Fabric 71: MIxed By Cassy
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£7.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 20 September 2013
Cassy is one of the leading female underground DJs in the world, alongside the likes of Maya Jane Coles, Ellen Allien and Heidi. Recently I saw the other three I mention at the Eastern Electrics festival, and whilst Ellen Allien & Maya Jane Coles kept a packed dancefloor moving, in many ways this fabric reminds me of Heidi's set. She was on before Guy Gerber; one of the DJs I had most wanted to see at the festival, but running an hour behind schedule. Heidi's mix was, like this fabric, largely tech-house with some deep house sprinkled in. For all her enthusiasm, I found myself really just waiting for Guy to start, because his music has a more melodic style which I find more engaging. Fabric 71 similarly sounds like a warm up to something bigger to come; It never really peaks, it never really fully absorbs you.

Fabric 71 starts and finishes with some nice house records, but in truth from track 4 onwards, right up until the last few offerings, the set is made up of mediocre tech-house offerings. Compare this to some recent Fabric mixes; Gerber's Fabric mix was melodic and built beautifully, Sandwell District's was dark and haunting, peaking with a few outright techno monsters, and Petre Inspirescu's was very psychedelic with amazing use of orchestral elements. Cassy's mix doesn't come across as finely crafted; the tech-house music making up the body of this set offers neither the atmospheric moodiness of techno, or the soulfulness of house, and after not too long I found myself losing interest in the cd.

I've given it 3, rather than 2 stars because the start and finish of the mix are good, particularly Kulumba Project's 'Black Thoughts' (Tribal Mix) and the wonderful '(My Back is) Against The Wall' by Duster Valentine, which is the finale of the mix. Whether you feel they'll be enough here to be worth your money I'm not too sure. If you're a dedicated fan of tech-house you may find more of interest than I have, but overall this set is a bit disappointing to me as I've found it largely disengaging.

3/5
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 19 January 2015
nice deep techy mix,no major peaks or troughs just a good solid pace throughout,will be listening to it for a while yet.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again