4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD
Published 11 months ago by Castaway

1.0 out of 5 stars Sony Walk-backwards!
Published 14 months ago by D. Meakin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Sony Walk-backwards!, 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Sony NWZE384 8GB Walkman Video MP3 Player - Black (Electronics)
When I first tried this model I was shocked as to how poor quality it is compared to the previous E474 model. Things missing from this (so-called updated) model that was present on the E474: microphone function, games function, podcasts, Sensme channels and music unlimited function. Coupled with these are other missing functions - one of the most important I used on the E474 was the setting where I could set how long the album cover appeared on screen before going off which is also missing so now the album cover appears on screen for about twenty seconds before the screen goes blank and there's nothing I can do about it! Other functions are also missing from this poor quality 'update'.

Now onto the controls and screen.
The E474 had a hold button and volume controls on the side of the player. Both of these have now been amalgamated onto the face buttons which makes the player more fiddly to operate. On the E474 I could turn off the player from any function I was currently using or any screen I currently had displayed but on the E384 I am now forced to play a song, pause it and then hold down the option button to turn off the device. If I try to do this on any screen of my choosing on the E384 it will just activate the 'hold' function! The screen graphics also look terribly outdated compared to its predecessor. While the E474 had a crystal clear screen the E384 has a 1980's style resolution and isn't anywhere near as clear.

Overview.
Don't buy this MP3 player if an E474 is available to buy. In fact, don't buy this MP3 player if other Sony Walkman MP3 players are available to buy. This is the worst I've ever seen. If you have a choice between the E474 and the E384 I suggest you buy the former. It's cheaper, better looking, has more functions and better controls.

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD, 6 April 2014
As with other reviewers, I was having difficulty turning it off, didn't dare use it on a plane journey in case I couldn't turn the power off during take off or landing! However just sussed out by experimenting that if you press the central button with the '' or arrow sign that you can pause it at any time by pressing this button THEN pressing the hold button to turn the power off. This information is not explained adequately in any of the instructions. Good apparatus, easy to download music etc and store albums etc, plenty of memory for storage. it is lightweight and easy to carry, I have made a padded fabric pouch for storage when not in use.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, 11 Oct. 2013
This series 3 mp3 player is very disappointing. Definitely not the quality it is used to. It is E series 3 and far below the quality of E series 4. Choices are far less on this player. Ease of use is really bad. Having used Sony players for the last 4 years, it seems to me to be a previous batch from a few years ago before they upgraded.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing!!, 7 Nov. 2013
I have just taken my Sony NWZ E474 back as it developed a fault, this was replaced with what was termed an updated model, namely the NWZ E384. However, how this can be an updated model is beyond me, the earphones must retail at £2.99 and the model itself is like something from the 1980's!!! Seriously the previous MP3 was slim, stylish, had decent headphones and had colour "graphics" that were clear and vibrant. These look like a Pac-Man game, they really are bad. I'm grateful that Argos replaced this item with no fuss, however Sony should be ashamed of themselves, it looks and sounds like a very old, outdated model that will probably end up in the bedside drawer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great player, 24 Nov. 2014
H. Jackson (Skipton, North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Replaces an Apple Nano which died of slight moisture presence despite silicone cover at 13 months old, now reduced to a 8 gb flash device, the Sony has a much better output level for playing through stereo amp or decent headphones, very straight forward to use/sync with Windows media player, sound quality is brilliant, I use the Jazz setting, so far after 7 months so good, appears to do everything the Nano did with the bonus of a radio and frees up substantial amount on my computer hard drive having deleted I Tunes and it's shadow copies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and sound but buy earphones separately, 27 Jan. 2014
Very pleased with the quality and prompt delivery. However the earphones that come with this mp3 player are not of very good quality and I recommend you buy good earphones separately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 16 Jan. 2014
It is easy to use, load music and videos using media player. Item arrived really quickly. The interface now is standard USb which is easier to use ans charge

1.0 out of 5 stars I love Sony stuff but really..., 15 Nov. 2013
Mrs. S. F. Bratley "sbratley" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This looks cheap and nasty. I sent it back and ordered the previous model instead. I cannot comment on sound quality as I didn't even listen to it, but its plasticky and doesn't feel nice to hold. The NWZ-E474 previous model is much nice (and cheaper).

5.0 out of 5 stars good storage for mp3's and some quite advanced output settings, 15 Nov. 2014
this is a lovley bit of kit. sensible price. good storage for mp3's and some quite advanced output settings. Just link to the computer, drag n drop ur music and you are good to go.

Switching it on and off is a bit wierd, you need to hold one key then another key, and i ask sony, why not just use a simple on off switch?

I really do like this, and its battery life is ok as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, Simplicity and Portability, 21 Nov. 2014
I plugged this WALKMAN in to my computer and it automatically installed a driver, it was then just a matter of dragging and dropping music files to get the music on my WALKMAN, it was really that simple.

The sound quality is superb on this Walkman, the bass is really punchy and it doesn't distort the mids or the treble moreover there are equalising options, clear stereo and a dynamic normaliser.The product is a perfect size for your pocket and feels rugged enough to withstand a few drops. The screen displays album artwork no problem and the interface is really easy to use. There is an option to view video, photos and listen to the radio (this requires headphones to use as an aerial).

I've never quite understood the hype with memory space I think 8gb is plentiful considering that you can sync to your hearts content and if you listen to 50+ albums in one sitting, you will run out of charge before you get to the end so you'll have to charge it up anyway using the computer or another USB device.

What you are getting for your money is a dedicated music player that will serve you for years to come if looked after properly, SONY is a very reputable company and is renowned for build quality. If you prefer iPods there's nothing stopping you getting one, it's just that they are tailored for use with ITunes and ITunes offer only a AAC format which is quite restrictive as a lot of players to not support that file type. I've also had many iPods die on me so I've generally had a bad experience with them, they are expensive as well.

I did use my phone as an MP3 player but phones are getting bigger and bigger for some reason, the battery is also poor and background tasks slow the operating system down.

Music is now not only a home experience spinning Vinyl and CDs, it's also about convenience and if I can have 50 albums with me in my pocket then that is cool man... Online music stores are now DRM free plus music purchases made on Amazon, iTunes and Google Play are all stored in the cloud as well as your HDD and Flash Drives etc. However some people like me like having a tangible product like the CD which has physical album artwork, band photos, artist's thanks, lyric sheets. CDs also have a slightly higher audio quality output, you can also display them on your shelf and say you 'own' it. CDs are so versatile and you can rip them to a variety of formats.

5* for this SONY WALKMAN!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›