3.7 out of 5 stars2,372
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 22 June 2016
Having heard all the hype on its theatrical release, I went to see Gravity (in 3D). Usually I emerge from the cinema buoyed up and inspired, but this time I was disappointed and puzzled. Puzzled as to why this film had got such great reviews (and Oscars, to boot!). Some time later I saw it on special offer on Bluray 3D, so decided to have another look to see if it would maybe grab me 2nd time around (as Prometheus did). However, it simply resurrected and reinforced the reasons i disliked it in the first place.

There are numerous things which got my goat, for example:

1) The dialogue is toe-curlingly bad. The conversations with Mission Control are almost entirely casual chit-chat and wise-cracks, with barely a mention of anything technical or relevant to the mission.

2) Bullock disobeys an order to return to the craft, despite knowing that a huge storm of deadly debris is approaching, because she wants to finish repairing the satellite. Is she a complete idiot?

2) When Clooney is towing Bullock as she is running out of oxygen, he suggests she start singing to relax her. I'm pretty sure singing uses much more oxygen than talking or being silent, so what on earth (sorry, in space!) is he up to?

3) When disaster strikes, one minute both of them are bouncing wildly back and forth on the cables, and next minute George Clooney drifts off in a straight line, despite being yanked in the opposite direction. And he immediately throws in the towel seemingly without a care in the world! Then Bullock, knowing she has run out of oxygen, nevertheless potters about, seemingly in no hurry to return to the craft, despite facing imminent death. It just doesn't make sense.

4) I was hoping that the 3D wow factor would elevate this film (as it did for me with Prometheus's stunning effects), but the third dimension was not particularly strong or well implemented, so it failed to impress.

5) Finally, and this is a little bit nit-picking I know, but why is the film called Gravity when it is set in near zero-G? Is it because Zero G is already a novel and they couldn't get the rights to the name?

I will be selling this disc or donating to charity, and looking for my SF 3D kicks elsewhere!
on 14 June 2016
What a mistake buying this. I agree with all the criticism regarding the blatantly unrealistic physics (the effects are wrong), very poor story, appalling acting from S.Bullock in particular and stupid representation(s) of Nasa personnel/other orbiting stations and international behavior in causing the problems faced in general. This was much worse than boring. I am embarrased to take it to the charity shop!!
on 23 May 2016
Best director how?!? This film was boring stopped watching after nearly an hour couldn't watch the rest of it. Got fed up of Sandra Bullock's character, wish she had just died at the start would of saved me an hour.
on 11 February 2016
The visual effects are amazing, but the 'background' music is deafening and in places completely swamps the actors' voices. The story line is realistic to start with (space debris destroying their vehicle) but then becomes pure fantasy. I won't bother watching it again.
on 6 January 2016
I was somewhat disappointed with the storyline, but the special effects are most spectacular, Sandra Bullock and George Clooney
star in this nail-biting drama in earth-orbit. Leaves food for thought.
on 3 May 2016
Mind-crushingly awful... I can't believe I watched as long as I did - I suppose it was the great camera work and effects, but they don't make a movie and when she did the 'eeny meeny miny moe' bit in the Chinese space station I was like "okay, that's it, no more, this is just THE WORST" and I pulled the pin. So I have no idea what happened at the end but I hope they both died sad lonely deaths because I nearly did watching this drivel...
on 21 June 2016
Ok so the physics are a little wonky in places, some of the acting is so so and traveling in space i'm sure is a lot harder than this portrays. But the cinematography is gorgeous, the effects are great, the story is pacey and exciting. I wasn't asking it to be a science documentary i wanted a diverting enjoyable action film and it didn't disappoint. People giving bad reviews for scientific inaccuracies need to learn to suspend their disbelief a little better.
on 12 November 2013
Went to see this movie the other night on impulse and without knowing anything at all. Not a huge fan of either of the leads but for some reason i just had this idea in my head that it would be worth it. I had no idea what i was in for but i treated myself to an IMAX ticket. I sat down and got comfly with some popcorn...

The start sequence is so amazing and probably one of the only place for you go grab a breath before all hell breaks loose, literally. By the time the movie was over i had not even touched my pop corn and had almost torn the arm of the chair from the tension. My heart was racing but i was smiling my head off and wanted to watch it all over again. I could have watched another 5 hours of this movie yet it was perfect the length it is.

