2,483 Reviews
 (1,711)

5.0 out of 5 stars EXTENDED EDITION: BLU-RAY STEEL-BOOK.
As usual with my reviews, I will limit my comments to the product advertised, in this case the steel-book limited edition blu-ray of the extended version of The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey. Hopefully helping you to make the decision on whether the extended cut of the film is really worth the expenditure, especially if you, like me, already have the theatrical cut. I...
Published 13 months ago by J. Blakemore

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the book
Peter Jackson, has done it again by managing to wreck another of Tolkien's story's. How can you make the book which only takes a couple of hours to read last nearly 9 hours in cinema time. The effects are brilliant, but we have seen it all before in Lord of the Rings.
Published 5 months ago by I. Pm Phillips

‹ Previous | 1190 191 192249 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Hopefull, 17 April 2013
Yes hopeful in as much as it is as good as the Lord of The Rings Trilogy, it has not yet been watched as it was purchased as a present yet to be given.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 17 April 2013
What a great film saw it at the flicks, but missed so much of it, well worth buying cant wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hobbit Blu-Ray, 16 April 2013
bill (england UK) - See all my reviews
Wow, this is an amazing film, in fact the Blu-ray version on a good TV is better than the 3d version on the cinema, same feel as the excellent Jackson Lotr films, and thats coming from a life long fan of Tolkien's works, role on the next one

2.0 out of 5 stars Film is great, UV copy is an absolute stinker, 16 April 2013
K. Boatman (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
First of all I loved this film and all of the LOTR films. I was surprised by this film in the fact that it didn't seem too stretched out considering they decided to milk the 1 book into 3 films. I would happily give the film 5 stars.

However, as I'm viewing the product itself it has massively been let down by the UV (b... s...) copy that comes along with it.

I loved having digital copies of films and in the past when UV was first on the up, films that came with a UV copy I actually got a copy that I could use via any application I wanted (well that would support the codec the copy was in). However, UV and Flixster have really screwed the whole "digital" (though I would not wantingly call theirs digital) copy of this, and no doubt countless others, film.

Firstly, they force you to sign up for two, yes two, accounts. Once UV and once Flixster. Then secondly you can only download it to your PC via the Flixster application, then if you want if on a tablet you have to download the associate app and then download it via the app too. So for this film to be on PC and iPad = 2 x 2.7GB download, thankfully I', on unlimited.

And to only compound the issue further, the copy you download from them is only SD. So I've paid the extra for the Blu Ray format then to only be given an SD UV copy what utter tripe, bordering on misselling!!!

Suffice it to say UV/Flixster I've only downloaded one film from you.....and it will only ever be one.

I'm not an Apple fan boy, but I must say that I'm tempted just to buy the HD copy from iTunes from now rather than Blu Ray+UV on as
1. I'm guaranteed on the quality of the format
2. It'll probably work out cheaper
3. If I want in on Blu Ray / DVD I can then to choose to convert/burn it myself.

Once again, love the film just not the product/digital provider.

5.0 out of 5 stars ? im not sure?, 15 April 2013
if like me you read tolkein books as a child and fell in love with his magical world and fantastic creatures etc etc you might as i did find this a little bit weird, some artistic licence has been taken with the story line and doesnt some how feel quite right , but if you take it just as a great fantasy film and watch it, its fantastic, great visual effects and good acting, but if you think its the same as the book you will be disapointed. just treat it as a great action fantasy film and your be ok, i hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 April 2013
Simple the best , a great film. First class delivery and quality.So pleased that this film is as good as the other Lord of the Ring films. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very ambitious prequel that hits all the high notes, 15 April 2013
AleksFili (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
Most film-goers remember good old Bilbo Baggins who was seen in the Fellowship of the Ring. Remember all those stories he told to his relatives and to Frodo? Well this is his complete story. This is the film based on the wonderful book by J.R.R Tolkien and features all the characters from the book. As the film is considered an expansion there are additional characters and extra scenes for the benefit of the viewers.

It's safe to say that since this is set 60 years before Lord of the Rings, you will not see many returning characters with the exception of those with exceptionally long life (in particular the Elves). Gandalf the Grey makes his first appearance here and the character does a great job to help the companions travel to the Lonely Mountain. Also returning are characters Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman and Gollum. You also get to learn a lot more about the Dwarves and the city Erebor. You get to meet Balin and also Gloin (who is Gimli's father). There are a total of thirteen dwarves and they all have different traits and personalities. Of particular note is Thorin Oakenshield who is of royal lineage and is the heir to the Dwarven city where Smaug the dragon resides.

Overall this is a smashing film and is great both in terms of story and visual effects. A true masterpiece!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the film but the ultraviolet/flixster download is useless, 14 April 2013
Amazon Customer "amfoster13" (Maidenhead, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Others have said a lot about the film so I'll just say I loved it for what it is and more so each time I watch the DVD.
What I dislike is the ultraviolet/flixster download system. First, the card with the redemption code states that flixster is compatable with iPhones and iPads, but the small print on the download site says its not compatable with iTunes so how does one transfer the film to Apple devices ?.
Attempts to access the flixster website throw up a message stating that Internet Explorer has blocked the site because of security certifictae errors. Clicking "show content" just recycles the page and the message, repeatedly.
Using the rediculously long url on the redemption code card takes one to ultraviolet, attempts to set up an account repeatedly fail. The "live chat" help on the site is useless, doesn't seem to manned. As usual FAQ's are useless.
My email was automatically included in the sign up page, how ? Thinking I might have previously signed up I requested a password reminder, couldn't be processed for some reason.
Frankly, I now feel that I have wasted a lot of time and patience trying to access this download and although I am sure there must be people who have succeded, I am equally sure there must be many who will not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 13 April 2013
Having seen the film in the cinema I couldn't wait to purchase the DVD as soon as it was available. The Hobbit is an excellent film full of humour, tension, battles and adventure. Gandalf once again guides the unexpected hero on his unexpected journey. A good film for the whole family.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth the long wait!, 13 April 2013
The scenery in this film alone would have made it worth watching. Love this film, made me laugh in some places and cry at others. Can't wait for the second part.

‹ Previous | 1190 191 192249 | Next ›