Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Colour Name: blackChange

on 2 July 2014
Firstly I need to say that this little MP3 player is supplied with the worst earphones I have ever heard. After you bin them you will need to get a decent pair. So my review is based on the Sony NWZ E384 Walkman with the Sony MDR-ED12LP earphones. They cost me about £10.00 and they have great clarity but are warm and full. Because ears are so different in shape and fit, one man's earphone is another man's poison.
So, musically, this little MP3 player is worth 5 stars. Sony have managed to develop a really luscious sound with clarity and musicality. There is a custom equaliser for those who wish to tailor the sound, and it works well. There are also some preset equaliser settings which are actually very different but very musical and useful.
The software for me is next to useless, but Windows 7 recognises the player as a hard drive so it is easy to drag and drop files in all directions. Sadly I cannot get any playlists from the software or from Windows Media Player so I just use Folder or Artist settings in the player. I can fill a folder full of the tracks I want, if I want to have a playlist. Although this little media player also plays videos and displays pictures, the screen is small and, for me, not worth using. The FM radio is very good indeed. The quoted play time is up to thirty hours but I think that is for very low volume and in the real world I get about 20 hours playtime. With good earphones and the right settings the little Sony can go way louder than needed. There is no distortion at all. Although the player is plastic it is solid and feels like it will last and last.
All in all musically I would give this little player 5 out of 5, and for me that is all I need. The earphones are worth 0 out of 5. If you want it to watch Videos or look at your photos then it's worth about 2 or 3 out of 5. With 8 gigabytes it does not have enough storage space for videos or a large collection of music. I love it though and use it all the time. With 16gb and decent earphones it would easily be 5 out of 5. The player can reproduce excellent, rich, full and defined bass but that will be very earphone dependent. Depending on how earphones rest in the ear can result in bass or no bass. The Sony MDR-ED12LP have amazing bass if your ears can tolerate them. If you get this player then really get some good earphones. Purely on music the Sony NWZE384 8GB Walkman is a good buy.
on 27 June 2014
A couple of years ago I bought one of these MP3 players for my wife and decided to treat myself with a similar on. Her's had a button on the side to control volume - but (allegedly) to meet with EU specs this has been removed on the current model. I could find no reference to how to adjust the volume in the brief instructions included - nor in the fuller download version. Purely by trial and error I discovered one had to press the ring shaped control surrounding the central play/pause button 'up' or 'down' to increase or decrease the sound level.
Otherwise - very pleased with my purchase.
on 29 December 2013
When I first tried this model I was shocked as to how poor quality it is compared to the previous E474 model. Things missing from this (so-called updated) model that was present on the E474: microphone function, games function, podcasts, Sensme channels and music unlimited function. Coupled with these are other missing functions - one of the most important I used on the E474 was the setting where I could set how long the album cover appeared on screen before going off which is also missing so now the album cover appears on screen for about twenty seconds before the screen goes blank and there's nothing I can do about it! Other functions are also missing from this poor quality 'update'.

Now onto the controls and screen.
The E474 had a hold button and volume controls on the side of the player. Both of these have now been amalgamated onto the face buttons which makes the player more fiddly to operate. On the E474 I could turn off the player from any function I was currently using or any screen I currently had displayed but on the E384 I am now forced to play a song, pause it and then hold down the option button to turn off the device. If I try to do this on any screen of my choosing on the E384 it will just activate the 'hold' function! The screen graphics also look terribly outdated compared to its predecessor. While the E474 had a crystal clear screen the E384 has a 1980's style resolution and isn't anywhere near as clear.

Don't buy this MP3 player if an E474 is available to buy. In fact, don't buy this MP3 player if other Sony Walkman MP3 players are available to buy. This is the worst I've ever seen. If you have a choice between the E474 and the E384 I suggest you buy the former. It's cheaper, better looking, has more functions and better controls.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2014
Very pleased with the quality and prompt delivery. However the earphones that come with this mp3 player are not of very good quality and I recommend you buy good earphones separately.
on 24 January 2014
My faithful old red Sony Walkman MP3 packed up last week and so I treated myself to a new one. I'd been happy with the old one and it was familiar, so it made sense to go for the same product - except this is a newer model, complete with video. Compared to the old product, the casing is much 'cheaper' in look and feel, kind of plastic and shiny. It doesn't have the quality 'brushed metal' feel of the old model and doesn't feel as robust. I also felt that the red and black design of the old model resulted in a better shape at the top - i.e. not rounded. Such a shame. Apart from that it's very similar to the old one. HOWEVER BE WARNED... the USB connection lead connection IS NOT THE SAME SIZE as the old version, so be careful if purchasing a mains charger because some chargers state they fit all NWZ-E series, but they don't fit this new one! Why Sony felt the need to change the connection size I have no idea - I already had a mains charger for my old Walkman, but it doesn't fit the new model even though, essentially, it is the same product, just updated. So I purchased a new (non Sony brand) mains charger only to find it was the same as the old one i.e. didn't fit the new model. Grrrrrrr
on 11 October 2013
This series 3 mp3 player is very disappointing. Definitely not the quality it is used to. It is E series 3 and far below the quality of E series 4. Choices are far less on this player. Ease of use is really bad. Having used Sony players for the last 4 years, it seems to me to be a previous batch from a few years ago before they upgraded.
on 24 November 2014
Replaces an Apple Nano which died of slight moisture presence despite silicone cover at 13 months old, now reduced to a 8 gb flash device, the Sony has a much better output level for playing through stereo amp or decent headphones, very straight forward to use/sync with Windows media player, sound quality is brilliant, I use the Jazz setting, so far after 7 months so good, appears to do everything the Nano did with the bonus of a radio and frees up substantial amount on my computer hard drive having deleted I Tunes and it's shadow copies.
on 22 April 2014
Got this mp3 player to replace my old Sony 8GB E474, which had a broken earphone jack. I ordered this because it is the latest model 8G sony mp3 player and looked almost identical to my old mp3 player but that is where the comparisons stop. This mp3 player is inferior in every way to the old E474 8GB.
1. The outer casing is made of cheap plastic not like the sleek metal finish of the previous model
2. The screen is much smaller
3. The screen and picture quality is abysmal. It's like a old nokia phone from ten years ago. I can literally see the pixels. The old Sony screen display was much prettier and sleeker but this is absolutely rubbish.
4. Video quality is very poor and significantly inferior
5. Audio output is lower but the quality remains the same
6. Some features are missing like return to song playback and sound recorder (which I rarely used but still handy from time to time)
7. You can't search for song/album/artist by alphabetical letter anymore rather by A-M or N-Z which takes much longer and is much more annoying.
8. The earphones are really terrible too

