Style Name: 7-Port USB 2.0|Change
Price:£5.49 - £32.67

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 January 2011
Style Name: 4-Port Ultra Mini USB 2.0|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I agree with the gist of other reviews; this is a handy and compact USB mini hub that allows you to connect more devices without cluttering up your workspace. I have a very old laptop with only one USB port so this device has really improved its capabilities. Being so compact and light I'd say it was designed with laptop users in mind. I also find it very helpful for leaving connected to my iMac which has its USB ports in an inaccessible place behind the display.

My two criticisms are firstly that the cable is short which means you'll need an extension cable if you plan to use it at a distance from your pc. And secondly, the spacing between the ports is quite narrow meaning that some USB pen drives and other direct plug in devices won't fit next to each other. I suppose this is an inevitable limitation of a compact hub but it's worth knowing in advance.

It's good value and adds to my positive impression of the Amazon Basics line of products.
22 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Absolutely fine - really everything you would need in a mini-hub. I find it very convenient to be able to have all my devices permanently connected to the PC, and this hub takes care of that function perfectly. I have noticed no reduction in performance on either of the two external hard-drives I have connected, or on the USB turntable.

Once again, Amazon Basics need to be praised for their no-nonsense packaging. Plain, re-usable boxes with no unnecessary waste.

The one slight minus is that the cable is less than nine inches long, so may be left dangling behind your PC, thus making the spaghetti mess there even worse. It would have been much more sensible to have a metre of cable, so the hub could sit some distance away from the PC.
on 4 February 2015
I bought this to have some free USB 2.0 ports available for my system while having two devices permanently connected.
Unfortunately that configuration did not work for me as the 2 devices (razer headset & Xbox controller) had a compatability issue when connected at the same time. The audio would stop from the headset or the Xbox controller would stop working randomly. I tested the devices individually to my computer and there were no problems.
The USB cable provided was also very short so I had to use an extension cable. The hub is very lightweight and plasticity and doesn't feel well constructed,
I tested other devices like flash drives and bus powered portable hard drives and did not have any issue with those.

I have since purchased another powered USB hub for nearly the same price. This one has better build quality and has no compatibility issues with any devices I tested and has the same amount of ports.

VINE VOICEon 15 May 2014
Style Name: 10-Port USB 3.0|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A lovely design, and the perfect number of ports to keep even me happy, however mine had a significant issue with the power cutting out and locking the hub up every 15 or so minutes, Wouldn't have been such a problem if I wasn't using for my wireless keyboard and mouse.

I have since replaced it with the superb Anker 7 port hub and had no problems.
on 18 March 2014
Originally I had a 5 star review for this hub. This I unfortunately have to change now.

After about 3 months my original hub stopped working. The way it happens is that all the ports stop working when it comes to data. Power still works on both the USB cable going to the PC and the mains adapter. It's just the data that stops working.

Sometimes it starts working again after unplugging and plugging the data cable back. Often a PC reboot is required however, and then it only works if the hub is plugged in while the PC reboots.
This has been tried on several different computers, and I have the same result everywhere.

I figured that I had a faulty device, and got it replaced by Amazon free of charge. Now, a few months later, my new hub starts doing the same, if anything it's slightly worse.

Do not recommend, spend a bit more on something of higher quality instead.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 November 2014
This is a decent USB hub. I like being able to plug devices into the front. This is a feature that many USB hubs don;t have and it is very useful. This USB hub has two issues. The first (very minor problem) is that it has a very large red light on the front to indicate that it's on. This is annoying, but I covered it with some electrical tape.

The second (more annoying) problem is that my hard drives randomly eject from it. I usually have two hard rives plugged into it and up to two devices charging from it. It is plugged into the mains and connected to my Mac. Sometimes, one hard drive will randomly eject from my computer. I have to unplug the drive from the hub and plug it in again. I don't know if I have a defective unit, but it's slightly frustrating.

I still give this product 3 stars because it works reasonably and charges devices well. It is also very good for the price - similar products cost up to twice the price.
on 8 December 2014
[To be clear, since Amazon has a tendency to lump together reviews for different variants of a product category, I'm reviewing here the AmazonBasics 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub with 12 V / 3 A Power Adapter]

The item itself is a neat unit: 5 USB ports at the rear and two USB ports marked 'fast' at one side. Let's get the only downside out of the way immediately. The two 'fast' ports are, I believe, intended to indicate 'fast' as in power charging rate rather than data transmission rate. Hopefully all 7 ports are fully USB 3.0 in data speed. However, even these two 'fast' ports are unable to kick out enough juice to convince an iPad that it's charging. When I connect an iPad to these ports, iTunes springs in to life (oh how I hate that, but that's an issue for another discussion elsewhere) so clearly the PC I have knows the device is there. But the iPad resolutely stays with the message "Not charging" up next to the battery indicator symbol. But it lies. It is actually charging, just extremely slowly. Sorry, that should be e-x-t-r-e-e-e-m-e-l-y slowly. I would honestly have thought that a mains-powered USB hub could have performed better than this. Yes, I know it's Basics but I can't believe that supplying, say, a 5A adapter would have been any more expensive than a 3A one. And with some extra electricity available, it could have been allocated to the ports a bit better than it is at present.

