5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
This book is a great introduction to microcontrollers. I particularly like it as there is a good accompanying website, and now a free online course on edx.org called "Embedded Systems - Shape the World" that follows the book closely.

Published 9 months ago by Larry

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very Cortex specific
This is 95% general embedded programming content and 5% Cortex related. So if you understand embedded but are looking for Cortex related info (I was) - this is not for you or me. If you are new to embedded and plan to use the M3 you may like it. Also this is very Stellaris / TI / assembler focused - if you're looking at C, NXP etc there is probably a better book for you.
Published 17 months ago by Alan Ambrose

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 27 Mar 2014
Larry (Macclesfield, UK) - See all my reviews

If you are used to using the arduino then that board is great at getting started because it allows a lot to be done relatively easily as a lot of details are hidden. This book goes into a lot more of the details. This is good if you are generally interested in understanding these details or you want to have more control over programming a chip, and you want to be able to do it more efficiently.

It is very practically focussed which I like as I find that it helps me to understand the material better. All the material uses the Texas Instruments TM4C123 series which uses an M4 Arm processor. I guess as part of the practical focus it helps to focus on one chip as more practical details can be covered more effectively. You can buy an evaluation board containing the chip directly from TI and it is also good value.

While the book doesn't cover other chips such as the Atmel series which is what is used in the Arduino I believe that a lot of the ideas transfer over, particularly as you can use the C programming language in both. Obviously details about how to directly address registers etc will be different.

When you put the whole package together: book, free course and website this is a great way to learn about microcontrollers and great value. The course is running from early Feb 2014 to mid May. I am not sure about it's availability beyond this time frame.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very Cortex specific, 19 July 2013
Alan Ambrose (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Embedded Systems (Introduction to Arm\xae Cortex\u2122-M Microcontrollers) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book! Highly recommended!, 3 April 2013
I am more or less hobbyist. I have studied electronics but work in another sphere. I read such books mostly as refresher and it did perfect job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me loads of work, 5 Feb 2013
I recently started work as an Embedded Software Engineer, and after a lifetime of using Intel processors I found Valvano's books on the Cortex M microcontrollers refreshingly clear, amusing and informative; well written, with plenty of examples of different manufacturer's implementations of the core; well illustrated and with plenty of "have you understood what I told you" exercises.

All in all, a highly commendable set of books.