I am simply dazzled and amazed by the work that went in by everyone involved in making this, there were no short cuts or cheap shots. the acting is beyond the call of duty and must have been such a mind job. Bullock is outstanding and deserves a massive reward for her performance. Clooney just stole my heart from the beginning and fit into his role nice and snug.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and treat yourself to watching this superb movie with a huge screen and roaring sound that shakes the ground. I am most certainly going to see this again. Then im getting the bluray.
4040 comments|280 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 February 2016
Great visuals, but that's where the budget went mostly leaving around £2.20 and half a box of donuts for the script writers to come up with a plot and dialogue to fill the space the lovely images take up. Its a story that could be told in about 30 minutes max, but its spread out for what feels like a lifetime instead. I can't say much more without spoiling the plot - such is the thinness of the plot saying anything about the film would give something key away.

I know lots of people rave about this, and it is pleasant enough eye candy in places, but overall, I was bored. And then hungry. And then bored and hungry so was pleased when it finished and I could go and have some toast.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 February 2016
VIDEO (2D):

Gravity blasts onto blu-ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 2.40:1 encode. The transfer is pristine and eye-popping. Colour and contrast are flawless, with excellent saturation, lifelike skin tones, deep black levels and terrific shadow delineation. Detail is remarkably well-resolved too, with crisp, clean edge definition, wonderfully revealing fine textures and stunning close-ups, like the pinpoint stars, the hairs on Bullock's neck or the rough stubble on Clooney's chin, the fingerprints, smudges, dust and scratches on the space suit visors, the age and weathering on the metal tools and tethers Stone and Kowalski have to work with, plus the thousands and thousands of pieces of debris hurtling around the Earth. This is a first-class transfer. (5/5)

VIDEO (3D):

The 1080p MVC 3D picture was overseen by Richard Baker of Prime Focus Film and scanned by 4DMAX, Lightstage LLC, and XYZ RGB. Gravity was theatrically shown in D-Cinema 3D and in 70-mm blow up (dual-strip 3D) in IMAX® Theatres. While the 3D IMAX experience was breathtaking, this 3D blu-ray experience in the home captures the full visual scope and scale of space/earth with the exceptional depth perspective presented by the native 3D photography. The added dimension of depth and volume dramatically enhances the realism. The floating perspective relative to Earth is spectacular, and when the destroyed satellite debris field hammers the space shuttle and escape pod sequences, both the negative parallax depth and positive parallax out-of-screen effect is adrenaline-inducing. Resolution is exceptional, with fine detail exhibited throughout. The colour palette is perfectly natural and well balanced with deep blacks and revealing shadow delineation. With the video filling my entire 12 foot wide screen and the new Oppo 103D 3D blu ray playerwith the new Darbee video chip, the final combined result is simply a heavenly experience. (5+/5)

AUDIO:

Warner’s DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio lossless track is just as outstanding. The film's sound design plays a significant role in the experience and it is incredibly effective in the home theater environment. The eerie silence of space is punctuated by breathing, the smallest movements, vibrations traveling through space suits, static-laden NASA communication and other subtleties, all presented here impeccably. Directionality is perfectly precise. Dialogue is intelligible and credibly prioritized from beginning to end. This is a truly reference-quality soundtrack that delivers heart-pounding and emotionally charged excitement. (5/5)

TRIVIA:

Gravity has an estimated budget of $100 million, but has a worldwide gross of $703 million, placing it right behind the new champion Frozen ($981 million), Despicable Me 2 ($970 million) and The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug ($893 million) and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($827 million) for the year 2013.

AWARDS:

Gravity is nominated for 10 Oscars and won 7: Best Director (Alfonso Cuaron), Best Cinematography (Emmanuel Lubezki), Best Film Editing, Best Original Score (Steven Price), Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing and Best Visual Effects. Best Picture, Best Actress (Sandra Bullock) and Best Production Design was nominated but did not win.

NEGATIVE POINT: PACKAGING:

With such an important release, I would expect Warner to put each disc in its own flipcase, like those elegantly done in Smurfs 2 3D blu-ray set. Now instead, the 3D blu-ray disc is stacked on top of the regular blu-ray disc. Not classy at all. The front cover does have a lenticular 3D image that is nicely done.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Gravity is a roller coaster cinema at its best. One immediately gets sucked into the story. I love that sense of isolation, of people thematically learning to let go, of people fighting to live. Gravity is an exercise in abject terror, tension, and release. Sandra Bullock is the star and soul of the movie. Technically, Gravity is a masterpiece. The visual effects are pretty incredible. Gravity is one of my favourite cinematic experiences of the last few years, thanks to tight scripting, bold filmmaking, and master craftsmanship. The 3D version, giving us that window into another world or out of this world feeling, is definitely preferred, although the 2D version is also top-notched. I would give this set, especially 3D, my highest recommendation, and is a MUST-OWN!