There. That's it. The only gripe out of the way. Packaging was simple as ever from this range. Installation was literally just plug all the bits in. And all the equipment I've attached so far has worked. iPad, phone, two USB sticks etc. There's not actually a lot you can review about a USB hub. It either works or it doesn't.

So, lose a star for not meeting my charging expectations and for being late as a Prime delivery. I like it, I just don't love it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 September 2014
Style Name: 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
USB ports are at a premium on my computer and laptop. So many peripherals require USB connection and many of them I use at the same time.

Keyboard and mouse, even wireless ones, require connection to a USB port - wireless requires a receiver to be plugged in.

Headsets - which I use almost continuously when using my computer/laptop requires a USB port

Printer, scanner, hdd drive, optic/blu-ray drives, projector, speakers all require connection by USB and that's only a small amount of the peripherals I have in use daily.

I already owned a USB 4 Port Hub but I have recently discovered that even an extra 4 ports weren't enough as I was having to disconnect one thing to plug in another.

When I saw this I thought I would give it a try and it works alongside my other USB hub extremely well. It gets its power from your computer so there is no need to find a socket to plug it into which is great for use with a laptop.

It works perfectly with all ports in operation and there is no perceivable drop in operating speed or standard.

Overall I am exceptionally happy with this USB port hub it is definitely a handy thing to have when you are travelling away from home and want to be able to use a number of peripheral items but don't have the necessary number of ports on your laptop/pad/etc.
on 7 May 2014
This is necessary for my MacBook pro (used as a desktop, in clamshell mode) as it isn't over-endowed with USB ports. Of the two USB sockets on the MacBook, I reserve one for the output to my off-board DAC which feeds my HiFi, and use the other for this replicator from which I feed my iPhone and iPads. It works fine, apart from two occasions when it seems to have 'hung'; disconnecting the power for a few seconds sorted it out. The device itself is a good size, but the cable from the transformer to the mains socket is stonking - it looks as though it could supply a block of flats! When connected, my iPad still generates the on-screen warning that it's not charging, even though I have plugged it into a 'fast' port. But it is.
Recommended.
on 4 March 2014
NOTE: THIS REVIEW APPLIES ONLY TO THE 7-PORT USB 2.0 PRODUCT WITH TWO HIGH-CURRENT OUTPUTS. OTHER PRODUCTS SHOWN HERE WILL BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY.

Rather than having a power supply for my Raspberry Pi and another power supply for a hub, I wanted to power the Pi from the hub. The trouble is that most hubs will only supply 500mA per port, which is not really enough for a Pi. Some hubs tout a higher-current "charging mode" option, but that usually requires the attached device to actively request the extra power. Since the Pi just connects the power terminals and no data, that wont work. This hub is simpler insofar as it just allows a higher current draw of 1.2A from two of the ports.

That means a slightly incestuous arrangement of two cables where the Pi is powered from the hub and also connected to the input of the hub, but it does work well and saves on one mains power adapter. Note this hub does not "back-power" the Pi down the host cable.

The hub itself is rather smaller than I expected (not a bad thing), and the base plate can be attached to the side instead to allow a horizontal mount. That does mean the hub has an ugly lump sticking out of the side when mounted vertically. It is a very light device so, with up to 8 USB cables plus the power cord, it is no way going to stay where you put it unless you stick it down. It can be fiddly to insert cables or devices into the closely-packed sockets, so probably best not plan to use this for anything other than a semi-permanent setup.

I haven't really stressed the capabilities of the hub, but, in addition to the Pi power, I have had 4 real devices attached, including an external HDD also powered from this hub, and it behaves perfectly.

I was impressed with Amazon's "frustration free" packaging, being easy to open and made almost entirely of recyclable card.

Overall I like the functionality and would buy another one, but I would have preferred a simpler shape without the stand and a more accessible layout of sockets given, judging from it's weight, it must have mostly empty space inside it.