I am neither a techie nor a whiner, I just want quality when I have shelled out a large sum of money. Sony have cut corners in every single aspect of this mp3 player and they've gotten away with it. This product is simply not good enough for the money I spent on it. I can't understand how this is supposed to be the latest 8GB model when clearly it is a step down from their last model. My old Sony E474 wipes the floor with this cheap plastic tat. What a disappointment, see you later Sony.
on 21 April 2015
I bought this on the high street as I didn't want to wait and it was the same price anyways. Here are my thoughts.

Packaging - Typical Sony packaging, wrap the thing up so tightly you have a real sense of achievement when you actually get into it.. Lots of rips, teeth and tears but eventually I got there (Box wasn't so lucky)

Once open you really start to see what other viewers were complaining about. I personally couldn't believe that Sony would make something that felt plasticy but sadly I was wrong. It's like when you go into the phone shop and look at dummy phones that while are secured with a screw all the way through it, it feels like it will fall apart if you look at it wrong. It really does feel like a toy. The front is well designed with a lovely gloss finish but the back is a matte, almost transparent (not intended im afraid) cheap finish that wouldn't look out of place in an old B reg escort. It should have a metal back and for £50 I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Screen - Again it's not until you see the screen you get what people are saying. Just think of the first ever phone that had a colour screen and you have it... Totes reminds me of the SonyEricsson T68i... While at the time I was rocking that like some G man but now.... Not so much!. It's quite pixely. I know Madonna is 56 but she don't look that bad!

Sound - The headphones you get with them are also shocking! I had a pair of these in the 90's, same design but I don't remember them being this bad in my CD walkman!. They are tinny and void of any bass. I quickly changed them for my Z3 headphones. Still not bawled over with the quality but it 'does'. The reproduction is OK but there's just no oomph to them. I would have been dissapointed if I paid a tenner for this if it wasn't Sony.You can play around with the equalizer to get different sound but it's just like comparing different types of rubbish!.

I am sure that I would give the thing a bit more of a break if 1. It didn't set me back £50 and 2. it wasn't Sony! Sony has been in my life in some capacity throughout my life and until now I have never been let down. I am shocked and down right ANNOYED that Sony feel this is an acceptable product to slap their logo on!

I recently got a bit on my high horse about Apple products hence why I got the Z3 but that has been nothing but trouble with it having to be repaired 3 times by Sony. It's upsetting, I feel like I got back together with an ex from school and they have changed for the worse or met Madonna herself and for her to be a granny who likes to knit! LET DOWN!

I am going back to the shop to spend a few more of my hard earned doshage to see if a new set of headphones will make matters sweeter... If not it's going back and I will just buy a shuffle or something :/.

Transferring to the device actually couldn't be easier. As I have the Sony Z3 I was able to use software I got with my phone which was an unexpected touch. Fast transfer rates too! seems to be a bit quicker than my phone in all fairness. Managed to copy my 2GB library in about 7 mins... Not too shabby!

Poor show Sony! - Not that they are listening but I really do feel like my childhood has been ripped away!
on 7 November 2013
I have just taken my Sony NWZ E474 back as it developed a fault, this was replaced with what was termed an updated model, namely the NWZ E384. However, how this can be an updated model is beyond me, the earphones must retail at £2.99 and the model itself is like something from the 1980's!!! Seriously the previous MP3 was slim, stylish, had decent headphones and had colour "graphics" that were clear and vibrant. These look like a Pac-Man game, they really are bad. I'm grateful that Argos replaced this item with no fuss, however Sony should be ashamed of themselves, it looks and sounds like a very old, outdated model that will probably end up in the bedside drawer.