5.0 out of 5 stars Corel Painter X3
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars which I find certain things are better than Corel painter
All the bells and whistles, but no manual.
Been using sketchbook pro, which I find certain things are better than Corel painter.
Not sure if its worth the money, only time will tell.
Published 6 months ago by Stephen Murphy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Corel Painter X3, 28 Mar. 2014
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although I am writing this as a Vine reviewer I should point out that I am totally new to digital painting but I have been doing Matte digital art in Adobe Photoshop for a few months. My computer runs on Windows 7 Pro and it has 16 GB RAM as well as a good 3D graphics card. Essentially I had the computer made to process very large images using the full 4-core capability of Photoshop. So I am very much a new boy on the block as far as painting is concerned. My computer runs and makes 3D images without any issues.

There have been reports of this program (X3) having a noticeable delay between brush stroke and it appearing on the page. I have not experienced anything like that. Every stroke is immediately on the page and I suspect that those experiencing any delay must be due to computer performance.

When I first started using X3 I did so via a Wacom graphics tablet. My first words were "Wow" as the paint flowed over the page. I have since followed some of the free tutorials on the Corel web site and used numerous mediums and brush sizes. My experience has been that this is the nearest thing to real painting that I have ever experienced - just without the mess. You have to be just as careful about what you do but the good thing is you can delete any mistakes, The tutorials are very good but occasionally miss one step out that has to be worked out with a bit of lateral thinking. Having said that I on my first attempt I converted a Photoshop PSD image into a painting within one hour with a result that I was really pleased with. I find the compatibility with Photoshop very useful indeed because each program has its own strengths and this feature gives you the benefit of both programs.

It has to be said that this program is not a toy or some kind of cheap gimmicky program. It is a very serious program with what seem to be endless options in colours, mediums and brushes etc. If you cannot, as an artist, find what you want in this program I would be very surprised indeed. Because it's not a toy for people like me the tutorials are an essential feature to help you to get to grips with it. It's layout is very similar to Photoshop and that helped me considerably. Despite it being a complex program I think if you are interested in doing any form of digital art then this program should be right at the top of your list - it is superb in all aspects.

If I can once again use Photoshop as a guide (because it is the industry standard in so many areas) I would call Corel X3 the Photoshop of digital art. Art is where its strengths are and it does it very well indeed. The big advantage for me is being able to use the same image in both programs. I was recommended by my son, who is a designer, to get Corel Paint some years ago and he said that it worked well with the Wacom graphics tablets. I can confirm that it works like a dream with the Wacom tablet and I can easily see why designers and artists pick Corel Painter programs to do their work.

As a rank beginner to digital art I have been blown away by the capabilities of this program. It rightly deserves its reputation as a first class art program. If you are starting out in digital art like me then I doubt that you would ever want anything else. It is simply superb, free flowing and accurate. The official description given by the program manufacturers is very truthful and can be trusted in its description. In short I have not found anything to complain about at all, which is very unusual for me. Sometimes you just come across an absolute gem of a product and Corel X3 is one of those items. The manufacturer should be very proud of their product and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to do digital art in any form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful new features alongside performance and stability improvements, 31 Aug. 2013
J. Malcolm (Paisley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Corel Painter X3 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Before I start my review I should mention that I'm a beta tester for Painter as well as being lucky enough to be on Corel's Painter Advisory Council. I feel very privileged to be able to play some small part in making Painter better with each version. Having said all that, I take part in these activities because I love using Painter, and not the other way round, and my review is written purely from my experience as a user.

Before I start mentioning any new features, I think it's important to note that performance and stability have been given plenty of attention, building on, and improving on Painter 12. I've always had reasonable load times with the last couple of versions of Painter. Painter 12 takes about 7 seconds from double click to being at the Welcome Screen and ready to create a new document. Painter X3 is between 5 and 6 seconds. It feels more stable too. I haven't had a single crash when using the retail version, and it's been capable of handling some fairly hefty image sizes without complaint.

On to the new features now. I'm only going to cover those most important and valuable to me as an illustrator. There are improvements and new features catering for photo-painters too, but I'm not the best person to cover these.

