5.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware!!
Published on 14 Dec 2012 by Josh N

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much chance of being led into the dark side
I picked this up because I thought that Lucas was finally allowing people to choose whether they wanted to watch the original versions of these movies or the so-called enhanced versions. From the outer box it would seem so. However, this box contains a nasty and mean spirited surprise.
Yes- the new versions of the film are in Dolby Digital sound, anamorphically...
Published on 13 Dec 2009 by J. M. Greer

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware!!, 14 Dec 2012
Please be aware that several product pages lead to this strain of reviews. I have seen reviews claiming that there set did not contain the original unaltered versions as they had read in reviews and as such were dissapointed. Multiple versions of the original trilogy lead to this string of reviews, the Blu Ray set released in 2011 does not contain the unaltered versions. The DVD trilogy release from 2004 does not contain them either it is only the remastered copies. If you are looking for a trilogy that contains the untampered originals then insure that the eproduct you are buying was released in 2008, and that the picture on the front cover is one of Luke and Darth Vader with lightsabres clashed with a blue light coming from behind them. All other versions do not include the originals, that for any die hard fan are must owns! However there are plenty of reviews here on the content, I just wanted to clear up that issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!, 15 May 2007
Neil Goodacre - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The biggest shame about this release is that, despite more modifications and improvements, the scenes added in for the Special Editions are still rubbish. In Episode IV, for example, Han firing first told us everything we needed to know about his no-nosense character. But now, where he and Greedo fire at the same time, we're left thinking that he's just jammy and completely un-skilled. Great. And the scene with Jabba. Why anyone ever thought to pick this up from the cutting room floor is beyond me.

Episode V seems to have been the least mucked-about with, and some of the alterations to cloud city are actually improvements. Episode VI still works well, although the ridiculous sing-song in Jabba's palace spoils the former half of the film. Also, why is the young Anakin there at the end? Surely Vader turned back to the good side when he killed the Emperor, so the last time he was good was as an old man. Pfft... Who can tell what goes through uncle George's mind some times...

Now, I would give the films 4 stars. 5 stars for the films, -1 star for the messed up scenes. Where this boxed set gets its fifth star back is with the fourth disk. There is a lot of footage on here that I haven't seen anywhere else and it is almost worth splashing out on the box for this disk alone.

So there you have it. Three of the world's best movies, made not so good but saved by the bonus features. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars 'Special Edition' Trilogy, 20 Feb 2004
As far as I can remember I have always had a copy of the Star Wars movies in the house, My Parents (mum especially) are avid fans and I was bought up on the Star Wars Phenomenon. Try and imagine that when 'a New hope' (Star Wars IV) was seen for the first time at the cinema, people were blown away by the sheer size of the movie, it's Special FX, sound and Music. WOW. Still today we we can marvel at the work that George Lucas, Rick McCallum and the entire cast and crew put in to make these three masterpieces. Some of the cast have carried and had successful careers in the Film industry thank to starring these movies.
Although I feel a little let down by the last two movies (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones), this due to a few reasons, I can'y turn my back on what is a 'magical' experience when I watch these three movies. If you've never watched Star Wars before, WHY NOT? do yourself the favor and do it today.
Some people might criticise Lucas for 're-making' the Trilogy, call it what you want, but it was his way of finishing the project and adding just a little more to an already amazing Trilogy. Plus it gave many people my age (who were too young at the time) a chance to see these movies on the Big Screen for the first time.
My favorite Movies of all time.........

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of the greatest cinematic experiences of all time, 22 April 2008
Mr. D. Woods "dwoods92" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I can't really begin to do justice to how much I absolutely adore the original 'Star Wars' trilogy but they rank among my favourite movies and still have the power to sweep me away on a fantastical tide of pure excitement and escapism. This first release on DVD only featured the Special Edition versions of 'Star Wars IV: A New Hope', 'Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back' and 'Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi', which has bizarrely had many fans up in arms over their sentiment but, quite frankly, who cares? None of the changes have altered the effect of George Lucas' finest work, though admittedly Han Solo DID shoot first! In fact, one change even improves things, with Ian McDiarmid now appearing in place of Clive Revell as The Emperor in 'Empire Strikes Back'. Any criticism over Lucas' tinkering boils down to nitpicking in my humble opinion. All that Star Wars goodness is baked right in, so just immerse and enjoy yourself in that galaxy far, far away!

