1,226 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Hanging on for dear life
Published 11 months ago by Antenna

3.0 out of 5 stars Love Screen Spectacle? You'll Love This!
Alfonso Cuaron's jeopardy thriller stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as two astronauts who face a stark battle for survival when catastrophe overwhelms their orbiting space station.
Fans of big screen special effects and spectacle will love this. Visually it is absolutely dazzling; a milestone of technical excellence.
For me however, the film falls down...
Published 9 days ago by DavyG

4.0 out of 5 stars Hanging on for dear life, 21 Nov 2013
Antenna (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This technically brilliant film contains beautiful shots of the earth viewed from space, there are some tense moments as the two space workers (Clooney and Bullock) struggle to survive when they find themselves stranded after a disaster not of their making and it is intriguing to watch them floating about surrounded by a motley collection of objects and dealing with weightlessness in a matter of fact way, at least until calamity strikes. As with most adventure films, the desire to create ever more exciting situations sends plausibility spinning into the outer galaxies and it is probably an advantage to be ignorant of some of the basic laws of physics. At the end, despite the ludicrous twists, the film succeeds in leaving you with a sobering sense of mortality combined with the strengh of the will to survive.

"Gravity" is definitely greatly enhanced if seen on a large screen in 3D.

5.0 out of 5 stars talk about the worst first mission ever, 12 Nov 2013
Went to see this movie the other night on impulse and without knowing anything at all. Not a huge fan of either of the leads but for some reason i just had this idea in my head that it would be worth it. I had no idea what i was in for but i treated myself to an IMAX ticket. I sat down and got comfly with some popcorn...

The start sequence is so amazing and probably one of the only place for you go grab a breath before all hell breaks loose, literally. By the time the movie was over i had not even touched my pop corn and had almost torn the arm of the chair from the tension. My heart was racing but i was smiling my head off and wanted to watch it all over again. I could have watched another 5 hours of this movie yet it was perfect the length it is.

I am simply dazzled and amazed by the work that went in by everyone involved in making this, there were no short cuts or cheap shots. the acting is beyond the call of duty and must have been such a mind job. Bullock is outstanding and deserves a massive reward for her performance. Clooney just stole my heart from the beginning and fit into his role nice and snug.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and treat yourself to watching this superb movie with a huge screen and roaring sound that shakes the ground. I am most certainly going to see this again. Then im getting the bluray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best space film ever done, proving that out there nobody can hear you scream - VERY literally!, 11 Nov 2013
Darth Maciek "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is an AMAZING film, which I enjoyed greatly! This review includes very LIMITED SPOILERS.

At 90 minutes this space drama is a rather short film - but it packs much more tension, drama, scares and adventures than many two hours and a half action films. Only two actors really appear in it - three other people show themselves extremely briefly and elusively and there are also some voices on the radio and that is all. But those two actors are in fact exactly as much as this film needs and limiting the numbers was an excellent idea!

Almost all action takes place in space and a great effort was made to give this film a feeling of reality - especially the absence of sound in space is strictly respected, with muffled noises being heard only when one of the heroes holds some metal and hits other metal with it (metal, unlike void, conducts sound, even in space). One could think that it will hurt the film - but one would be VERY WRONG! It is actually exactly the contrary!

The rhythm of the film is very fast - an emergency occurs very early in the beginning and then all hell breaks loose and it continues until the incredibly dramatic, grandiose finale, with only brief pauses to catch breath. In the cinema where I saw this film, most people abandoned all attempts to munch after five minutes - me included. And I really like my popcorn...

This is NOT a sci-fi movie! The technology shown in this film really exists and purely in theory such a thing could really happen. Fiction elements were added by keeping the US space shuttle in service (they are all retired now) and by giving it a fictitious name, "Explorer". Real life space shuttles were named respectively "Enterprise" (the prototype, not capable of space flight), "Columbia", "Challenger", "Discovery", "Atlantis" and "Endeavour" - there never was a shuttle named "Explorer", but the name sounds like one a real shuttle could bear. Another fiction element is the presence of the Chinese space station "Tiangong", which is already fully operational, when in real life its construction should start only in 2020. BUT, the technology seen in this film is all there and there is no aliens, there is no mysterious forces, etc. - of course it is an adventure made in Hollywood, but in its nuts and bolts this movie is very realistic.

Both Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are excellent in this film. In fact I believe Ms Bullock deserves at least an Oscar nomination for this role. Clooney's character offers him a little less opportunities to shine, but he does it nevertheless!

I usually do not like 3D AT ALL, but in this film it actually adds a LOT! I advise strongly to go see this film on a big screen AND IN 3D, as long as it still plays in theatres! I will probably buy the Blu-ray version as soon as it is available, because here every pixel counts, but still, on a smaller screen and without a good 3D "Gravity" will lose part of its firepower.