The standout feature for me has to be the new Perspective Tool. Previous versions of Painter has a Perspective Grid that could be turned on, off and manipulated. It catered for one-point perspective only, and was of limited usefulness. To be honest, apart from trying it out once or twice I soon dismissed it. The new Perspective Tool is a different matter entirely. It allows the user to set up one-point, two-point and three-point perspectives. It allows the user to save presets, which is wonderful for those situations that need more than one set of vanishing points (a spaceship banking for example with a city in the background). The way that brushstrokes snap to the perspective guidelines is very cool, and the fact that they can be used simply as a visual guides too is useful. One tip is to hold down shift when working with perspective snapping to temporarily switch back to freehand drawing. I spent 4 years at college many moons ago, where we had to create accurate perspective drawings from scale plans, sections and elevations. I wish we had Painter back then.

The new Advanced Brush Controls is a fantastic idea, and will hopefully make tweaking Painter's brushes a little less intimidating for new users. It's a very simple idea, but a good one, and well executed. When activated it shows a small subset of brush controls, concentrating on only the most important ones for the chosen brush. Users still have access to the full set of Brush Controls though, which are needed for the clever people that love creating brushes almost from scratch.

The Brush search feature is nice. It's a great way to discover new brushes, as well as a good way to track down half-remembered ones.

Stroke previews: The stroke previews have improved so much that I find myself making test strokes on the canvas less often.

The new Reference Image panel is cool. In the past I had to open a second document to see a reference image. The new panel floats above the document window making it much more useful for me. I personally would have like the options to either open more than one reference image panel, or, have multiple tabs in one panel, but this is a good start.

Universal Jitter: This is a great feature for people like me that perhaps want to paint a bit more expressively. Being able to assign a bit of chaos and randomness to many of the brush settings is a good way to start.

There are a great number of very small tweaks and improvements too, but some of them deserve a mention as they show that Corel listen to their users. Simple little things like the default tool on the Mixer Panel being the eyedropper... no more accidentally messing up a perfectly good Mixer Pad with a big blob of black after a moments inattention. In previous versions Ctrl+B summoned up all the Brush Controls, and then Ctrl+B again only closed down the General Panel. Now a second press puts all the Brush Controls away again neatly.

I would happily recommend X3 to anyone (and I do), and for anyone undecided I'd recommend they try the demo

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Paint shop package, 3 April 2014
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have dabbled in many "Paint" shop packages before, mostly by Jasc (who then became Corel) but this is leaps and bounds beyond any of those. Secretly, I still use Paint Shop Pro 7 which is now 14-years-old, but I am so used to it.

Having not used Corel's previous editions in this particular series I cannot comment on if it is worth the upgrade. But for first-time buyers and experienced digital illustrators I assure that it most certainly is. My first experiment was in turning my photographs into faux-watercolors, which worked with far greater results than anything Instagram has to offer (I did worry that many of this packages functions would be Instagram-like, but not to worry, they are not).

Video game artists, and even graphic artists creating digital backdrops for movies, be they amatuer or professional, so really get a kick out of this package's abilities. Want your movie to have a other-wordly feel? Simply shoot a high-res shot of a cloudy, fiery sunset, then make a watercolor out of it, perform a shot or scene against a green screen, and chroma key your fiery sunset watercolor into it.

Obviously talent (and a steady hand) is required to get the most out of it. I have always been fascinated by digital art found on the likes of DeviantArt. A REALLY useful tool on Painter X3 is the vanishing point tool which can snap 3D models to set perspectives, which means creating large 3D models is much easier and quicker (these can be temporally switched-off if need be), and is another great feature for video game graphic artists.

Some may call the interface dated, but for people who are not very experienced in graphic art (such as myself) the layout of the program is familiar enough to not alienate you from the moment it loads, which I say is a good thing.

For the price tag it offers so much to so many and is definitely worth it. I have always considered Corel to be the best at paint/photo shop programs and Painter X3 is proof that they are still at the top of their game. You could spend a year playing with all of the tools and functions and still not get bored of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best out there, 28 Mar. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Running the software on a 16GB 2.2 GHz i7 Macbook on OS X 10.9.2 is a breeze. I can’t comment on the reviews who’ve said it runs slowly, but that might be down to their operating system (get rid of that Windows software and experience what real power is!)