The magic of the original films is still gloriously evident, no matter how many times you watch them. The story is simple but captivating, the characters engaging and memorable and even the 'unique' dialogue works a treat. The effects, while a little dated, remain fabulous and still make you feel as though you're in a different universe. And Darth Vader has got to be the best damn movie villain of all time! I still tingle when I hear the immortal line, "No! I am your father..." WHAT? No way!

'Empire' is arguably the best of the trilogy, feeling slightly edgier than the other two, but all are great films and the 'Star Wars' experience is best viewed as one epic saga, rather than three separate stories. Forget the bloated CGI of the so-so prequels, forget the additional Stormtroopers and revisit cinema's greatest feat of escapism. A truly wonderful collection that any 'Star Wars' fan should want to own.

4.0 out of 5 stars The way they should have always been..., 18 Oct 2009
G Parnell "Spoon" (UK, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Well, we all know what the films are about - so there's not really much to be said about the three films, so more to what this boxset entails itself...

The Prequal trilogy contains both the much tinkered with, loathed or loved re-releases with the added CGI - and the originals which by far are vastly superior. Having never seen the original films until now, I agree that they are in so many ways better versions, because somehow they feel more "real." Flouncy CGI tends to date films, and looking at the two versions of each film side by side, the originals look newer than George's tinkered with versions.

Each of the films comes in its own slimline DVD case, newer version on one side and orginal (marked out by original artwork as well) on the other.

So, with the option to pick whichever version is your preferred, the one thing that does spring to mind is that the bonus disc - which included the fabulous Empire of Dreams documentry on earlier releases, is sadly missing from this boxset. The films have nothing in the way of extras, which in some ways is a little disappointing as there still is no true "definitive" boxset of all six films with the extras to quench our appetites. Whenever George might get round to this is anyone's guess.

But at this price, you can't go far wrong... and it is nice to see the originals on DVD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much chance of being led into the dark side, 13 Dec 2009
J. M. Greer (Hexham, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Yes- the new versions of the film are in Dolby Digital sound, anamorphically enhanced picture and THX mastering. However,the original versions are in a matted 4:3 format (ie not enhanced for a widescreen tv)and are in basic (and I do mean basic) stereo soundtrack. It looks like somebody filmed it in the cinema on a camcorder.
This is a bit like a photography book which has one half printed on high quality colour paper stock and the other half printed on yellowing newsprint.
There is absolutely no reason that the original versions cannot be displyed with the same level of picture and sound as the new versions and even if Lucas cannot be bothered bringing the sound up to 5.1 there is absolutely no excuse for not making the dvds anamorphic for widescreen tvs.
The only conclusion is that Lucas does not trust the public to make their own mind up. He wants to ensure that people think 'Gee they have really improved these clunky old movies' rather than 'Why did they ruin the simplicity of these films by jamming them up with lots of unnecessary CGI effects'. The way he is doing this is by making the discs of the old stuff as bad as possible.
Lucas deserves a rasperry for this. I am sure I will enjoy watching the new versions despite myself but this is a bad way to treat your fans and customers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much loved childhood memories in box set form, 26 Feb 2005
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
Enough has been said about this DVD box set already with the latest Lucas additions dissected and discussed in depth. Is there wisdom in what has been done to the original Star Wars Triology? For me, I seem to lack the cynacism that has been accompanying the series in recent years. As a little boy, I dreamed of being able to own my very own green lightsaber. I still remember the disbelief of unwrapping one many years ago on Christmas day and the excitement I got out of what was essentially a big plastic tube with a light in it. Then again I also remember being taken to see Darth Vader at Debenhams (of all places) and 'shatting myself silly' at the huge dark figure of Mr Vader. It was a story that everyone bought into at the time and was a way of life. You just accepted it. So should you accept the tweakings to your childhood memories? After seeing the new additions to the films, watching them through is still like seeing them for the first time. I STILL want to own a lightsaber (I have seen a rather natty one for sale, but I don't have £100 to throw about) and I'm always going to love these movies. I like the new ones too, I still embrace them without the needless cynacism and po-faced seriousness that others tend to nowadays. Perhaps we are taking what in essence is a good fun piece of entertainment far too seriously. In fact put all whining and moaning at 'editing this', 'Ewoks that', 'JarJar Binks whatever' aside. The simple premise of this film is to be a piece of lighthearted, feel good family entertainment. The 20 or so years that this film has been in our consciousness has put the fanboys in an uproar at any little minor tweaking that has happened to the film. I don't think ANY action he took with this series would have satisfied the rather picky public, so rather than fight it, just trust to his vision and enjoy things. I'm sure that the changes to these films are not utterly ruining their viewing experience. Perhaps old George could have stuck an user defined function into the DVD, letting you construct the movie to play in original or modified format. Thats all by the by now though, this is how it is to be for now and I'm more than happy to have it sitting in my house.
This box set includes a bonus disc of documentaries. Trailer freaks can see the original (and AWFUL!) teaser trailer for Star Wars which avid fan James Lavelle used as a sample to open his Psyence Fiction album with. Following in the footsteps of the all encompassing Lord Of The Rings documentaries is a full history of the creation of Star Wars. All the major players chip in and it is an enlightening experience to see casting tapes of the likes of Kurt Russell auditioning for the original film. Its also nice to see that Lucas DID actually end up coming onto Empire Strikes Back to assist with the creation of it. One in the eye for all those slating his changes to the recent edition as 'messing with someone elses work'. Considering these films were made in a time when you wouldn't have even dreamed of the concept of a DVD extras disc, the amount of rare footage and interesting factoids are a joy to watch. Its nice to see how people made the film you love, and its also amazing to see the impact that the series had on the movie making process at that time, the struggles Lucas had to have control of his own vision and his single minded ambition to succeed.
So why the four stars then? Well this is where the cynacism finally gets the better of me. Look at the timing of this release, a lovely box set released just before the advent of Episode 3. We've seen it before with this series, its 'final and ultimate box set' PR blurbs. I'm already anticipating a huge all encompassing 6 film box set to come once Episode 3 finishes its run at the cinema. Perhaps an exercise to squeeze even more money out of one very fat cash cow. One star off purely for that, I'll save the big 5 for when the 'Ultimate Ultimate' edition surfaces.
For now, being able to see those very special films again in digital glory, its more than worth the money. Plus I'm sure I can auction it off for some £-age when the 'big mumma' box set eventually arrives!

