Size: 32 GB|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on 9 July 2014
I never write reviews to be honest but in this case the flash drive definitely deserves 5 stars so I had to make the time to share my experience. Speed are exactly as advertised: Aprox 250MB/s reads and 95MB/s writes.
The first time I tried it on my PC it only gave me speeds of 40MB/s reads and writes so I thought some of the bad reviews must be accurate then and a bad batch was sent to some customers. So just to be fair to Sandisk I've tested it on my laptop as well - I instantly got the speeds advertised by the manufacturer
It turns out the USB 3.0 drivers that came with the motherboard were the problem somehow so I've uninstalled them and Windows 8.1 has replaced them with the default ones.
The story is that if you don't get the advertised speeds don't jump straight to giving these devices a bad review. Do some tests - different computer, different drivers.....
The flash drive is definitely worth the money
44 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2014
Excellent, nice design, portable, seems well built, and it is very fast:

USB3 port, Crystal Disk MarkS test, 2000MB of data, random write operations:

sequential read: Read: 200MB/s - Write 188.4MB/s (movies transfered in seconds!!!)
512k samples: Read: 144.1MB/s - Write 23.31MB/s
4k samples: Read: 10.60MB/s - Write 10.12MB/s
4kQD32 samples: Read: 9.175MB/s - Write 10.14MB/s
review image
on 20 February 2014
So much less frustration than my old USB2 stick !

Wanted to share just how much faster this is than buying a cheap 64GB USB2 stick.

This stick:
SanDisk SDCZ80-064G-G46 64GB Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
"up to 190 MB/s read, write speed lower and varies by capacity"
On Amazon from Jan 2013, 16 reviews 4 stars, Current price £50

My old stick:
iBoutique IB64GUSB2 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Elite Flash Drive (64GB, Jet Black)
"20 MB/s write, 30 MB/s read"
On Amazon from Jun 2011, 1800 reviews 4 stars, Current price £16, cheap, so still being bought frequently

Most noteable real world differences for me are:
A. SanDisk read is 7x faster in USB3 port than iBoutique in USB2 port
B. SanDisk write is 6x faster in USB2 port than iBoutique in USB2 port (this really helps)

Figures below are in MB/sec

Max.speed test with ATTO benchmark (PC = Windows 7, I7, test = 1 GByte of 8 MByte files)

iBoutique-USB2 in USB2 port = 8 write, 21 read

iBoutique-USB2 in USB2 port = 4 write, 19 read
in USB3 port = no different

SanDisk-USB3 in USB2 port = 23 write, 31 read
in USB3 port = 77 write, 128 read

Someone-else highlighted that exFat (e.g iBoutique) seems to be significantly slower
than Fat32 (e.g SanDisk) when writing lots of files, and could be a major cause of transfer slow-down.

This Kingston stick claims to be a tad faster, I doubt if it's any different in real world,
but I prefer SanDisk Extreme make since using the hi-speed camera-card equivalent

Kingston Technology 64GB USB 3.0 DTHX Flash Drive
"up to 225 MB/s Read, up to 135 MB/s Write"
On Amazon from Nov 2011 (really?), 60 reviews 4.5 stars, Current price £45
on 13 April 2014
I've never come across a USB drive that can deliver such speed as this. I bought the 64 GB version and using Blackmagic Disk Speed Test on my Mac I achieved:

Read: 184.1 MB/s
Write: 253.7 MB/s

Pro's:
Amazing Speed.
Nice slide and lock mechanism.
Very easy to get in to packing.

Cons:
Feels a little cheap as it's plastic.
A little larger than I would have liked.

Still giving 5 stars though as I am VERY impressed with this flash drive.

Buy one, you'll not regret it :)
review image
on 16 July 2014
The 32GB USB drive is NOT bootable. This is not mentioned anywhere, but the USB stick can only be used for storing files on. Forget about creating a Windows install USB, a Linux live USB, a recovery USB, or anything else that you can do with any number of cheap USB drives. The firmware on the drive is not updatable, but Sandisk have advised that newer models have a revised firmware which makes the drives show as non-fixed drives. Amazon need to make it clear that these drives do not operate like traditional USB drives.
66 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2014
The transfer speed of the SanDisk Extreme USB3.0 range is simply incredible, and as of right now one of the fastest available. Typical transfer speeds for me are 95-100MB/s - it's important to understand that this Megabytes (not Megabits). In Megabits terms, ie what your broadband speed is gauged in, this would be closer to 800Mb/s.

In practical terms, it can transfer a 1 gigabyte file - such as a movie - in 10 seconds.

There are dozens of USB3.0 sticks on the market, but few of them take advantage of the speeds available. Many in fact are slower than their USB2.0 counterparts.

The speed of the SanDisk Extreme comes at a premium. You could very easily get a 64GB stick for the same price, or a 128GB for a little more, but those sticks will undoubtedly be slower. If you value speed over size, then this is the stick for you. If you'd prefer a bigger stick, and you're not overly concerned about transfer speeds, then you should probably consider another.

As an FYI, I used this stick to freshly install Windows 8.1 onto my new build computer, which houses a 250GB Samsung Evo SSD. It took just over 5 minutes, from beginning installation process to first bootup. I seriously cannot recommend this stick enough.
on 22 September 2015
I scoured the search engine results, read reviews, ratings and customer experiences before deciding on this one. The faster ones were far larger physically, but this is fast enough, and genuinely about ten times faster in use than the 5 year old pen/flash drive I had been using. I downloaded speedtest software and the speeds were confirmed that way too. I am happy - it is the right physical size, it is large in capacity, extremely fast and great for running programs/apps directly from it. I didn't bother with the secure folder stuff, but it comes with it. However, if you - like me - need to transfer very large files, then you will need to reformat for exFAT (it is FAT format, which is no good for massive files, and NTFS is not an option). exFAT is good too if you need to pop it into MACs as well as PCs. So why not all five stars? Well it's down to the build quality - I am not a fan of cheap plastic slide covers and the flashing operating light can only be seen from specific angles. I know, I am being picky, but hey it's my review.I highly recommend it - superb item for the money, just don't physically abuse it as it may break!
on 21 September 2013
This is the fastest USB I have had it moves big files so quickly from my MacBook to USB and in reverse.....incredible speed , so pleased I bought it that I bought another 32GB version as well .
Sandisk seems to be so much more reliable than other makes that seem to always end up malfunctioning at some point, and they are always faster than rated....excellent!
on 17 September 2014
It is very fast I have to admire. However, I have the same problem that many people have who bought this product: it cannot be detected with an USB 3.0 port. I have tried it on all my devices including my desktop, my laptop and macbook pro and I finally found the solution: just pull it a bit out of the port····then it will be recognized well.
I feel like I’ve been missing out for years now with the flash drives I’ve had in the past…this is just so much faster!

In the past I’ve always sacrificed speed for something else. In the case of my Corsair Flash Voyager I thought the rugged design and water resistance would be useful. I also have a SanDisk Cruzer Fit because I thought I wanted something super small, but in reality I now realise both those flash drives are ridiculously slow compared to this SanDisk Extreme drive.

Every time you use SanDisk Extreme you see the benefit of the additional speed, so unless you’re taking your flash drive extreme downhill mountain biking each weekend it’s probably difficult to justify the speed sacrifice to go for something like the Flash Voyager. Similarly unless you're planning on permanently leaving it in your computer or carrying it on your keyring then there’s probably no reason to choose the ultra small flash drives like the Cruzer Fit.

So to summarise, it’s not the most robust flash drive I’ve ever had, nor the smallest, but it’s certainly the fastest by some way and will be the one I carry around with me each day from now on.