4.0 out of 5 stars More Ethereal Beauty
Tookah is the sixth studio album from the tranquil Icelandic singer-songwriter Emiliana Torrini.

It has been a long five year wait for her avid fans since the stunning Me And Armini.

Published 10 months ago by Adam Finn

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my type of music
I didn't like her voice and the music was odd. I have listened more than once and have not changed my mind. Some people obviously like it, but not me.
Published 8 months ago by Leonardcarlyle

4.0 out of 5 stars More Ethereal Beauty, 18 Oct 2013
Adam Finn (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tookah (Audio CD)

Whilst this album doesn't reach the heights of Love in the Time of Science or Fisherman's Woman it is another essential inclusion in her expanding collection of soothing yet intriguing records. 'Blood Red' rubs shoulders with some of her best tracks.

The enchanted mystery of her style remains howver the electronic infusion feels a little more stripped back than normal. As you can see from the cover there is a certain tribal aura about the tracks that comes through every so slightly.

Listen to: 'Caterpillar', 'Elisabet', 'Blood Red'

5.0 out of 5 stars Best singer songwriter album of the year, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tookah (MP3 Download)
Heard this album on headphones in a record store and I was hooked within seconds. I love her vocal quality, pure but fragile. Tookah, Caterpillar, Autumn Sun and Home are all superb both musically and lyrically. Speed of Dark is not too much my thing but then the others are so good it doesn't matter! For me this album is up there with Kate Bush's Hounds of Hell and Bjork's Debut; a future classic. I can't wait to listen to her earlier stuff now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gorgeous album., 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tookah (Audio CD)
I made sure I didn't review Tookah until I had become familiar with it. Once you have developed a love for an artists previous work, the initial reaction tends to be a feeling that it does not match up to the songs you know and love. Admittedly this was the case here but now I have grown accustomed to the songs, I adore it.
Tookah is similar to Me and Armini in that it has some stripped back tracks but some up tempo ones alongside. I feared a more experimental album than the one Emiliana has delivered here. If you loved the last three albums, you will probably love this, but it is probably still quirky enough to avoid huge commercial success. I can handle that. In my opinion, not as good as Fisherman's Woman but on par with her other two English speaking albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
Nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tookah (Audio CD)
It's always a joy to discover a new artist and listen to their work for the first time and this one didn't disappoint

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tookah [VINYL] (Vinyl)
A superb album from the hugely talented Emiliana Torrini- highly recommended. Especially for the first single Speed Of The Dark

4.0 out of 5 stars long overdue, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tookah (Audio CD)
I am a huge fan of Emiliana's music. As what so often happens when an album is long overdue - one has such high expectations. Having produced 3 brilliant albums over the last 10 years or so has also helped in setting the bar very high for herself. So having anticipated the release of this 4th album - I can't help feeling a little disappointed. Firstly because of how short the album is (it seems shorter than it actually is for some reason). Secondly there is something that doesn't quite flow and hold the whole album together in the way that Love In The Time Of Science did and Fisherman's Woman ( in it's own minimal way) Don't get me wrong there are some beautiful moments here - like "Elisabet" and "Blood Red" (Emiliana as gorgeous as ever here), but it's tracks like Speed of Dark ( which should have just been donated to Kylie ) that pull the album down and what's going on with the last track ?...It sounds a bit like what she did with "Gun", but whereas "Gun" is a masterpiece. This track lacks coherence and like the album cover is just a bit weird. I just hope she doesn't lose sight of what she does best and continues to bring to us lots more stunning Emiliana music.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my type of music, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tookah (MP3 Download)

Tookah
Tookah by Emiliana Torrini (Audio CD - 2013)