5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant second season, 30 Oct 2013
The first season of The Newsroom was a sublime and compelling adventure into the world of a fictitious US TV news desk - dealing with actual events and issues - with the benefit of hindsight. It was utterly brilliant (perhaps with the exception of the unfortunate, line toeing & gung-ho "we got him" Bin Laden episode - against the grain).

The second season does not disappoint - in fact it is probably even better. We go deeper into the character dramas, having our previous knowledge to build upon and deeper and more thoughtfully into the news issues. We meet some great new characters and Jane Fonda provides us with some more wonderful scenes.

We are left in no doubt as to Aaron Sorkin's political persuasions - which is fine by me as I consider him spot on (enjoyment of Bin Laden death excepted).

A superb series. Cannot wait until the third, fourth, fifth ....

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delicious Second Helping, 15 Oct 2013
Mr. N. J. Todman "mr_todtastic" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I need to lay my cards on the table: I think the Newsroom is currently the best thing on TV. I don't think it quite matches up to the West Wing, in terms of plot or characters, but Sorkin's writing of sumptuous dialogue, his lifting of the curtain on the values of news production, and his insights into the tensions between liberals and conservatives in America make this compelling viewing.

I enjoyed the first season a lot but I think this second one is even better. By the end of the first season I was a bit worn out by the love triangles. In this series it is the triangulation of three news events which binds the series together. The main one is an American black op called "Genoa". The other two are Jim's trail of the Romney campaign and Maggie's disastrous trip to Africa. Tarantino-style, Sorkin traverses time, cutting into these stories in a non-linear way to show their impact on each other, the effects on the characters, and the implications for the network broadcasting Will McAvoy's show. It simultaneously puts the viewer ahead and behind of the game, depending whether Sorkin wants us to guess what has happened or to see how the characters uncover what we already know has gone on.

The other main reason I prefer this season is that the first one was dominated by five characters- Will, MacKenzie, Don, Jim and Maggie. Because of the familiarity built with these characters first time out, while their stories remain important, there is much more space to develop others. Personally I was delighted Neil, Dev Patel's character, and Sloan were given some great story lines, as well as some top comedy moments.

This was a great second helping of the Newsroom- script, acting, story-telling, and production were all top notch. I can't wait for thirds.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... to wait for my fix of what is the best programme ever to have been transmitted on Sky, 16 July 2014
Here we go again as just been informed the delivery time for the 2nd season has been put back to October now-can anyone explain why I have to wait for my fix of what is the best programme ever to have been transmitted on Sky.
I need to see them again as the pace is so fast & furious.
The script is wonderfully written with humour&pathos, there are constant twists & turns & the acting is sublime but I'm sure I miss things out whilst watching it due to it's frenetic scenes.
I hope that unlike last year when it kept being put back that it really will be here by Oct 14 as I can't understand the delay.
Any ideas anyone?

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a joy - and a relief - to watch, 2 Aug 2014
Dr. Vernon M. Hewitt (Bristol, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
As with the West Wing, this series is hard hitting and perfectly scripted. It underlines the incredible strength of current US drama. The depiction of the Tea Party - which you sense comes from deep inside Sorkis' soul - has not, to my Whiggish sensibilities, been bettered. One might quibble with the Sorkin Myth that there was this golden age of America, that the Republic fell into this factional divisive period recently, but that is besides the point: The interview scene at North Western is one of the most remarkable pieces of drama I have seen for a very long time. It is a joy - and a relief - to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 13 Aug 2014
Just don't stop there please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 July 2014
John Pitcairn "JPP" (Kingseat) - See all my reviews
Excellent can't wait for season 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Missed final episode, 30 April 2014
Due to failed recording. Great to be able to purchase missed episode. Can't wait for next season to begin. Happy

The Newsroom - Season 2 [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]