on 7 April 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
On first launch the sheer number of tools that Corel Painter X3 displays is a little overwhelming and gives the impression that this application has a steep learning curve. But once you get yourself acquainted with its nuances you soon realise that the huge array of tools are made a lot more accessible thanks to all the brush types being grouped into logical categories. In addition, an excellent feature is the ability to be able to search for a specific brush type, rather than having to manually find it. So, for instance, typing in “watercolour” will quickly bring up all the brushes of this type, which is extremely handy. It is then possible to get a preview of what the brush strokes will actually look like.

Another superb feature that aids usability is the Advanced Brush Controls, this is a context-based system that will only display the controls relevant to the brush you are using, this makes choosing the appropriate controls much easier.

The whole painting experience is wonderfully re-created and Painter X3 will create brush strokes based on things such as pressure applied or speed of the brush stroke, just like on real canvas. It’s even possible to set randomness and jitter levels so that strokes don’t appear too identical and have a proper human touch.

Corel Painter X3 is a fantastic application for anyone who wishes to have a dabble with painting but don’t want all the mess or expense of buying paints and brushes, etc. It has some very advanced features aimed at more professional artists but is user friendly enough to cater for hobbyists as well.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 6 April 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a small number of family photos (another family member took the majority for herself) so these photos are very precious to me. A few months ago I was showing another relative the handful that I have and before I realised what happened she had tried to roll it up in her hand and pocket it. Unfortunately the photo is nearly 100 years old and was on a form of card which snapped in two when she tried to roll it - there is less than 2 mm holding it together.

I decided to scan it to and try and repair the damage to the image so I could produce a new clean image. I had tried Photoshop but I wasn't getting the results I wanted. When I saw this package I thought I would give it a try.

I started by copying the image several times so if I messed up I wouldn't have to rescan the picture again (I obviously want to handle the damaged picture as little as possible). I then started to "play" with the image and discovered that there are an incredible number of options - so many that it will take me months to try them all.

The best thing I can do is to advise you to make copies of whatever image you are going to work on and to save them to a new name each time you alter them and like what you see. This way you will never lose your original image and you can take several steps back to a previous alteration in order to try something new/different.

The "brush strokes" have enabled me to try both bold and fine repairs to the image.

There are also options which have enabled me to "clean" the image and sharpen it too.

There are so many options to try and some of them have unexpected effects (which is why it is always worth saving frequently).

I have not finished with the image, and have plans for an image of my Grandfather in his uniform which, once cleaned up and enhanced, I will be turning a copy of it into an embroidery pattern.

If you want something that is more than just the bog-standard photo-shopping program - something which can alter the image from a mass to a pinprick scale then this is probably for you.
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think this is going to take me a while to learn. I am, however, very impressed with the choices it gives. There are a lot of tools of all kind and I was able to come up with quite a reasonable picture within an hour or so. I was also able to import a digital stamp from a set I have and colour it in. I'd like more photo editing tools but it isn't really that kind of program so I didn't expect there to be many in it. I think the basics that a user would need are, though. I'm sure this program is going to provide a lot of pleasure and help me in my hobby of card making.
VINE VOICEon 21 April 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For my digital painting, I have been using Serif DrawPlus for 5 years now. I also have a Wacom Tablet for drawing. My graphics creation and photo manipulation experience have been great. However Corel Painter X3 has taken it to a whole new level. With the Wacom Touch and Fun Tablet, I have been able to create great images for the web and print. I like this with photos, as I run a small Graphics Studio in which we manipulate photos and create various images mainly for printing.

The feature set is just impressive. So many cool adjustments and utilities for images like lighting, hue/ saturation, layer masks, magic wand lasso and opacity that I do not have in DrawPlus or may be have failed to locate. Some things however are easy to do in Drwaplus than in Painter X3. Painter X3 has a slightly deep learning curve, not surprising given the fact that this goes beyond entry - level where DrawPlus ends.

Cool drawing features such as crayon, oils, stylus and tilt angle just makes it really easy to achieve professional results. Admittedly there are things I still have to do in DrawPlus because it is still awesome, just that I now do a whole lot of new things for the Web and Print that I could not do before.