Bottom line, this is an AMAZING, GREAT film which I loved in cinema and I absolutely want to re-watch it again. And again. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it...., 31 Mar 2014
PF Cope "Pamandlawrence" (Staffordshire, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Despite the pre release plaudits for Gravity, I approached this movie without any preconceptions although I must say that I considered cancelling the order following some of the negative reviews on Amazon...I am glad that I didn't.
I found the film quite fascinating. It's not an action or adventure but more of an intense survival roller coaster that had me hooked from start to finish. Yes I will agree that the script appears weak but in the overall concept I believe that is what was intended. The film is short but again, there is only so much you could do with two primary actors and while dialogue was typical Americana, Sandra Bullock played her roll well.
The picture quality in 3D is outstanding as are the CGI effects and the soundtrack is commensurate with the film type.
There are a number of scientific inaccuracies in the film but I didn't buy it for a science lesson. If you want a sci fi action movie then this will not appeal, if you want something a little different, give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A TENSE MOVIE EXPIERIENCE', 4 Mar 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A Film almost five years in the making of.
Special effects perfection an absolute minimum requirement.
(The special features on board essential viewing)
'Explorer' on the final day of it's mission is hit by space debris from a
satellite that has been destroyed to advert the risks involved with
large pieces of debris falling to earth.
The Shuttle has catastrophic damage, other than 'Dr Ryan Stone'
(Sandra Bullock) and 'Matt Kowalski' (George Clooney) all other crew
members have perished.
The two survivors now have to try and reach the 'Space Station' to use
as a go between in the hope of eventually reaching the 'Chinese Station'
to board an escape pod.
'Matt' and 'Ryan' become separated as they reach the first objective.
The tension and problems continue to mount as time after time things
continue to go wrong.
The film is perhaps the most gripping and tense eighty-odd minutes of
drama I've seen for many a day.
An outstanding performance from 'Sandra Bullock'
Superb attention to detail making the film virtual-reality to watch, this a
hi-tech visual-effects spectacle to behold.
A remarkable movie achievement.
(Whether you watch it on 3D-2D or indeed DVD you'll not be disappointed)
There are nearly 3-hours of special features (in 2D) on board.
# Experience the meticulous innovation necessary to create the world of
zero gravity.
# Witness the physical and emotional demands 'Sandra Bullock' endures
on set.
# Journey with 'Alfonso Cuar'on' through four years of filmmaking to forthest
boundries of cinema.
Worthy of the 'Oscars' and 'Bafta's awarded.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love Screen Spectacle? You'll Love This!, 12 Oct 2014
This review is from: Gravity [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
For me however, the film falls down somewhat because inevitably, it becomes the victim of its own plot limitations. Essentially, we have a series of obstacle "set pieces" which the characters have to overcome as they fight to survive. I have to admit that after about an hour or so, as another explosion ripped across the screen, I found myself getting a bit restless and stifling a yawn. In essence, things start to get repetitive, and Bullock's performance also starts to become vaguely irritating.The stunning visuals interested me for so long, but I found myself indifferent to the fate of the protagonists, and failure to engage emotionally with the characters is always a danger sign for me personally where a film's concerned.
"Gravity" didn't quite do it for me, then. I'm glad I saw it, but I can't imagine wanting to sit through it again. Having said that, I can applaud its ambition, and the massive skills which have gone into its production. It's a film which will, I'm sure, delight a lot of people.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 2 Oct 2014
watching this movie is like watching paint dry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CGI, but where's the story?, 29 Jun 2014
JBV "JBV^_^" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gravity (Blu-ray)
I think the title says it all.

Lots of action, great looking graphics, but less a film as an extended cut-scene from a game. One which lasts 1 and a half hours!

If you want to watch what happens in space when a screw hits a space craft, watch the anime "Planetes" (ASIN: B004QB8TG6) instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 10 Oct 2014
maximus (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
was apprehensive of watching this at home having enjoyed the movie so much In 3D at the cinema. I am happy to report that I enjoyed it every bit as much as before and the 3D Blu Ray quality is outstanding even on relatively modest 40inch Samsung TV. Sure, it's not as all enveloping as on the big screen but the tension is there, and the awesome simulated visuals of flailing ISS and space shuttle are quite awesome. Superb soundtrack.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch it in 3d., 2 Oct 2014
The 3d in this movie looks amazing, in almost every scene you see the 3d is jaw dropping. I found myself gasping for air thinking I was in space myself in parts of gravity, however the film it's self is average. It has it's moments, but for me this film would be utterly forgettable without 3d verging on boring. I wont go into scene by scene, but basically it has Sandra Bullock trying to survive one disaster after another.

If you have the right setup for 3d, pop on your 3d specs and sit bk and enjoy the ride, however if you don't, I'd give gravity a miss.

Gravity [DVD] [2013]
Gravity [DVD] [2013] by Alfonso Cuaron (DVD - 2014)