1,242 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Phasers to Stun
Published 14 months ago by tallpete33

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, Special features Stupidity
Love the film so that's why it's gets a three stars but how the special features have been released is a joke.
On the disk you get 35mins of extras all in HD
Creating the Red Planet
Attack on Starfleet
The Klingon Home World
The Enemy of My Enemy
Ship to Ship
Brawl by the Bay
.................
Sainsburys will have an exclusive...
Published 11 months ago by Vincent Perkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Phasers to Stun, 17 May 2013
tallpete33 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I'm far from a hard-core Trekkie and only went to see this on a whim one rainy Tuesday. Glad I did though to be honest as this was one fabulous piece of cinema that had it all - an engaging story, fantastic CGI and a planet load of humour for good measure. The casting of Cumberbatch as the villain of the piece was inspired and he owned the screen every time he appeared (which was quite often). Who would have thought Sherlock Holmes could kick so much interplanetary ass?

Whilst I quite enjoyed the 2009 version, this one built on it in spades with some great (perhaps a little too much) Kirk/Spock "logical" banter and amazing set pieces (this is one film where its worth the extra two quid for 3D) such as a starship crashing into a futuristic London where St Pauls is dwarfed by the impressive monoliths around it. For viewers like me "of a certain age" to whom Star Trek means Kirk, Spock, Bones, and the foxy Uhura etc (none of that Next Generation rubbish) this was a roller coaster ride that was rarely dull but did not take itself to seriously either. The energetic Scottie and cantankerous Bones were also fantastic though Mr Chekov needs work IMO. The balance between action, humour and a fairly dark plot was perfect and made this an excellent and enjoyable film, definitely the best I've seen this year so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, Special features Stupidity, 1 Sep 2013
The Sound of Music and FX
Aliens Encountered
( [...] )
................
iTunes gets the audio commentary
Plus this version is the full IMAX scenes (ie no black bars in certain shots)
(which if you have the blu ray you can actually claim for free with the digital copy code, just claim it on itunes)
............
This is all a bad joke. But then there more if you want the special case like a metal one or one that comes with a ship then you can only get that from Play.com and even at 50 it still dosent come with the special features. So annoying as a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 30 Dec 2013
Wonderful sequel to a wonderful fim. Great to see Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto back, especially with Benedict Cumberbatch as well. Terrific actors at their best.
Solid plot with plenty of action and the odd laugh thrown in as well. Absolutely loved it!
Very fast delivery, fair price, would recommend to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent space opera, but with a plot full of Hollywood holes, 17 Sep 2013
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have the "3D" Blu-ray version, and I'll not comment on the film other than to say that it is pretty much as one might expect from the Amazon blurb and the surrounding hype; superb graphics and effects on both the "2D" and the "3D" versions, but lumbered with a plot shot through with the usual clichéd Hollywood holes.

The prime characters are surprisingly good replicas of the original Kirk, Spock, Scotty and Bones translated to JJ Abrams' alternative Star Trek universe, and given that major change I suspended any critical mental acuity, carefully forgot forty years of previous Star Trek memories, and simply enjoyed the film.

However, as expected, the "3D" disc refuses to co-operate with my Samsung BD-F5100 Blu-ray player and "3D" Smart TV, despite several other older "3D" films I have being quite happy to play their discs and leave the TV to do the work of putting it into "3D". Star Trek "3D" just sits in a loop showing an error message. I borrowed a friend's one year older BD-E6100 and this played the "3D" disc just fine, so it was not a problem with the disc, merely the software on the disc being overly fussy about how it should be played back. (See the Addendum below for more on the "3D".)

Fortunately the second ("2D") disc in the Blu-ray set plays perfectly well as normal HD with the full surround sound, and all the listed extras for this specific edition from Az are available. (Why offer different extras on different editions from different vendors? Other reviews have been very helpful in giving us the lists of other extras on other editions.)

Extras on the Blu-ray discs sold by Az in Sept 2013. (35mins).
. Creating the Red Planet
. Attack on Starfleet
. The Klingon Home World
. The Enemy of My Enemy
. Ship to Ship
. Brawl by the Bay

I've not bothered even thinking about the Digital Copy - what is the point when there is a high quality hard-copy in your hand?

