4.0 out of 5 stars Must see for TVD fans
I am a huge Vampire Diaries fan so I had to watch this, particularly as I had come to like Rebekah, Klaus and Elijah so much and was quite sad they would be leaving. After watching the back door pilot in the 4th season of TVD, I was hopeful this would be a great addition.
Published 20 months ago by mummy spoon

This review (and the 3 star rating) is just about the Blu-Ray version, not the content of this very cool series!
Since so far nobody else seems to have commented on it yet, I thought I'd be the first to venture an opinion ;-)

Published 7 months ago by Headlong

4.0 out of 5 stars Must see for TVD fans, 4 Nov. 2013
mummy spoon (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Originals - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
We are 5 episodes in now and I am loving it, it's quite a different tone to the vampire diaries but it really suits the characters and the setting of New Orleans .The storylines are exciting and the new characters are interesting, my only hope is that we see plenty of TVD crossovers to keep things still tied in, I can't wait to see where this goes and hope there will be many more seasons to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great show. Started watching it as I watched The ..., 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Originals - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
A really great show. Started watching it as I watched The Vampire Diaries, but after the first season it's easy to say that The Originals has surpassed TVD for me. I look forward to future seasons and where the show will go.
The characters of Klaus and Elijah are what make this show, and the actors are top class.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray not much better than DVD release, dark scenes are too grainy, 29 Nov. 2014

Ok, image quality is excellent if (and this is a big IF) the scenes are well lit. Unfortunately, the dark nature of the series obviously doesn't leave much room for a lot of sunshine. Consequently, many scenes are shot at night (or at least supposed to take place at night (=>camera filters...)) or somewhere dark (tombs, cellars, churches, attics....). And all of these dark scenes are pretty grainy. I didn't notice this much noise in the DVD version, but perhaps it was just too blurry to see ;-)
And I'm pretty sure that the grain is not there for "artistic" reasons as one can see block artefacts during fast forwarding.

Sound is good - probably... Sorry, I don't have a special sound system, so I can only guess ;-)

Well, my recommendation is to think well whether a few nicely lit scenes are truly worth the extra money on the Blu-Ray...
If you're a die-hard fan then probably yes, otherwise just stick with the DVD version.

4.0 out of 5 stars SCORES TO SETTLE - GORE GUARANTEED, 27 Mar. 2015
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Originals - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
The very first vampires, now about a thousand years old. Dysfunctional siblings Elijah, Klaus and Rebekah have returned to New Orleans, which they founded three centuries ago. Marcel, Klaus' protege, rules and will not be dislodged. Let battle commence, all to be complicated by scary witches and disgruntled werewolves. Meanwhile the Three's ruthless father is on their trail, determined to track down and destroy Klaus, the hybrid abomination....

This "The Vampire Diaries" spin-off has much going for it, boosted by an already firmly established fan base. Again there are the high production values, dramatic special effects, and more than enough action to satisfy addicts of the genre.

Some, though, may feel the siblings themselves should have far more substance with so many centuries of experience behind them. Elijah (Daniel Gillies) has a certain authority and presence, but seems incredibly naive, motivated by the hope they can again be as united and happy as when they were children. Not a chance! Klaus (Joseph Morgan) is the black sheep, notorious for carnage wherever he goes. Disregarding that aspect, his general attitude resembles that of a petty crook in a crime series - aim to give cops grief. Rebekah (Claire Holt) also seems more like a shallow product of our age, rather than one who has been through so much. Check out Episode 16, which perhaps best reveals their strengths and limitations.

Complicated plots, ever-changing allegiances, hidden agendas with neck snapping, heart plucking amongst methods used to despatch - all are part of the fun. The fact Klaus is to be a father adds to interest, especially as many vow the baby shall not live. New Orleans comes over so evocatively, it could be hailed as the show's star. Many may feel Charles Michael Davies as Marcel comes a close second, he with charisma in abundance.

22 episodes. Bonuses include interesting background details, especially on how the vampires came to be. Two Question and Answer sessions are marred by hysterical screeching from what seems mainly a young female audience.

Despite certain reservations on this occasion, by the next season I hope to be as enthusiastic as other fans.

(By the way, in passing, one member of the cast jokingly referred to "VAMPIRATES". Goodness, now there is a thought!)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... this as well now clause = Joseph Morgan is good at being bad I reccomened this to vampire and ..., 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Originals - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I bought this having watched vampire diares from the start and I am hooked on this as well now clause = Joseph Morgan is good at being bad I reccomened this to vampire and werewolf fans top quality

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes you sad for the bully and get annoyed by the goody, 8 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Originals - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Not just you standard vampire story. Characters have depth and family values are paramount. It makes you sad for the bully and get annoyed by the goody. Lots of blood (well it is a vampire movie!) , but lots of interesting and unexpected twists and turns. Witches and Werewolves all living in New Orleans ... who knew?! Hooked by end of episode 1, want more after episode 22. A great value buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is far better than Vampire Diaries, 20 Feb. 2015
S. DOLTON (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Originals - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
This is far better than Vampire Diaries, although did take a couple of episodes to get me hooked. Can't wait until I see season two.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Originals - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Better than I imagined,better than the vampire diaries,cant wait to get my hands on season two.hurry up and make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 30 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Originals - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I have watched vampire diaries & enjoyed it,what my partner & I found interesting is it carries on a story of in depth in which you may of thought parts were missing from vd, its filling in missing gaps of the series. But its not identical too vd it has its own storyline that you get hooked into, wars:lust:family problems. Im watching season2 at the minute on syfy & enjoying it as much as I did the first. Lots of potential in this spin off!

5.0 out of 5 stars We were not disappointed with The Originals series 1, 9 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Originals - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
The Originals -Season 1. We were not disappointed with The Originals series 1, it is a nice to know we have another good series to watch now that The Vampire Diaries is coming to an end after. I believe series 7 will be the last. The Originals is well worth watching. We cannot wait for series 2 to come out on DVD.

The Originals - Season 1 [DVD] [2014]
The Originals - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] by Joseph Morgan (DVD - 2014)