5.0 out of 5 stars Heroic return of British Death Metallers
Published 2 months ago by Ruinedbyidiots76

3.0 out of 5 stars OK album or amazing album depending on your Carcass Taste
If your prefer Necroticism and the albums before to Heartwork this album aint really for you, but if your a heartwork fan you will love this album its well it put together but unfortunately not my favourite carcass era im a 1991,backwards fan
Published 2 months ago by Craig Ross

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Heroic return of British Death Metallers, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track (Audio CD)
The year was 1993 and I was 17 when I first discovered Carcass. Albeit late in the game they swiftly became my favourite band in the death metal genre which I was immersing myself in. The album was Heartwork and it became the album that all future music purchases would be compared to. A couple of years and one album later Carcass would split up, leaving a massive hole in the UK Death Metal scene. Thankfully a couple of years ago Carcass got back together to play a handful of shows, one thing led to another and they announced the release of their new album Surgical Steel. I can hand on heart state that this album is flawless from beginning to end there is nothing not to like. I've had this CD since the day it was released, and not a week has gone by where I haven't listened to the whole album. Not only that but it's made me rediscover Carcass' earlier albums and even the much maligned Swansong album. If your not familiar with Carcass this album is a brilliant starting point, working backwards through their releases, although I would leave the aforementioned Swansong to the end. Although this album harks back to the sound of Death Metal in the early 90s it sounds contemporary so perfect for new and old fans alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Splendid Return To The Coroner's Office, 17 Nov 2013
B. Turnbull (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track (Audio CD)
Carcass have long been one of my favourite bands, and despite catching them live at Bloodstock a few years ago, I never thought I'd see the day they'd release new material (guitarist Bill Steer said around that time he thought it highly unlikely). So, enter "Surgical Steel", and how does it fare?

Well, after initial expectations wear off, you come to realize that, in essence, this is the next logical step up from "Heartwork". It brushes off pretty much everything from "Swansong" and hits you with a hammer blow full of Bill's crushing riffs, melodious solos, rampant drum battery, and of course, the snarling sneer of bassist Jeff Walker. Opening with the heaviest tune on the album (after the harmony-drenched intro), the band go full speed ahead, ripping your face off with monster tunes boiling with bile and venom. Sure, the production is a little polished, but hey, it's the era of pro-tools; what do you expect?

The material is of an exceptionally high standard, and there is more variation than there was on "Heartwork", with some songs going for the throat, others slowing things down and giving the instruments room to breathe. It's sterile in the best sense possible, and the highlight for me is without a doubt "The Granulating Dark Satanic Mills". It's as awesome as the title suggests, and it boasts the best riff on the album, a total Maiden-on-steroids moment that recalls the brilliance that was "This Mortal Coil".

Fans of the band won't be disappointed, and while it isn't quite as essential as "Heartwork", and it bares no resemblance to the aural pathology report that was "Necroticism", "Surgical Steel" is a fine return to form that all fans of melodic death metal should not miss. Welcome back, guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 28 Mar 2014
D. Hollands (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surgical Steel (MP3 Download)
This has got a bit of everything for all fans to enjoy!.
It seems to get better and better as the CD goes on.
Good stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars back from the dead!, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track (Audio CD)
I loved Carcass in my teens, but I wasn't the biggest fan of their last release before imploding. Surgical Steel is for me not only a massive return to form but one of the best albums I've heard in recent memory. I've been listening to it since release date and have not grown tired of it yet - I listen to it for warming up to runs, getting ready for work, driving, doing the house work... If you want to get a job done quickly and with vigor, have this as your soundtrack. The musicianship etc goes without saying, brilliant album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Carcass is back again!, 18 Jan 2014
I have to say that their return was a welcome one for me. This album is kind of a mix of "Heartwork" and the album preceeding it.
If you liked "Heartwork" you will like this album as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmistakeably Carcass, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track (Audio CD)
This is not "Necroticism", "Reek of Putrefaction" or any other Carcass album rebooted, this is a bonafide, new Carcass album, and I had no idea how much I missed Jeff Walker's distinctly sarcastic snarl on new material until I heard it. It really is excellent, when the guitar intro of "1985" started I couldn't help but know deep down that this was going to be well worth the money and wait since "Swansong". I don't like to give away too much on a review, but suffice to say that there isn't a bad song on here and if you're anything like me, when you have this turned up high as it is meant to be, you'll be grinning like a Master Butcher (listen and you'll get it) whetting his knives and proud to be a metalhead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still meat on the Bones.., 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track (Audio CD)
They said if it didn't sound like how they used to they would scrap this CD
Probably they thought no one could replace Ken Owen( Drummer) & be as good?
Well Dan Wilding is, Walker & Steer are just a formidable partnership & the new Guitarist Ben Ash fits in perfectly.
Still with as brutal lyrics, nothing has been tamed and the Guitars are as Aggressive & Melodic, arguably as good or better than before & this joins Wake up & smell the Carcass as my joint favourite Album.
Certainly not everyone's cup of Tea but over 25,000 hits on U Tube within a Month of this release shows quite a few others have missed them since that brilliant Final Damnation 2008 gig at Leeds.
No matter what Genre of Rock Music you are into it's a must experience to listen to this Brilliant & Unique Band, if only to compare.
Hopefully this isn't their SWANSONG!

5.0 out of 5 stars Carcass have still got it., 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track (Audio CD)
Carcass kick ass - fact. Good cd, nice and thrashy in parts. Played amazing live set with Amon Amarth. Still got it, will never lose it. A must buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intense Stuff., 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track (Audio CD)
first off, ive never been a fan of death metal or any of its sub-genres. But recently I have delved into some pretty heavy stuff. I heard some magazines raving about Carcass, and their new release, so I decided to give it a try.

The intro track really grabbed my attention, it has some cool melodies and guitar harmonies, and vaguely reminded me of an Iron Maiden type track, but then the next track kicked in..

There are some pretty brutal riffs going on throughout this album, but its not too over powering to the point where it becomes unlistenable. The vocals aren't exactly the easiest thing to listen too, but they suit the music quite well, and aren't as intense as a lot of death metal music.

The pace of the album is pretty decent too, some extremely fast tracks, and some slower, but still equally as heavy tracks. Its a pretty awesome album, quite surprised im enjoying it as much as I am!

5.0 out of 5 stars They are back, 16 Nov 2013
This review is from: Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track (Audio CD)
Carcass are back and this album is excellent. I don't write music reviews as I am not that good with words but they deserve the five starts. I can't wait to see them live.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa718e4e0)

Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track
Surgical Steel - Includes Bonus Track by Carcass (Audio CD - 2013)