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome Star Wars Trilogy box, 9 Mar 2008
Mikael Pulliainen (Hyrynsalmi, Finland) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic DVD box. Actually in my opinion this is the most stylish and the best Star Wars Trilogy box available. The metal tin box looks really cool and it's perfect if you, for example, want to put this DVD box on display on a shelf.

And then to DVD's themselves. So the movies are the updated versions from 2004. Personally I like most of the changes they made, for example the new improved Jabba in A New Hope and Ian McDiarmid as the emperor in The Empire Strikes Back. The change I don't understand is the scene "Hayden as the spirit of Anakin" in the end of Return of the Jedi. Another update I don't like that much is the scene "Greedo shoots first" This doesn't bother me that much but I think Han seemed more badass in the original version where Greedo actually never got a chance to shot.

The sound and picture qualities are great and I'm very happy that they improved some of the effects such as lightsabers, blasters and explosions. The Bonus Disc has entertaining bonus features such as the two hour-plus document "Empire of Dreams", TV Spots, trailers, still galleries etc. which are surely interesting especially for the fans.

If you like Star Wars and you don't have the original trilogy on DVD then this is an absolute must-have collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Warning, 11 Dec 2004
The Star Wars Trilogy is a must have for star wars fans, it is the definitive collection of this wicked saga. However be warned if you are a traditionalist and love the original movies you may be slightly outraged at this collection. I was watching the films and thought A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back were absolutely breathtaking with re-mastered graphics and THX 5.1 surround sound, they could not be better, however I was slightly disapointed when it came to the Return Of The Jedi. Why Lucas made the changes he did I will never know. The changing of Boba Fetts voice I can handle as it is fairly small however don't wreck the end of the entire saga by changing the original Anakin Skywalker spirit (Sebastian Shaw) with Hayden Chirstensen, it just doesn't make any sense.
All in all, the Star Wars trilogy is amazing and it a definite must buy for all fans of the films, but don't watch it expecting it to be the originals, or even the re-mastered editions as you will be disappointed with some changes made.

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible, 9 Dec 2007
RD - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I borrowed this off a friend on a whim. I vaguely remember bits of the movies from when I was a child but have never been particularly intersted in watching them as it seemed a very fantasy/futuristic, 'boys and toys' type series. I must confess to being blown away.
The storyline is interesting and the effects/sets are amazing for movies made in the late 70's and 80's. I swear it tops some of the rubbish you see nowadays when you can just tell its computer simulated. I never once felt things were just dragging along even though they are lengthy films. Humour and action packed scenes are available in abundance but so are ones of romance and inner turmoil.
All in all the star wars trilogy was truly ahead of its time and should be watched by anyone willing to expand their imaginations and take it all in. I understand now why it has lasted the test of time. Enjoyable stuff!

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy (Episodes IV-VI) [DVD] [1977]