I do not hesitate to recommend this both Enthusiasts and Professional Graphics Designers.
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am reviewing this as an amateur 'dabbler' in digital art, having used Corel Painter Essentials for some time, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. However, this programme is obviously a whole new ball-game. I am working my way through the tutorials, which seem very thorough and well thought-out. However, I will most likely invest in further support material as my skills progress and make time to watch some of the tutorial videos that are available on the web.. It is a user-friendly programme and works well with my Wacom tablet. How fantastic to be able to try out all the different brush strokes and effects, without wasting paint and paper on things that don't turn out well, and then delete them and start again. My one complaint is that you get so involved in this programme that hours pass without your realising it. The smart photo-painting tool is excellent, producing fantastic results from your photos and the 'Jitter' tool adds an element of the 'human touch'. I have only really touched the surface of this wonderful programme and would encourage other amateur artists with an interest in digital art to have a go and not be put off by what is actually an extremely clever and versatile professional artists' tool.
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I can only write as someone who is a relative beginner to digital art. Indeed, after the straightforward installation of this software, the extensive capabilities of Corel Painter X3 became immediately evident, and for a while I felt quite lost.

My initial thoughts were that this is going to take me quite a while to learn, with there seeming to be far more functions than I thought I would ever really need to know about or use. Feeling quite daunted I immediately referred to the considerable amount of tutorials so readily available on the Corel website, and I have not looked back since.

In a simple review it is difficult to do justice to all the facilities at your disposal in Corel Painter X3. Those with more experience in the medium of digital painting will be better placed to advise those who wish to immediately use the software to its full potential. For beginners though, I heartily recommend this product but would definitely suggest that full use be made of the online Corel tutorials. They cater for all levels of experience, and for virtually all scenarios. Thank you.
VINE VOICEon 30 April 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a close to 'real' painting and drawing you can get on a computer. The brushes, ink/paint types and paper types are extensive and give wonderfully natural results. Everything can be customised to give exactly the right feel to your finished artwork, and it works great with a Graphics Tablet (I use a Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch Graphics Tablet). If you are an amateur or a professional then this is THE package to use.

For those that may be confused about the types of graphics packages available, this is for achieving the look and feel of natural paint and paper art. It is not designed to compete with Photoshop or CorelDRAW.

As a quick rough-n-ready guide:
Photo Editing = Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, PhotoPlus, etc. (limited natural art/vector drawing)
Vector Drawing = Illustrator, CorelDRAW, DrawPlus, etc (limited photo editing/natural art)
Natural Art = Painter, etc... (limited vector drawing/photo editing)

For those who are serious about natural art forms on a computer then Painter is the only game in town!
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Excuse my short and sweet review.
If you’re used to using Adobe Creative Suite, or similar, then this will come somewhat naturally to you. Tool layout is similar, and scaling brushes the same.
If you have a Wacom tablet, well good on you. If you don’t, I would recommend you do. It makes ‘painting’ far more accurate and enjoyable than using a mouse.
This runs like a dream on my Quad Core Mac Pro. (I previously had it on my 2.7Ghz iMac, and it ran fine on that, too.)
It’s a powerful piece of kit, and if you’re serious about your digital artwork, then jump on this.

I’d recommend trying the demo if you’re uncertain:
[...]

And there’s the Getting Started guide available online, which you might find useful:
[...]
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As someone who has never attempted digital painting, this is a daunting piece of software! I have no special tablet and only a run of the mill computer, but I am taking small steps (in the right direction) to becoming a competent digital painter.

The power at your fingertips is immense and I still can't believe how realistic both the creation, and the finished product are. The brush strokes really do look like the strokes of a real brush and the creative possibilities are endless. To think that such a creative tool exists, and is affordable, is simply mindblowing.

Caution though, I have spent a whole weekend hiding away with my computer!
on 5 June 2014
If you are interested in migrating from traditional art media to a digital based painting environment. Then this is the software for you. This is, to my knowledge, the only software that can really give a feel of traditional physical media. Such as oil paint, watercolour with layers that emulate water based pigment bleeding into paper, chalk, crayon, pencil, pastel and more. For many years I have been a landscape and seascape painter in traditional oils, as well as pencil, and 'Painter X3' is now becoming my medium of choice. I would recommend Painter X3 to anyone at any level that has an interest in painting and drawing. A fantastic bit of kit!

See one answered question