5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the price!!
We bought a new HD TV at a great price, but the sound wasn't great, this was a great addition and the price of these can be staggering, we bought this for £49 and free delivery, it has made a huge difference the model we got also had Bluetooth syncing our mobiles was easy so we can to music from our phones and devices ...... can't understand the negative reviews its fab
Published 5 months ago by Helen Joy

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent BT speaker, with limited TV capabilities
I took a gamble and bought this without reading any reviews. As I couldn't find any, so thought I'd do a good deed and write one.

Another reason I bought this was it fit exactly into the space in my bedroom that I wanted to mount it in. Otherwise, I would have chosen a better option and paid the extra.

As a Bluetooth speaker this performs pretty...
Published 20 months ago by Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the price!!, 8 Jan. 2015
Helen Joy "angel7" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodmans GDSB04BT50 50W 2.1 Speaker Bar Theatre System (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars good sound for the price, 12 May 2014
Can't grumble about this sound-bar, great sound, great design, Bigger than expected which is obviously a plus!!! i recommend this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound for the price, but limited functions, crappy remote, 18 Sept. 2014
Decided to try this soundbar after needing something to improve my TV's horrid speakers (I have a 42" HD Samsung). This sound bar has very good sound clarity, dramatic difference from the TV. Bass seems quite good considering the tiny subwoofer (not going to blow you away, but a lot better again than the TV speakers).

As for the downside of this soundbar- there are only two physical inputs: 1) the red/white audio and 2) line in [ie stereo jack]. There is no Optical connection if you are looking for it. Also both connections are on the right hand side of the bar- for me this is bad as all my TV's connections are on the left side. That said, the soundbar does come with the red/white cord and a line-in cord both about 1.5 m long- so they did reach the back side of the TV, but who needs to have that much extra cable to deal with-- plus if you want to put the speaker further away, this means more cable is needed.

It also has Bluetooth which works well-- so far my phone, ipad, and computer have paired easily and sound good.

As for the remote- this is the part I hate. It's tiny and crappy. You can lose it quickly and probably will. Because of this, it was the final push for me to get a universal remote. The problem, no one has goodmans functions pre-programed for this remote. You'll have to teach it, which means you have to keep this tiny thing around in-case some functions weren't learned properly (like bluetooth and switching inputs). This leads into the functions of the sound bar.

They are limited. It comes with 3 presets: Voice, Music, and Movie. You can go custom but as soon as you change the treble or bass it resets itself to the lowest levels of each and you begin from scratch each time [it will remember what you leave it at, but no way to save those levels]. Also the changes aren't your normal tiny baby step increments. Each change is a step- so there is no fine tuning for volume, treble, or bass.

The last odd thing is the switching of inputs- it just is strange how it works with the buttons, but once you are use to it and can remember which colour light goes with which input you'll be fine.

Overall it's a good product for its price, but it is far from a great soundbar. So yes, if you are looking for a 'cheap' soundbar, you will do fine with this (comes with everything you need in the box to function right away- no extras to buy), but don't think this is a choice for a great sound system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slight initial problem but wow!, great sound for what we need., 8 April 2015
"Buyers beware if you own a Samsung 43" Plasma TV Model number PS43F4500AW. Did not work on the red and white audio connections on my TV. There is no jack for headphones on this TV. Had to buy a Proster DAC Digital SPDIF Toslink to Analog Analogue Left/ Right RCA L/R R/L RCA AV Audio Converter Adapter £12.99 on Amazon. Powered it via TV`s USB and it works a treat."

5.0 out of 5 stars Barooom!, 28 Jan. 2015
For the money this 50w bar is really good. Improves the sound of my flat screen TV to a much more realistic and enjoyable experience than before. It's quite long and I found it difficult to find where to mount it, especially as it would hide the remote eye on the TV if mounted in front of it. In the end I hung it from the shelf of the TV stand using double sided Velcro tape wrapped around either end of the unit and the back supports of the shelf. So it now hangs below the top shelf instead of sitting on the lower shelf.
FIY the remote on the unit itself is on the far right hand side of the bar (as you look at it) , at the top.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent BT speaker, with limited TV capabilities, 4 Nov. 2013

As a Bluetooth speaker this performs pretty well. It sounds great for the money. The only obvious downsides, and these apply whatever mode the unit is in, is the volume change increment is not very refined. For example, from no volume at all, one press of Vol+ provides a nice volume for the 5 x 3 metre bedroom I use this in. Another press is loud but still ok, and another press I think my neighbours (who share the wall this is mounted on) might be disturbed. But setting it to a level where I can watch TV but my wife wants to sleep, isn't really achievable.
And, in it's lowest setting, my unit seems to auto-power down, a power saving feature, every 5 minutes.

