Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 September 2013
First of all I was proper excited to see that Megadeth were releasing a new live CD/DVD/Blu-ray, hoping it would make up for the fairly average Rust in Peace: live set.
The thing that struck me about this disc (I only have the CD, not the dvd etc) is that it truly sounds "live", most "live" discs these days sound a tad overly produced. Not this one.
Good things about this CD. Even though the sound isn't exactly perfect, it's remains a true representation of what happened at that show. I've seen numerous people post on youtube that say they were there at the show this recorded and confirm it sounds exactly like what they remember, so it's nice to think that what I'm listening to is a proper live album.
Hearing songs like "Captive Honor", "forclosure of a dream" and "psychotron" performed live was really cool. I do think it would've been awesome if they had included a second CD, just for a couple of extra classics like "In My Darkest Hour" and "Wake up Dead" and to space out the set a little.

Bad Things about this disc. The cover could've been at least a bit more imaginative, who designed this thing? It just doesn't grab the attention at all. The Bass levels may start to bug you after a bit, constantly going up and down and sometimes the guitar levels are just as bad. Some of the solos are slightly fluffed up, but then again least we know it's live.

In conclusion I probably wouldn't recommend this set to anyone other than die-hard Megadeth fans, like myself, but rather suggest "Rude Awakening" or the 20th Anniversary edition of "Countdown To Extinction" which features the original album remastered and the simply fantastic "live at the Cow palace" cd.
on 26 September 2013
The setlist and performance are very good, but the sound quality on the CD is poor in parts.
The bass is sometimes too loud and overpowers the vocals and lead guitars at times.
Dave's vocals (Which I feel are great on this album) are often lost in the mix and can be difficult to hear in some songs.

Although, even with these problems, I still enjoyed the album... Mostly because I really wanted a good live version of Psychotron!

I would definitely recommend 'Countdown To Extinction: Live' to a Megadeth fan, but I would advise getting the DVD instead, which has better sound quality.

My highlights of the album were: Skin O' My Teeth, High Speed Dirt and Psychotron.
on 6 August 2015
If only Metallica were as good as Megadeth.Have always preferred them.This album saw Megadeth at the top of their game and when Marty Friedman left one album later it all looked up for them but Mustaine knows what he is about and apart from one or two questionable offerings,Megadeth on their day can kick anyone's arses.This live album although a little ropey sonically is a welcome edition to my collection and the production is as good as the 'official' Rude Awakening live album.Buy it now.
on 15 March 2016
This was weird - I never heard a live metal album with such predominant ever present bass sound. I had to change settings on my sound system to get it right. Other than the sonics, this was a good collection of classic songs of the very important record of the band from the 90s. Although I tell you, I'd probably enjoy listening to this live more than on the album. Not the same spirit. But it is no the band or the sound engineers to blame for.
on 8 November 2015
Quick delivery again off amazon which is great but disapointed with the sound it's too heavy on the base which stops you from hearing the guitars as you should hear them the picture quality is good and the concert is good but the mix of the sound isn't
on 18 October 2013
Super album, all time great and a welcome addition to my collection.
Really recommend to any hard rock fan from any era.
on 13 February 2015
Can't argue with this era of megadeth. Classic thrash classic album done live. What's not to like?
on 4 September 2014
What can you say one of the best ever metal bands.
on 11 July 2015
the best live album of Megadeth, awesome
on 30 September 2014