5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read
Enjoyed reading this book because I know the area so well. I found it full of interesting historical information, it reflects the moral and social attitudes in the early 1900s. Made me think of how society and the justice system has changed. Well researched. I recommend 'The St Neots Poisoning Case' as a good read.
Published 1 month ago by Mau

3.0 out of 5 stars Fictional Non-Fiction
This is a fairly interesting Victorian murder case and seems to be well researched, but I found the way it was written very irritating - to the point where I almost gave up.

Published 14 months ago by Martynrb

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 16 Nov 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Fictional Non-Fiction, 31 Oct 2013
Martynrb (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The St Neots Poisoning Case (Kindle Edition)

First of all, it needed professionally editing and proof-reading to eliminate the typos and minor mistakes before publication, such as "1900's", and "Shortly after the jury left, the undertaker, Mr Middleton, the undertaker, arrived".

But my main gripe is that the author has chosen to embellish a factual account with her own "literary" touches. Instead of simply telling us what the different characters said, almost every single piece of dialogue has people frowning, rubbing chins, stroking beards, looking sternly etc etc. For example: "As Linton, the magistrate, listened to Stevenson he subconsciously stroked at his own long white beard while gazing up at Stevenson's beard, as if weighing up whose was the most luxuriant". This is all made up stuff in a non-fiction book, and there is lots and lots of it!

The problem is that not only does it read like second-rate fiction, it left me wondering what I actually could believe - the last thing I want to feel when reading a "true" story. At one point she claims jury members sat up late into the night discussing the case in their hotel and implies that they got drunk and came to court with hangovers the next morning. I'm pretty sure this was fabricated. The problem is, I just don't know - which to me in a non-fiction crime book is an unforgivable crime itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read about a story I know so well, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: The St Neots Poisoning Case (Kindle Edition)
I have known about this story since the day Winston Churchill died, when I was taken to Stow Longa Churchyard to see Walter Horsford's grave in unconsecrated ground.. My great great aunt Fanny James is the first death recorded in this book. My parents did a lot of research into the history of this case. This book has given me so much more insight though into the problems that women faced at the time if they were suddenly widowed. I saw Walter's confession in the National Archives shortly after it was released under the hundred years rule. I am related to nearly everyone in this story. My Grandmother went with us to the Churchyard on that day and we came back to the news that not only Churchill but that her son had also died.

For those who like a good Victorian melodrama along with how the justice and police system worked let alone issues around the position of women at the time this is an excellent read.

My Mother has only been told about this but thanks to my daughter surfing the net I know of 3 members of the family that have purchased this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Nov 2014
Interesting History

3.0 out of 5 stars local history, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: The St Neots Poisoning Case (Kindle Edition)
I actually live in St Neots so was interested to read and note the current places / names etc however the book had a weak ending and seemed to diversify slightly to complete .... Was good overall though

The St Neots Poisoning Case