One criticism of the BT capabilities, is it doesn't appear to have memory of any more devices than the last one that was attached. Fine if you intend to use this with the same BT device all or most of the time, but inconvenient if not. BT pairing, thankfully, isn't the long drawn out process that it used to be, but most devices like this do usually remember 8 or so previously paired devices.
Another feature you might expect to find that is also not on this unit, is the ability to pause/play, skip between tracks etc, in BT mode. No provision exists for this in this product. Not really a criticism, just something to be aware of.
A few tests I did seem to indicate that this unit is probably unsuitable for such things as watching video on a device, while the audio track is played through the speaker via Bluetooth, as the audio track seems to experience delay symptomatic of some of the earlier BT profiles. This, of course, doesn't affect wired connection, but again, something to be aware of depending upon how you intend to use a device like this.

As a TV speaker, this is an upgrade from built in TV speakers, but don't expect any virtual surround field processing, fancy DSP logic or even any type of version of something like Dolby Pro-logic. This is just stereo TV speakers. If you think of it in that way, then you'll avoid some disappointment. This isn't cinema surround, and doesn't ever claim to be, but many people viewing similar products on the market might just assume it is.

And the "Theatre" description in the title here, correct at time of writing, seems to imply this too. When reviewing my review, they might look into this and consider revising it to avoid disappointment.

All physical inputs are analogue. But that's to be expected as there's no 5.1 type processing. And both R/L RCA phono lead and 3.5 jack lead are included. Not of any quality, but they'll get you running and let you decide if you want to upgrade these.

Build quality seems fine. The brackets and fixings for the wall couldn't really be any better and the small remote has everything you need on it. Including bass/treble and pre-sets for music, voice and movie.

Overall not bad if you don't expect too much. But I can feel an upgrade coming already. And this will likely become speakers for my PC instead. The speakers are the best part of the whole thing, which are adequate and perform well for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bass response, 14 Nov. 2014
A vast improvement on the sound delivered by the TV. Everything sounds clearer. Good bass response.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodmans sound bar, 10 Feb. 2015
My wife and myself have been delighted with this purchase. We bought it to go with a new t.v. It makes speech much easier to hear, as the modern way of acting seems to be mumbling your lines. Easy to install, great sound. Music is great, films sound just like going to the pictures. A great boon for the elderly as well as the young. For the price, the best thing we have bought for ages. It may not be the best on the market, it is after all the only one we have tried but the price lured us in as well as Goodmans name . Just look at the price of some of these things and tell me this is not value for money. It certainly suits us

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for the price, 12 Aug. 2014
I got more than I was hoping for with this Soundbar. Despite being really fussy when it comes to audio-quality, this budget Soundbar delivers a music listening/movie watching experience which is more than adequate when considering the price you pay for this thing. Don't expect any HDMI capabilities or anything like that, but the bluetooth/audio-in features suit me, personally. A great addition to any room.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor remote control, 19 Aug. 2014
Got this as it was 50W and a built-in sub woofer for bass, and seemed a cheaper alternative to a SONY soundbar. The sound itself is very good. However I have a few observations that give this a low score:

1. The remote control is small and extremely fiddly. The buttons are tiny and hard to use. Often you click a button and it takes the sound bar about 5 seconds to recognise a signal.

2. You need to be directly in front of the sound bar for the remote signal to hit the sound bar

3. There is NO digital audio option, which means you first need to increase the volume on the device feeding into the sound bar and then you can adjust the volume on the sound bar using the remote.

I would not buy this again, but would look for one with a more reliable remote control and preferably, but not necessarily, digital audio option.