5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and passionate
Dear Dr Durrant

When I started reading your book, I thought you had copied me, my Yevu (a white doctor with African soul) so much your feeling and aspirations were similar to mine.
You did a similar passage: I worked in Ghana, Zambia and Angola.
Honestly, you did far better and longer: you spent your whole professional life.
This was my dream but...
Published 13 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good at the start but farther on not so interesting.
Published 9 months ago by Bills's girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and passionate, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Across the Wide Zambezi: A Doctor's Life in Africa (Kindle Edition)
Dear Dr Durrant

You did a similar passage: I worked in Ghana, Zambia and Angola.
This was my dream but eventually I gave up.
But me too I adopted to boys, one from Ghana and one from Angola, now grown up and I enjoy my grandchildren.
The only part I did not like much is the Zambia time: I was not really interested in knowing the whites among Africans; me too I was highly bothered by these elements.
You are fantastic when you describe the way people are talking: you really made me to loudly laugh.
You caught the soul of the people and mixed it with yours.
You describe environment, people, habits, history, politics as a picture: you feel you can touch what you are reading.
It seems you published the book in 1995: it is a fresh book for all the times and all the ages and all sort of people. You can put a 2013 date.
Dear Doc "Durrrrant" (I am Italian and I laughed when you were commenting some Italian habits!!!): how would you spell my English pronunciation?? Ahhhh!
Thank you Dr Warren to have shared your soul.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good at the start but farther on not so interesting., 22 Feb 2014
A bit disappointed with this book. At the start I thought it was going to be a really interesting read as it told about a Doctors job in Ghana, the hospital, staff and how he was responsible for a large area away from the actual medical centre. As the book went on it focused a lot on past history of West Africa which was OK but also a lot of it was taken up about the lives of people he got to know there and frankly I found this a bit boring, this of course is my personal opinion, I lost interest and did not finish the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderfully discriptive, 12 Sep 2013
loved this book, i was absorbed from start to finish, couldnt put it down, feel as if i know a lot more about Africa than i ever did it was not only enjoyable but educational too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different and informative, 16 Oct 2014
I usually read fictional stories about Africa which, being an ex resident, I enjoy with a sense of nostalgia. However, Warren Durrant's account of his adventures as a doctor in Zimbabwe, both funny and sad, were really interesting and very readable. It left me wishing I could have met some of the characters he encountered during his time there. He speaks candidly of the successes and failures of his career as a doctor in Africa.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For Me, 21 Nov 2014
Far too many boring details about the various systems of public health hospitals in different African countries. Some of the anecdotes about tribal behaviour and religious beliefs were interesting, but I'm afraid that, much of the time, I was bored. Even the description of the outbreak of war in several places did not really help to make it a vitally interesting read.

3.0 out of 5 stars More a journal than a book, 24 Jun 2014
Although I enjoyed the read it was a bit disjointed and there were times you seemed to be left in a vacuum.Also the lack of a link between the stories gave the impression you were reading a diary.You certainly were not ever concerned as to what happened next.A bit more thought into the way it was written and linking events as well as more detail on the locality and residents would have made it a more enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars It brought back wonderful memories especially of life in Rhodesia., 16 Jun 2014
having medical background enjoyed reading of all the various cases he dealt with under difficult situations. having worked myself in one of his hospitals many memories flooded back.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped, 4 April 2014
The author must have lived a fascinating life in Africa, but unfortunately this book did not convey this to me.

2.0 out of 5 stars so disappointing, 17 Feb 2014
Sadly I've had to give up on this one. I've given up and come back to it quite a few times, but really either WD has read too many or possibly written too many text books, because that is exactly how it reads. As a Doctor I'm sure the medical procedures described are nothing out of the norm, but for the majority of us (and I'm not squeamish) you have to know where the boundaries are and WD doesn't. He uses words that are really quite obscure and generally I found the whole tone of the book pretty boring. I've read many, many books of this type and have always been enthralled, but this sadly failed in all areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well writtten, 22 Dec 2013
An interesting insight into the change from colonial Africa to their own self sufficiency. A little explicit on the medical side.