on 3 August 2013
I started this series on a Monday, and four days later I had finished them all. The series, and especially this book, are absolutely fabulous. It was a fantastic conclusion, but definitely left me wanting more adventures from Amaranthe and Sicarius and the gang.

I was also amazed to find out it's only been released for a week or two, an absolutely brilliant book.
on 28 February 2014
Okay, when I started this I was probably 35% interested in the ending (getting Sespian back on the throne if possible, the guys getting their bounties removed, Sicarius and Amaranthe finding each other) and 65% interested in Amaranthe and Sicarius getting their night together that was mentioned in the previous book and finishing what had been in the works since probably book 1 or 2.

I think there was a little too much discussion in the first 40% or so, and with me eager for my two favourite characters to find each other again I may have skipped a few bits though I don't think I missed anything exciting.

There was a lot of action in this one as everything reached its pinnacle: outing bad guys, running into gang members, the return of monsters...it was full on to say the least.

But for me the best bit has to be the epilogue *grins like an idiot* and I'm sure you can figure out what happens in it.

One thing made me almost cry but I wont spoil it by telling you what.

A great ending to the series and I cant wait to read more about Sicarius and Amaranthe's adventure!
on 19 August 2013
What a great ending to a fantastic series. A friend recommended Lindsay Buroker to me and I am so grateful that she did. Wonderful plots, fantastic characters, and a very readable writing style. Perfect!

"Forged in Blood II" brings the reader to the end of a tremendous adventure. The characters have grown and developed brilliantly along the way and in this final volume, I particularly liked the integration of various different threads and characters from past stories. Some other authors have singularly failed to bring their series to a satisfying end - not so with this series. In fact I can easily imagine the characters all going on to live their lives, their stories continuing well beyond the epilogue of this book.

In the author's notes at the end of the book she asks readers for suggestions for more stories based on these characters and I can only hope that she is inspired to write about their adventures some more.

I very rarely give five stars but couldn't bear to be the first to post a four star review!
on 20 September 2013
I first discovered this series over a year and a half ago. Since then, I have been waiting, with bated breath, to see how it would come to an end. I confess, I expected to be disappointed. Not because I didn't think the author could do it but because I have read many series finales that have completely fully short of the bar...

I am pleased to say that that book more than met every expectation many wild imaginations of the last months had conjured. The book brings together all of the themes and sub-plots into a final which left me desperate for more but not disappointed.

I avoid spoilers so all I will say is that the ending is, quite likely, the only way to make the reader feel both that the series is realistic and that the characters really still have a sense of friendship and love that has grown throughout the seven books.

I am sad the series is over and I look forward to whatever Lindsay Buroker writes in the future. It should be interesting.
on 11 August 2013
Loved the book; loved the series. Sad it had to end although Lindsay Buroker has left numerous little tags that could be pulled and turned into another story. Inevitably finished it wanting more.

Lindsay Buroker writes with beautiful descriptions making her characters come to life. You can easily picture what is happening even if it does involve a crashed ancient technology space ship and the consequences. Science (magic) and its use causes the usual problems but the main characters use their initiative and find ways round it even managing to see off a top practitioner. Just wish that all of the essential characters had survived but that wasn't to be ..... :(

Please read this series in order as there are numerous threads running from one book to another and you need the background of the characters and the current situation to enjoy this book.
on 7 October 2013
All good things come to an end.

Given that I don't want to spoil the cliffhanger at the end of the book prior to this one, I'll refrain from mentioning plot details in this review.

I will say that the ending is very satisfactory, and a suitable farewell to some remarkable and indepth characters who I've laughed and commiserated with over the last few days.

5 stars throughout for a very enjoyable series.

I'm now left with the sad bereft feeling of having reached the end. Which, while not a feeling I particularly relish, is a sign that the author has hit the right note in making me emotionally attached to fictional characters. It makes me wonder if good writers are kind of evil.

Thanks once again to the author for sharing this story, and taking away hours of my life with this fun adventure!
on 29 July 2013
I loved these books. I read the whole series in a short space of time never wanting the story to end. I highly recommend these stories. I hope the author would consider adding to the titles. Loved it.
on 16 August 2013
I've got to say I thoroughly enjoyed Ms Buroker's ending to the Emperor's Edge story. No doubt other people will feel differently, but I think she managed to bring the story (and several others!) to a very fine convergence. I say convergence as there is definitely room for further stories after this point, but the Emperor's Edge section is now certainly at a close.

What else can I say - I laughed, I cried, I worried and cheered for our heros. I was thoroughly teased and enthralled by the writing and wish nothing but strength and ceaseless imagination for Ms Buroker. Utterly selfish of me of course... How else am I to get my Buroker fix???
on 21 December 2013
What do I love about this series. The adventure, there's never a dull moment, it's exhausting just reading about it.The world, which mixes magic, snow, alien spacecraft and steam trains all in one large melting pot. The characters, even if I still can't quite pronounce Maldynado's name quite correctly, he still makes me giggle.
And of course Siccarus, He fascinates me.
I'm sad it's over. But I have really enjoyed this wild ride of a series. Well done Lindsay Buroker.
on 4 October 2013
This isn't a stand alone book, reader needs to have read the previous six in the series to best enjoy the final installment. Brilliant series and brilliant book with a satisfactory conclusion. I empathised with all the characters and was amused, happy and sad in all the right places. If, as a reader of fantasy, you want a whole new world to be drawn into I suggest you read these books, you won't be disappointed.