. It really can have a decent shot at all things, from absurdly long telephoto to more than adequate wide angle and macro. Not even broached the video yet.

I'll update at any point with any information that may be useful. I can say this camera appears to be a bucketful of fun in the making and I've only been playing. I wasn't keen on the plasticky feel of it at first, but given what's going on underneath, I've already almost forgiven that and as already mentioned, I have some examples of legendary build-quality as yardsticks so it's a little unfair.

5.0 out of 5 stars new landmark in superzoom., 14 Sep 2013
I love this camera. The 65x zoom is incredible, and for it to then zoom back to a 20mm wide angle is really amazing. The lens, with another twitch on the lever, goes to a really good super macro mode, which I am particularly interested in. This configuration of lenses does away with carrying around all those expensive extra lenses that you need with other cameras. It has a lot of features that I am still getting to grips with, but they all seem to be well thought out and helpful. You will find that you need to buy an extra battery to keep charged up, as all the electronics and mechanical motors use up your power quite rapidly, which is only to be expected. Quality of build is very good and it feels "right" in the hand and is intuitive to use. My one caveat, but this applies to all modern cameras, is that they are all designed for right handed people, and people like my wife, who is very left handed, have found it very difficult to use...gap in the market there for some enterprising entrepreneur!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant., 26 Sep 2013
T. Hatchman "tina-Niko-Hatchman" (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is one of the best bridge camera's there are on the market. I have DSLR which i find heavy to carry around with all the lenses. This covers every possible lens i could need for zoo trips and holidays. I took it to Tunisia with me from the 11th - 25th september 2013. I used the video and i used the zoom at every end of the scale. The moon shots i got are some of the best i have ever taken. You can see everything you need too! I will load up some shots. The colours are true to life, rich and detailed. Videos were perfect when out at sea near the fish farm watching. the dolphins. Now wind could be heard blowing at all!
Im a true fan of this camera. Its a brilliant price and it does what it says on the box and ten times more. The only thing that did niggle me was the full instruction book. it was on a CD> You could print it off but it was 257 pages long. I decided to buy a copy off a well known auction site. That was my holiday reading sorted lol.
Go on buy this camera. You will love it as much as i did.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 27 Mar 2014
T. Brett (England) - See all my reviews
I wanted a camera that can do point and shoot, be intelligent enough to know when to burst shoot, but also have enough Manual Functions to take it to the next level. It does everything id ask and more. super camera, nice, light, very professional. the battery lasts an age, ive not been caught out (yet), the zoom is unbelievable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Very good for the money., 16 Jun 2014
People will buy this camera for TWO reason only the ZOOM ability and ULTRA WIDE ability so I assume most people will just want to read about them so:
1) ZOOM - is exceptional, no obvious distortion and the stabilizer keeps the image pretty shake free.
2) ULTRA WIDE angle is as it says much wider than a standard lens and wider than most. When fully panned out the images do have a bit of blurring in the usual doughnut type pattern (fish eye effect) but the images do not make straight lines obviously curved. I bought two of these for use in Estate Agency so need a good wide angle but not one that looks silly making some rooms look like a sports hall and it works well. Over all for the money, I doubt you'll find a better all round camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 24 Jan 2014
Mr. Leslie J. Moore (It's grim oop North! -Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I chose this camera for the zoom setting and the fact that,as it is a bridge camera,I do not need separate lenses. This is important to me due to the increasing weight restrictions on aircraft.
I am really impressed with the camera,after using it for a month now.
Previously I had a Panasonic FZ45 which I also liked a lot.
The zoom is really impressive,and so is the Panoramic feature.
I have taken some really good shots of crowd scenes,close ups, seascapes and buildings.
If you want to be lazy,the IA feature is the setting for you. Let the camera work out the settings,and you take the credit.
The only minor (very minor) is the response time to full zoom,when photographing birds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied with this camera, 3 July 2014
Satisfied with this camera,bought it mostly for the zoom.Image stabilization and focus are very good.Does need a lot of light to take good pictures otherwise it will increase ISO or exposure to compensate,which will result in not so good images.Also Jpeg pictures are not so good(I'm using only Raw because of this)but I think so most bridge cameras with this kind of sensor .It has a lot of features and for this price I think it's very good.
Another thing: Panasonic is offering 30 cashback on this camera,but I didn't get it cause they said it wasn't from an affiliated retailer .Even though I bought it from Amazon ,it was a 3rd party retailer who actually sold it.On their website,Panasonic doesn't say who are those affiliated retailers.So if you consider buying this camera you better check with the seller about this cashback from Panasonic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good camera for the enthusiastic amateur, 2 Mar 2014
I have owned this camera for a month now and it continues to amaze me with what it can do with the impressive ability to take standard pictures up to amazing zoom shots without having to change lens. I cant wait until the summer when I can really put it through its paces. The only annoying aspect is the lack of a physical instruction manual. What is the point of having instructions to download to a computer. Who carries a computer or tablet around to refer to when out taking pictures? For heaven sakes Panasonic, add a few quid to the price and print a manual! It is for this reason only that I demote this camera to 4 stars. Incidentally I have just paid 14 to [...] to send me a paper manual. Then I will really be ably to learn how to operate this camera as so far I have only used about 10% of its capability.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best purchase I've made on Amazon, 9 July 2014
This is the best purchase I've made on Amazon. Amazing Camera, wonderful quality photos, easy to use. I will admit I am an amateur but it's easy to produce amazing results and learn more about photography with a Camera like this. The 20mm lens means my landscape photos have been amazing and whilst it isn't brilliant in low-light, it isn't shabby by any means and the optical zoom and wealth of options on the camera make up for anything this camera might appear to lack. If you're looking for a starter camera and not ready yet to drop money on a more expensive model, and want to learn more about photography, then this is the Camera for you.