on 9 October 2013
As lovers of the Ankh-Morpork game, we had high hopes for this one, and it has turned out to be quite justified. It is much fun to play, and does capture many of the classic parts of all the Pratchett witches stories. A fair amount of the references seem to be from the Tiffany Aching series, but that is no bad thing, those books showing a lot of the apprentice witching that this game emulates, and the variety of established witches and their politics.

It perhaps relies a little more on random chance than some complex games, but there is still a portion of strategy that can make the difference in the end. Rolling a double-cackle is always fun to see your opponents do and terrible when it happens to you, snake eyes would be gentle by comparison :). It's gameplay seems to me a little more in the style of battling card games than a typical board game, but A-M has a few of those themes too and they work well in both games.

The aesthetics of the tiles and cards are quite nice, although I have a minor niggle of green tiles placed on the largely green board being sometimes a little hard to see, that is probably just a sign of my poor eyesight :P. The graphics are quite detailed and fit the themes well. Great to see the characters we know in detail, good and evil. A little more variety on the easy tasks may have added an edge to it, but then being an apprentice of any sort means repetition of tasks, so that has verisimilitude :)

Not tried the solitaire or cooperative versions yet but that looks like it has potential for fun as well as the competitive mode.
on 22 May 2014
An excellent co-operative entry-level game. The game matches the theme nicely as does the play and the use of "Cackle" counters and both Mr Pratchett and Mr Wallace can be proud of the result in this game design. As with a lot of co-operative games this can be played solo as well as multi-player. Of the Co-operative games that are on the market this is at the low end of complexity but that does not mean low enjoyment, I have enjoyed every game of "The Witches" that I have played. Highly reccomended
on 9 July 2014
Excellent game much like the Discworld board game it has long instructions that look complicated but once you start playing it's easy to understand. Good long playing time.
on 25 February 2014
I bought Ank Morpork last Xmas and everyone loved it. This is slightly different but each time we play the game, we learn more and it's keeping us entertained!
on 8 January 2016
I haven't actually played the game yet, but I didn't know how else to post this bit of information: due to licencing issues following Sir Terry's death, Treefrog games can no longer manufacture this game (or the 3rd of the trilogy). Which means the the lucky ones already having bought the game should hold on to it tooth and nail.
on 5 November 2013
It's perfect for people that have been through the Terry Prattchet novels featuring Granny Weatherwax and Tiffany Aching. The references are just delicious. Also, nice game for two people only, if you want to expend a quiet evening. For larger games' nights it has the downside of only allowing a maximum of four players.
on 20 January 2014
My son loves it and my other children enjoy playing this game too would recommend this game for anyone that loves his books
on 30 December 2013
Bought as a gift but played after Xmas with the receipiant. Needed to check the rules online after the first game didn't really flow quite right. But once we had the rules sussed (rule book was fine just one bit could be interperated one of two ways) it played really well.
on 9 February 2015
My first discworld game and i really enjoyed it. It breaks the mould of your standard board games and kept us interested for the whole hours worth of playing time. We played with two people, neither of us with that much knowledge about discworld (weve read a few novels) but we still really enjoyed it despite not getting all the references. I would buy another discworld game based on my experience of this game. I had to knock off one star just because, despite the detailed instructions, we still dont know which order to lay the task tiles on the board - do we work across the piles or down the first before the second, third etc.? (If anyone knows please tell us!)
on 15 December 2013
This game has quickly become a favorite on my table. The gameplay is easy to grasp and can be taught to any level of gamer from seasoned pro's to complete newcomers and there are elements to appeal to them all!

The game flows brilliantly and scales up dependent on the amount of players so it never seems too easy or two hard, the chance for everyone to lose is always there so you find that helping each other out is sometimes as necessary as working against your fellow witches.

Highly recommended for any collection.