5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Started with Microsoft Lync Server 2013
I have recently been given the pleasure of reviewing "Getting Started with Microsoft Lync Server 2013" written by Fabrizio Volpe Microsoft Directory Services MVP. I was approached directly by the publisher "Packt Publishing" but before agreeing to review this book, I made sure Fabrizio was ok for me to do so.

The title itself explains what the book is about and...
Published 16 months ago by Andrew Price

1.0 out of 5 stars Not getting started - Installing
Published 6 months ago by Martin Laslett

1.0 out of 5 stars Not getting started - Installing, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Getting Started with Microsoft Lync Server 2013 (Kindle Edition)
A little disappointed - it was called "Getting started" but was in fact a description of installation in a multi server architecture and not helping me get started at all. I wanted a basic overview of how it works and a simple set up for proof of concept, which this book did not provide. I thought that the style was awkward - maybe not written in the Author's first language

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin..., 1 Aug 2013
If you're looking for a quick reference for getting Lync 2013 up and running then this is definitely a worthy candidate!

It covers all the basics quite well, adds extra detail which you wouldn't necessarily learn just by installing the product yourself and gives some nice references to various blogs and TechNet articles for further reading.

What it doesn't do is give you as much detail as some of the other books out there. In fact with some books numbering 900+ pages and this book weighing in at just over 100, one might be forgiven that a great deal of detail is missing! :)

It isn't. The salient points to "Getting Started with Microsoft Lync Server 2013" are all there. Essentially, it does what it says on the tin! However, further reading is definitely recommended (like the aforementioned blogs and TechNet articles).

Migration from older versions isn't covered, so if you're interested in that topic, there are other Lync 2013 books that cover this.

Overall, certainly near the top of the reading list as for as Lync references go, but make sure you read beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Started with Microsoft Lync Server 2013, 29 July 2013

The title itself explains what the book is about and how its targetted. I am not going to compare the book against another but I will say its like a follow on from Matt Landis "Microsoft Lync Server 2013 Step by Step for Anyone" with more in depth information and very good reference to articles and technet blog posts from well know Lync Experts out in the field.

So what do the book consist of? The book has 7 Chapters covering the following topics.

Installing a Lync 2013 Enterprise Pool
Understanding Front End Pairing
Deploying Lync Mobility and External User Access
Introducing the Lync Mediation Server
Getting Started with Enterprise Voice
Deploying Persistent Chat Server
Choosing Lync 2013 Clients
In total there is 96 pages of content to read and having read the book myself. It is very good if you havent looked Microsoft Lync 2010 or Microsoft Lync 2013 before. This book will give you a lot of solid grounding which you then can build up on and develop your skill set further. Some times we can all over look things and I will admit when I was reading one of the chapters it made me click about an issue I have been recently experiencing, which has now helped to resolve the issue at a customer site.

I would also like to mention Fabrizo also has a youtube channel that has been dubbed in English on the following link;

[...]

Also he can be followed on twitter: @fabriziovlp

This book can be purchase from the normal locations like Amazon and direct from Packt Publishing.

I would to thank Fabrizo for his continued contrubitions to the Lync Community and hope this publication gets the credit it deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 8 Sep 2014
This is a helpful reference having worked with the product and its predecessors for a long time. It goes through great depth and easy to comprehend.