5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones
The headphones are brilliant. Great sound quality, comfy to wear and were delivered really quickly. They can be used to answer a call when plugged into your phone which is helpful and they're great at blocking out sound. I would definitely recommend these.
Published 16 months ago by Chantelle Wilson

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming
Published 19 months ago by James B. Spink

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, 27 Oct. 2013
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sennheiser HD 335s Universal Over-Ear Wired Headset for Smartphones (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been a big fan of Sennheiser headphones since the late seventies when I purchased my first pair - the HD 420 - which were good then and still work OK now, although they are mainly in retirement these days. I have had half a dozen or more different Sennheiser models since then and all have been at least good - some have been outstanding. So it is with much disappointment that I have to give the HD 335s a two-star review.

Although the HD 335s are light and comfortable and the audio quality is pretty good they are ultimately very disappointing at the price currently being asked. Starting with the build quality which is very plasticy and rather insubstantial, and the packaging which is a bit of a nightmare to actually get the phones out of! The DJ swivel feature on the right hand phone is just a gimmick - it is much easier to just take the headphones off. The volume control could be a useful feature, but it is really just an attenuator - it has no control over the output volume from your device so the maximum you will hear is the volume level set on the device itself. To be of any real use you must set your device's volume level to maximum and then control any decrease from the dial on the phones. It does not work like the traditional Apple inline volume control which is missing from the remote supplied here - which just features a microphone and track controls which work or not depending on your phone model.

The cable attached to the left phone is non-detachable at the headphone end but can be unplugged from the microphone and terminates in a standard 3.5mm jack plug - very strange - a completely detachable cable is more common, and useful, nowadays. The only accessory supplied is an adaptor for certain Sony and Nokia phones - there is no `plane or ¼"" adaptor or carry case or anything else you may expect to be included at this price. The phones don't even fold for carrying which is unusual for phones designed for mobile use!

However, my main criticism of Sennheiser's 335s is the stereo image - or lack of it - these phones sound virtually mono with little, if any, stereo to be heard. If you are looking for a decent set of phones to take travelling you may want to consider the Lindy Cromo NCX-100 which are currently around twenty quid more than these Sennheisers but offer much better sound quality and features. The Sennheiser 335s are overpriced and underwhelming and not up to Sennheiser's usual very high standard.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really sound sense., 25 Nov. 2013
Squeebles (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had hoped to like the Sennheiser HD 335s but their shortcomings make a purchase unattractive.

I know for this price point the plastic used in the construction wouldn't be as high as the HD600 or Momentum headphones, but this looks a little too cheap. I found while the phones do clamp my head well, for isolation purposes, the shape of the band was too flat (not rounded) and so pressed down on top of my head. Listening for any length of time started to become uncomfortable. The embedded volume dial on the ear cup, actually degraded the sound as well as changing volume. I felt it worked best to have the sound level full on the headphones and to change volume on my source kit (iPod video v5.5 & Nexus 4). The swivel cup design, while it works, isn't something that you'd use to talk to people around you. I ran these headphones in for a couple of days with music playing to 'burn' them in. Played loud, the cans sounded okay...

However, sound wise, they don't seem to have a lot in the mid to upper frequencies and also the stereo imaging is poor, the sound is very closed in. I dug out my old JVC HA-RX700 headphones and even they're way more fun than these for half the money (though they have been cheaply modified to improve on the construction - Google "JVC HA-RX Mods").

Personally, for the money, I would go with either the Sennheiser HD439 if you like a bit more "oomph" in your lower frequencies, or the Sennheiser HD449, if you want a flatter response, more clarity in your music. Both of these headphones are (as of 25/11/2013) roughly the same price, both a smidge under £70, and are far better value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, 30 Jan. 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Nov. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've owned many pairs of Sennheisers in the past, from the low end to the higher end, and have rarely been disappointed by their quality and value for money. Generally, a Sennheiser is a safe bet. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with the HD335s, which seem to be a somewhat rushed attempt to cash in on the growing market for headphones with smartphone call integration.

Good:
=====
The headset function works as advertised with my phone. I've answered a few calls while wearing them and the mic has worked in both quiet residential streets and busier shopping areas.

Mediocre:
=========
Almost everything else, sadly. I did some digging and the HD335 seems to be a retooled version of the significantly cheaper HD205. The sound quality lacks the detail and punch I'd expect at this price range. Strangely, despite having fairly large ear cups, the sound of the 335s is a bit muffled and claustrophobic. There isn't any sense of space, which is bad news considering there are many in-ear 'phones that can provide better stereo separation and sound stage compared to this.

Bad:
====
The construction of the headphones is lacklustre, too, again disappointing when you consider the price. Shiny, chintzy plastic in tones of black and chrome. The design contrives to be unremarkable yet irritating at the same time. The headband and earcups are cushioned with a nice foam, but the shape of the cups and the lack of arc in the band means that it isn't comfortable to wear for long periods - an absolute dealbreaker for me unless the sound is magnificent. As it is, I think only a Lego person could wear these without discomfort. The plastic lining of the closed cups gets sticky far too quickly and, again, feels a bit cheap.

Overall:
========
I can't recommend these headphones in good faith. There are other competitors with better sound (RHA 950i, in particular)that still have smartphone functions.

