Format: DVDChange

on 4 November 2013
I am a huge Vampire Diaries fan so I had to watch this, particularly as I had come to like Rebekah, Klaus and Elijah so much and was quite sad they would be leaving. After watching the back door pilot in the 4th season of TVD, I was hopeful this would be a great addition.
We are 5 episodes in now and I am loving it, it's quite a different tone to the vampire diaries but it really suits the characters and the setting of New Orleans .The storylines are exciting and the new characters are interesting, my only hope is that we see plenty of TVD crossovers to keep things still tied in, I can't wait to see where this goes and hope there will be many more seasons to come.
0Comment50 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 December 2014
A really great show. Started watching it as I watched The Vampire Diaries, but after the first season it's easy to say that The Originals has surpassed TVD for me. I look forward to future seasons and where the show will go.
The characters of Klaus and Elijah are what make this show, and the actors are top class.
on 27 January 2015
I bought this having watched vampire diares from the start and I am hooked on this as well now clause = Joseph Morgan is good at being bad I reccomened this to vampire and werewolf fans top quality
on 8 June 2015
Not just you standard vampire story. Characters have depth and family values are paramount. It makes you sad for the bully and get annoyed by the goody. Lots of blood (well it is a vampire movie!) , but lots of interesting and unexpected twists and turns. Witches and Werewolves all living in New Orleans ... who knew?! Hooked by end of episode 1, want more after episode 22. A great value buy.
on 2 January 2016
If you've seen The Vampires Diaries then you surely know about the Mikalson family! Although it does have romance in it its mainly based around the family not so much a girl and boy/s falling in love. I really enjoyed seeing The Originals cross over into The Vampire Diaries so I had to watch this and I'm glad it did! I am hoping for a Vampire Diaries crossover into The Originals in the upcoming seasons!!!
on 20 February 2015
This is far better than Vampire Diaries, although did take a couple of episodes to get me hooked. Can't wait until I see season two.
on 24 December 2014
Better than I imagined,better than the vampire diaries,cant wait to get my hands on season two.hurry up and make it.
on 19 November 2014
So much better than vampire diaries. there is no teen drama just a good story with fantastic actors.
on 29 November 2014
This review (and the 3 star rating) is just about the Blu-Ray version, not the content of this very cool series!
Since so far nobody else seems to have commented on it yet, I thought I'd be the first to venture an opinion ;-)

Ok, image quality is excellent if (and this is a big IF) the scenes are well lit. Unfortunately, the dark nature of the series obviously doesn't leave much room for a lot of sunshine. Consequently, many scenes are shot at night (or at least supposed to take place at night (=>camera filters...)) or somewhere dark (tombs, cellars, churches, attics....). And all of these dark scenes are pretty grainy. I didn't notice this much noise in the DVD version, but perhaps it was just too blurry to see ;-)
And I'm pretty sure that the grain is not there for "artistic" reasons as one can see block artefacts during fast forwarding.

Sound is good - probably... Sorry, I don't have a special sound system, so I can only guess ;-)

Well, my recommendation is to think well whether a few nicely lit scenes are truly worth the extra money on the Blu-Ray...
If you're a die-hard fan then probably yes, otherwise just stick with the DVD version.
on 20 May 2015
After running out of episodes Vampire Diaries to watch and looking for something just as brilliant to watch, I was thrilled to stumble across this series! It took me 2-3 episodes to get into it, but once I was hooked I wouldn't stop watching. Such a gripping story with amazing characters, watched all 22 episodes in a week and an eagerly awaiting season 2! It was great to watch the characters, especially Klaus, grow as the series progressed. If you're looking for something to satisfying your vampire cravings but a series a little more brutal that Vampire Diaries, order this now - you won't regret it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse