4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mp3 player with a few drawbacks

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by the 'cheaper' casing
Published 13 months ago by Bev Mattocks

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mp3 player with a few drawbacks, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Sony NWZE384 8GB Walkman Video MP3 Player - Red (Electronics)
Firstly I need to say that this little MP3 player is supplied with the worst earphones I have ever heard. After you bin them you will need to get a decent pair. So my review is based on the Sony NWZ E384 Walkman with the Sony MDR-ED12LP earphones. They cost me about £10.00 and they have great clarity but are warm and full. Because ears are so different in shape and fit, one man's earphone is another man's poison.
So, musically, this little MP3 player is worth 5 stars. Sony have managed to develop a really luscious sound with clarity and musicality. There is a custom equaliser for those who wish to tailor the sound, and it works well. There are also some preset equaliser settings which are actually very different but very musical and useful.
The software for me is next to useless, but Windows 7 recognises the player as a hard drive so it is easy to drag and drop files in all directions. Sadly I cannot get any playlists from the software or from Windows Media Player so I just use Folder or Artist settings in the player. I can fill a folder full of the tracks I want, if I want to have a playlist. Although this little media player also plays videos and displays pictures, the screen is small and, for me, not worth using. The FM radio is very good indeed. The quoted play time is up to thirty hours but I think that is for very low volume and in the real world I get about 20 hours playtime. With good earphones and the right settings the little Sony can go way louder than needed. There is no distortion at all. Although the player is plastic it is solid and feels like it will last and last.
All in all musically I would give this little player 5 out of 5, and for me that is all I need. The earphones are worth 0 out of 5. If you want it to watch Videos or look at your photos then it's worth about 2 or 3 out of 5. With 8 gigabytes it does not have enough storage space for videos or a large collection of music. I love it though and use it all the time. With 16gb and decent earphones it would easily be 5 out of 5. The player can reproduce excellent, rich, full and defined bass but that will be very earphone dependent. Depending on how earphones rest in the ear can result in bass or no bass. The Sony MDR-ED12LP have amazing bass if your ears can tolerate them. If you get this player then really get some good earphones. Purely on music the Sony NWZE384 8GB Walkman is a good buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by the 'cheaper' casing, 24 Jan. 2014
My faithful old red Sony Walkman MP3 packed up last week and so I treated myself to a new one. I'd been happy with the old one and it was familiar, so it made sense to go for the same product - except this is a newer model, complete with video. Compared to the old product, the casing is much 'cheaper' in look and feel, kind of plastic and shiny. It doesn't have the quality 'brushed metal' feel of the old model and doesn't feel as robust. I also felt that the red and black design of the old model resulted in a better shape at the top - i.e. not rounded. Such a shame. Apart from that it's very similar to the old one. HOWEVER BE WARNED... the USB connection lead connection IS NOT THE SAME SIZE as the old version, so be careful if purchasing a mains charger because some chargers state they fit all NWZ-E series, but they don't fit this new one! Why Sony felt the need to change the connection size I have no idea - I already had a mains charger for my old Walkman, but it doesn't fit the new model even though, essentially, it is the same product, just updated. So I purchased a new (non Sony brand) mains charger only to find it was the same as the old one i.e. didn't fit the new model. Grrrrrrr

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish not worth a quarter of the price., 22 April 2014
Got this mp3 player to replace my old Sony 8GB E474, which had a broken earphone jack. I ordered this because it is the latest model 8G sony mp3 player and looked almost identical to my old mp3 player but that is where the comparisons stop. This mp3 player is inferior in every way to the old E474 8GB.
1. The outer casing is made of cheap plastic not like the sleek metal finish of the previous model
2. The screen is much smaller
3. The screen and picture quality is abysmal. It's like a old nokia phone from ten years ago. I can literally see the pixels. The old Sony screen display was much prettier and sleeker but this is absolutely rubbish.
4. Video quality is very poor and significantly inferior
5. Audio output is lower but the quality remains the same
6. Some features are missing like return to song playback and sound recorder (which I rarely used but still handy from time to time)
7. You can't search for song/album/artist by alphabetical letter anymore rather by A-M or N-Z which takes much longer and is much more annoying.
8. The earphones are really terrible too

I am neither a techie nor a whiner, I just want quality when I have shelled out a large sum of money. Sony have cut corners in every single aspect of this mp3 player and they've gotten away with it. This product is simply not good enough for the money I spent on it. I can't understand how this is supposed to be the latest 8GB model when clearly it is a step down from their last model. My old Sony E474 wipes the floor with this cheap plastic tat. What a disappointment, see you later Sony.

2.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps one to miss..., 13 Feb. 2014
Like the previous reviewer, this is my second walkman... Overall, it has been a little dissappointing. Hard to believe that in 2014 Sony can't make a pair of headphones that stay in people's ears! Was going to mention this but everyone I have spoken to has said the same thing. Also, the quick start guide is not an accurate reflection of how the walkman works, particularly when it comes to turning it off. Sound is good (if you can get the headphones to stay in your ears). Unlike Amazon, Sony's customer service seems to be pretty poor. Consumer electronics without the consumer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 21 Feb. 2014
Good clear screen and easy to use and set up. Seems to hold lots of music. Suits the older generation well not too complicated.

4.0 out of 5 stars sony walkman, 3 April 2014
very pleased with this player, easy to use, good instructions, no problems at all to set up, would certainly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour, save up more pennies and buy a better MP3 player., 8 Feb. 2015
Do yourself a favour, save up more pennies and buy a better MP3 player. When these standard Walkman players first went on sale years ago they had a metal casing combined with good features, but they have declined in quality to the point where the bad points outnumber the good. In this revision even the basic side control buttons for volume control and 'hold' have vanished, and the previously clear LCD screen has been changed to one with very low quality. It really is like someone has tried has set out to reduce manufacturing costs by cutting corners. I thought Sony had standards, but this is a shocking example of lowering them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly to operate, 8 Feb. 2015
I bought this as a replacement for my old NWZ-A818, as after many years the battery is not holding its charge. The NWZ-E384 is very much the same but with the addition of an FM radio. The "hold" function has been merged into the "option" button and I do find it very difficult to switch the device on without activating the "hold". Also the use of very flat buttons makes it very difficult to operate the device without looking at it. Still the good features [already covered by other reviewers] outweigh the above niggles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrived quickly Not as well made as the older ones ..., 16 Oct. 2014
Arrived quickly
Not as well made as the older ones.
Had a problem finding out how to alter the volume
Found it out in the end

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 30 Nov. 2014
Aramchek (Utopia Caravan Park) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 13 year old daughter - she loves it - and it is easy to use. It looks very good and the screen is good, too. I read lots of reviews before buying this model - and some of the reviews here are rather harsh -- I am glad I ignored those less than favourable reviews and bought it. This is a fine Sony product. I might even buy one for myself.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›