2.0 out of 5 stars They are humongous, uncomfortable, over-priced = crap, 27 Oct. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
They might be excellent if you are a giant.

They do work really well with my iPhone. I can press a button on the cable to answer calls.

But they're cumbersome, and resemble over-sized ear muffs. They look stupid.

Most importantly, the sound isn't great.

I dislike these.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good fit, but not without issues, 22 Nov. 2013
Maria "maria2222" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The headphones fit pretty snugly and unlike another set from another manufacturer that I recently reviewed, it doesn't bounce around on the head when I walk and also stays in place when I run or jump, BUT it's not entirely comfortable to wear because it still sits on the ears rather than over the ears (like e.g. the Sennheiser HD 558), so it becomes uncomfortable after a while.

It is extremely light and looks good. It does feel a bit cheap to hold though. I'm not sure if it is the light weight that makes it feel less "substantial" or if it is the materials used, but there is something not quite right for me.

The sound is OK. Again not quite the quality of the HD558, but not bad for reasonably priced headphones. You can adjust the volume on the headphones (provided you turn up the volume on the device to the max), which, I suppose, is nice, but I'm not sure whether it is just as easy to adjust it on the device itself.

If you are using the headphones with your phone, you can use the in-line remote control to make/take/end calls which I think is pretty convenient. The flip of the right ear cup to "talk to people around you" doesn't really make much difference - why not just take them off or place them askew? It's less fidgety than having to flip it open.

My main annoyance with these headphones is the cable which is fine for when you are on the move (which, admittedly these headphones seem to be built for), but not great for use with TVs, computers etc. where you might need some extra length, and there is no extension cable provided with the product so you'd either have to buy one yourself (if available) or have a second pair of headphones for other use. not ideal

So overall an ok product, but I'm not impressed considering how good Sennheiser's products usually are.

Freedom of movement - a single-sided cable reduces tangling
Adaptor - required for compatibility with selected Nokia and Sony Smartphones

3.0 out of 5 stars comfortable but nothing else going for it, 19 Nov. 2013
L. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought the headphones were going to be of great quality especially with how great it looked in the box. the sound quality wasnt amazing for me to say its worth this high price, although its light weights and cushions, made it ideal to replace my headphones i was using near my pc base unit.

3.0 out of 5 stars GOOD INTENTIONS - BUT DISTINCTLY AVERAGE, 18 Nov. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having trialled a few different Sennheiser headphones over the last 12 months, it's clear that the brand doesn't always deliver the high expectation most people have, and unfortunately these headphones largely disappoint - especially when considering value for money.

The phones are clearly aimed at the device listener compared to audiophiles who want to plug into their amp; the inline control and volume control are touches designed to simplify track control and adjusting volume and while the track selector works fine on my iPhone and iPod, the volume control on the headphone, only adjust the vol on the phones themselves and not on the device - so a hint is to turn the device to max and then simply adjust locally on the set. Although, this seems a little pointless as most listening experiences will be with the device within hand reach.

When it comes to the sound - quite a punchy bass and across the range I thought the sound was perfectly acceptable.

Physically the look and feel pretty big, all encompassing your ear and would be perfect for footballers walking off their coaches if you see what I mean. Outside noise is largely blocked out except between tracks and lead is adequate length and not too long for tangling. I didn't find the phones particularly uncomfortable as some other reviews found, however I would agree the ear cup lift for DJ purposes isn't that comfortable for sustained periods, but ideal when someone is trying to get your attention!

The look is great, feel is adequate, but I refer back to value for money again - questionable.

Hope this helps :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice sensitive detailed sound expansive sound field good bass, 10 Nov. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found the headphones comfortable to wear and not too heavy and can be worn for one plus without fatigue. Designed for smartphones etc, i found the headphones very suitable. The sound provided by these headphones is a nicely sensitive detailed sound with expansive wide sound field with good bass. These are not your up front bright up close sound in your ear like Grado's where you can be right in the action. Different headphones produce their own subtle and different sound field and listening experience, these are different species of headphones from Grado. If you seek and want a refined sound then these headphones will accommodate quite nicely.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd give this 4 stars, 18 Jan. 2014
I have 2 main criteria for evaluating headphones - fit and sound quality a) at point of purchase b) after 100 hours break in.

This set fits me just fine and the on-ear size + thick foam provides fair isolation. I wear headphones while taking walks so I do not need total isolation for obvious safety awareness reasons.

At point of purchase - sound was bright and base was immediately present and overall sound was balanced. I use an I-phone & a FiiO6, both at flat setting and this product blended well in my set up. I agree that the aesthetics can be discouraging - the cheap look is a turn off. Sennheiser would be better served if they did away with the fake chrome. Senn's plastic appears flimsy but they are strong - unless abused. When I got home, I wore them in front of a mirror - they blended with my silver hair - hmmm... not bad at all.

I've been playing them for 18 hours and the base seems to be getting better rounded. I am waiting for the rest of the sound spectrum to wake up - very encouraging at this point, and I am getting to like these headphones and may not avail of the return policy.

Bottom line: Head & Headphone must match given time. I will never expect Senns to behave like Grados which are so very much "in there" - sometimes I enjoy the "soft" characteristics Senns afford me.