Format: DVDChange

on 4 November 2013
I am a huge Vampire Diaries fan so I had to watch this, particularly as I had come to like Rebekah, Klaus and Elijah so much and was quite sad they would be leaving. After watching the back door pilot in the 4th season of TVD, I was hopeful this would be a great addition.
We are 5 episodes in now and I am loving it, it's quite a different tone to the vampire diaries but it really suits the characters and the setting of New Orleans .The storylines are exciting and the new characters are interesting, my only hope is that we see plenty of TVD crossovers to keep things still tied in, I can't wait to see where this goes and hope there will be many more seasons to come.
0Comment50 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 December 2014
A really great show. Started watching it as I watched The Vampire Diaries, but after the first season it's easy to say that The Originals has surpassed TVD for me. I look forward to future seasons and where the show will go.
The characters of Klaus and Elijah are what make this show, and the actors are top class.
on 27 January 2015
I bought this having watched vampire diares from the start and I am hooked on this as well now clause = Joseph Morgan is good at being bad I reccomened this to vampire and werewolf fans top quality
on 8 June 2015
Not just you standard vampire story. Characters have depth and family values are paramount. It makes you sad for the bully and get annoyed by the goody. Lots of blood (well it is a vampire movie!) , but lots of interesting and unexpected twists and turns. Witches and Werewolves all living in New Orleans ... who knew?! Hooked by end of episode 1, want more after episode 22. A great value buy.
on 8 February 2016
Klaus that blue blooded vampire/ pain in the neck from Vampire Diaries has made like a bat out of hell towards his old haunt in New Orleans. There, joined by equally long in the tooth siblings he attempts to stake his claim for being the real "king" in town. This is hampered not only by his aforementioned family whose motto seems to be "you never stab your own kin the back successfully when you can do it in the front badly" but also by plenty of cabals each with their own reasons as to why this would not be a good idea. Welcome to a town where you're never sure who you can trust, be they humans, werewolves, vampires or witches. So the usual grave looking suspects from most supernatural drama's.
Compared to The Vampire Diaries this programme is darker in tone with no sparkling vampires although with Klaus in town sparks of one sort or another will fly.
What really helps drive this series is the acting which is very decent; in addition Klaus's persona is smoothed over a little allowing the outright psycho from diaries to develop a few redeeming features. But just a few, mind you, he's gone to New Orleans not the Road to Damascus.
So what will happen to the new family in town? Will they get it in the neck? Check out season 1.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2016
If you've seen The Vampires Diaries then you surely know about the Mikalson family! Although it does have romance in it its mainly based around the family not so much a girl and boy/s falling in love. I really enjoyed seeing The Originals cross over into The Vampire Diaries so I had to watch this and I'm glad it did! I am hoping for a Vampire Diaries crossover into The Originals in the upcoming seasons!!!
on 20 February 2015
This is far better than Vampire Diaries, although did take a couple of episodes to get me hooked. Can't wait until I see season two.
on 24 December 2014
Better than I imagined,better than the vampire diaries,cant wait to get my hands on season two.hurry up and make it.
on 19 November 2014
So much better than vampire diaries. there is no teen drama just a good story with fantastic actors.
on 29 November 2014
This review (and the 3 star rating) is just about the Blu-Ray version, not the content of this very cool series!
Since so far nobody else seems to have commented on it yet, I thought I'd be the first to venture an opinion ;-)

Ok, image quality is excellent if (and this is a big IF) the scenes are well lit. Unfortunately, the dark nature of the series obviously doesn't leave much room for a lot of sunshine. Consequently, many scenes are shot at night (or at least supposed to take place at night (=>camera filters...)) or somewhere dark (tombs, cellars, churches, attics....). And all of these dark scenes are pretty grainy. I didn't notice this much noise in the DVD version, but perhaps it was just too blurry to see ;-)
And I'm pretty sure that the grain is not there for "artistic" reasons as one can see block artefacts during fast forwarding.

Sound is good - probably... Sorry, I don't have a special sound system, so I can only guess ;-)

Well, my recommendation is to think well whether a few nicely lit scenes are truly worth the extra money on the Blu-Ray...
If you're a die-hard fan then probably yes, otherwise just stick with the DVD version.