Painter X3 is a real beauty. If you’ve only ever used Photoshop and are wondering whether it’s worth trying, then that all depends on what you want to use it for. There is no denying that Photoshop is an awesome tool, but its primarily aimed at photo manipulation rather than actual painting (which is where Painter X3 comes in). So if you’ve ever felt Photoshop lacking in the digital painting department, then this is what you need.

Just like Photoshop however, there are far more functions than you’ll ever need to know about, and I found that just diving in and having a play for just 30 minutes, I was able to quickly familiarise myself with the main tools for what i need (as well as discovering new techniques and brushes along the way). When you find yourself in search of something which isn’t so easy to find, that’s when I google it!

For best results couple it with a tablet - I’m using a bog standard Wacom Intuos and it gives a very realistic feel to my painting.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars At first look, 28 Mar. 2014
J D Tilston (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think this is going to take me a while to learn. I am, however, very impressed with the choices it gives. There are a lot of tools of all kind and I was able to come up with quite a reasonable picture within an hour or so. I was also able to import a digital stamp from a set I have and colour it in. I'd like more photo editing tools but it isn't really that kind of program so I didn't expect there to be many in it. I think the basics that a user would need are, though. I'm sure this program is going to provide a lot of pleasure and help me in my hobby of card making.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Traditional Painting Experience., 27 Mar. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being an artist for over half a century and a digital one for nearly a week, I feel that this program makes a good attempt at simulating working with traditional materials on a computer. The tools are very realistic and definitely have the edge on the main competition, which are perhaps more oriented towards photo-retouching. For those who miss the total art experience - you could always dab on a few drops of turpentine, while placing your lcd screen on an easel.

Some reviewers have commented on the slow running speed of this program. My computer is about six years old (as of 2014), running Windows XP, and I can report that I have not discovered any such issues. But, it is only fair to mention that I do attempt to run the cleanest possible system by not overloading it with a lot of peripheral applications (iTunes, Sat-Nav et al) and 'heavy' browsers. I generally use my laptop to play games, video, music and surf the internet.

HAPPY PAINTING!

5.0 out of 5 stars This was one of my better idea's, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Corel Painter X3 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
It really is all sing all dancing, however it can be a bit over powering with all the brushes etc. But once you have a play with it your find it pretty easy to use. Me i watch artist on you tube and they are really helpful. Showing me how to blend. But my fav is quick clone. Where I can turn my fav photos into paintings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only true digital painting software, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Corel Painter X3 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
If you are interested in migrating from traditional art media to a digital based painting environment. Then this is the software for you. This is, to my knowledge, the only software that can really give a feel of traditional physical media. Such as oil paint, watercolour with layers that emulate water based pigment bleeding into paper, chalk, crayon, pencil, pastel and more. For many years I have been a landscape and seascape painter in traditional oils, as well as pencil, and 'Painter X3' is now becoming my medium of choice. I would recommend Painter X3 to anyone at any level that has an interest in painting and drawing. A fantastic bit of kit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely effective, 19 May 2014
S. Lindgren - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not the cheapest piece of software under the sun, but excellent value for an art package of this type.

As usual with Coral products, it's loaded up with all the facilities most people could ever want, installation is quick, and it doesn't take up excessive amounts of space on a hard disc (suggesting the code has been properly refined). Large image files appear to be handled very effectively, even on modest hardware, and the interface is quite intuitive. A massive range of virtual textures, inks, paints, brushes &c. are included, & this is as close as I've experienced to traditional physical art in a digital medium. Very little to fault here & highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial response positive but looking forward to more extensive testing, 14 May 2014
Arkgirl (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As an amateur, and more used to photo editing than painting products, I was intrigued by this product and I have been very impressed by my initial forays. It has a very clear interface and it was very quick to start playing. The variety of paint techniques, devices and styles might be a bit unnerving at first but I have been impressed with some of the work I have achieved from scratch and also when adapting photos.
It is a programme that will be better assessed over time but I feel that it offers a lot to beginners and advanced users.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Corel Painter X3 (PC/Mac)
Corel Painter X3 (PC/Mac) by Corel (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / 8)