Why only 3 stars? Well, it is not an outstanding film, not something one will revisit time after time in years to come, just a thoroughly enjoyable romp for the teenager hidden in all of us, but alas also a film all too easily forgotten. And I was disappointed that the "3D" is so fussy about which machines it plays on.

I think the first JJ Abrams Star Trek is significantly better plot-wise and in generosity with the extras, and about the same with the CGI, a solid 4*.

Addendum. 29th December 2013. "3D" revisited.

Santa gave me a Samsung BD-F5500 to use instead of the BD-F5100, and the "3D" on this Star Trek disc was superb when we watched it again yesterday, better than it had been on the previous "3D" player I borrowed. Played out at 1080p 24fps, the motion was smooth with no watery blurring (unlike the Hobbit which was so bad we eventually watched in only 2D).
The only negative comments from the other viewers were about the occasional foreground "reflections" as if off the inside of a window or the dirt on the surface of the lens. I think this was a useful optical trick to ensure our eyes were not strained by excessive changes of focus; certainly none of us had headaches at the end of this film (unlike with some others).

5.0 out of 5 stars STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS DVD, 22 Jun 2014
I thought that the first film was good until I watched this. This is a far better film than the first reboot. The set pieces are stunning with all of the main characters having a great time and looking/sounding/acting exactly like the original cast/crew.
The villain Khan (played by Benedict Cumberbatch) is very good, although not a fan of his, he played the role very well.
A couple of emotional scenes that captured the mood/spirit of the original series so well. The latter of these between Spock and Kirk is wonderfully played and very moving, albeit a carbon copy of Wrath of Khan in reverse, it is definitely the standout scene of a terrific movie.
I look forward to the next instalment, more of the same please, Mr Abrams.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok , I guess, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray)
OK film was alright etc , but I really miss the original cast.
May as well give up and finish the series , and move on to pastures new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic follow-on to the new Star Trek saga, 6 July 2014
Fantastic follow-on to the new Star Trek saga. Beautifully and lovingly created with further character development, brilliant CGI and music supporting an incredible and well selected cast who make this twist on the original second Star Trek film (which Trekkies will recognise elements of) a true gem.

A gripping twisting and well developed plot keeps you in your seat throughout and brings back the characters we love while also giving further glimpses into who they are. Particularly loved the development of Kirk and Spock's bromance relationship with fantastic banter and humour throughout.

Well worth a watch (or three).

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just one for the hardcore fans..., 23 Dec 2013
Patrick Byrne "patvegas1" (Essex) - See all my reviews
Not being a trekkie, although I do admit to watching Star Trek when I was a teenager, JJ Abrams versions of the long running franchise are very refreshing. An element of comedy, action and drama keeps these films going at a pleasing pace and they never feel too long.

Into Darkness is the second film and stands up alongside the first. The visuals are pleasing to the eye and CGI is faultless as you'd expect from a blockbuster these days.

The relationship between Spock, Kirk and Uhura develops further in this film, but the one standout element for me is Benedict Cumberbatch's version of Khan. Extremely menacing and a quiet psychosis along with a general badassness elevate his character above the others. Then again, the bad guys in all great films always standout!

For me these recent Star Trek releases standup as their own films. You don't need to be a hardcore fan to enjoy them, just maybe a little familiar with the main characters. Not really knowing much about the original Khan personally didn't spoil the film for me.

At least its better than Prometheus ay?!?

1.0 out of 5 stars What in the heck went wrong when they made this, 4 May 2014
So, I'll start by saying I love the film.

What's wrong is the BluRay. I've had VCRs with more additional content in the past and the audio is naff, it is the first ever bluray where I have had to fiddle with the AV sync as it's a few ms off.

If I wasn't concerned it would be a pain to send it back I would be sending it back.

In the future I think I'm gonna have to research the Bluray itself before buying let alone whether the film is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Trek Into Darkness. (DVD), 29 Dec 2013
I like all things "Star Trek" and enjoyed this film at the cinema upon its release. Just could not wait to get the DVD and add to my collection. A very good film indeed, if you, like, me, am a fan of the Star Trek genre.