5.0 out of 5 stars lush
Published on 10 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars An odyssey
Felt Mountain is a seminal work by Alison Goldfrapp and Will Gregory. All tracks are strong and could stand alone if necessary. Subsequent albums have become more dance-orientated so if you want what Goldfrapp were really about originally, then this debut album is a must. Alison's haunting vocals are complimented by Will's majesty on synthesizer. Intelligent, tuneful and...
Published on 31 Dec 2009 by R. Paul

5.0 out of 5 stars lush, 10 July 2001
This review is from: Felt Mountain (Audio CD)
It was lucky that when I heard this (samples, off this site) I was listening out for some different music to my usual diet of not very subtle rock or I might not have been so receptive of the extraordinary splicing of two very different styles. As far as I know, bluesy, Billy Holiday-esque vocals have never been splashed across a background of Morricone-esque electronica before. Even more surprising is how wonderfully it works, creating an atmosphere of cool euphoria akin to some of Radiohead's work (I'm thinking Subterranean Homesick Alien or Kid A here). Not surprising considering the supposed main inspiration for O.k Computer was Morricone. Although sometimes the singing occasionally borders on schmaltzy, it never actually crosses that line because of the harsh wall of noise behind it, which offsets the smoothness, providing a balance. Admittedly, on pilots, as some other reviewers have pointed out, it gets a bit thin, but this is really the only criticism I can offer. After only hearing the SAMPLES, I voted it the fifth greatest album of the last fifteen years in a poll Q magazine are running at the moment and spent the next two days agonizing because I had no opportunity to get myself a copy of the album. So now I've got one, yes, it is one of my very favourite albums ( and I have a lot). I would recommend it to everyone, only I'm aware that most so-called lovers of music seem to set themselves fixed musical parameters and aren't open minded enough to embrace anything as unusual as this. Forget the random screaming that, these days, gets called alternative music, this is the real alternative and to like it, an open mind is needed. But then thats true for most of the best music. By the way, it isn't recommended for any recently berieved people. It wouldn't cheer them up, put it that way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cinematic chill-out beauty, 27 Jun 2001
This review is from: Felt Mountain (Audio CD)
What a beautiful recording, and so evocative. The presentation is very pretty indeed and you will be dreaming of snowy forests and mountains before you know it. The lush vocals from Alison Goldfrapp lend the songs a haunting, seductive edge and the music blends electronics, whistling and classical instruments to create a piece of genuine beauty. There is only one track I would choose to skip, but most are brilliant. The best numbers include Lovely Head, Human, Utopia, Paper Bag and Pilots.
One small quibble would be that the production lets it down in places. You want to turn it up loud but the whistling can be a little piercing, so you may find yourself turning down the treble. This is only a minor whinge though and certainly does not detract from the beauty of this record. If you like seductive, cinematic, relaxing music then buy this now.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magnificent soundscape experience!, 19 Dec 2000
This review is from: Felt Mountain (Audio CD)
Having seen the single video release of "Utopia" I went out and purchased this highly anticipated album immediately and was rewarded with a fantastic piece of musical bliss, not unsimilar to 'Hooverphonic" GOLDFRAPP use powerful epic orchestrations mixed with the lush hauntingly beautiful vocals from Alison Goldfrapp and brilliant electronic wizardry from Will Gregory, GOLDFRAPP soar with their mix of rich harmonies , weird french pop sensibilities,violins, wonderful percussion additives and breathtaking whistling (yes its true!) plus much more! standout tracks 'Pilots' 'Paper Bag' and 'Utopia' leave you breathless, all this and GOLDFRAPP obtain an uncanny ability to transport the listener in a utopian world filled with epic vistas,glass waterfalls, blue elephants and eclectic eclectronic brainwashing - surely the 8th wonder of the world, a fantastic debut, if you like water, food and breathing then you will love this album ,a must have and worthy of ****** six stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, sublime, emotive, 20 Feb 2001
This review is from: Felt Mountain (Audio CD)
Bristol has yet another reason to be proud of its musical talent. Comparisons have been made between Goldfrapp and other Bristol-seeded artsists (Tricky, Massive Attack, Portishead). Members of my family still think Iggy Pop sounds like Lou Reed sounds like David Bowie -- and I think it's the same thing going on here: Goldfrapp may come from the same family as their peers...but they look different, they sound different, and they definitely THINK different. As a long-time fan of movie-music maestro Ennio Morricone (he wrote the scores for THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY... ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST... and THE MISSION among many, many others) it's so exciting to find a band that not only openly acknowledges his influence (both Ennio and spaghetti western director Sergio Leone are thanked in the sleeve notes) but use it in such a creative way. (There's nothing wrong with hommage and reference - and if you're gonna steal, steal from the best!) People have heard and commented upon the spectre of the great John Barry in Goldfrapp's work, but the whistling, the string arrangements, the lyric-less vocalisations - they all reach out to Morricone's best work. I was smiling non-stop through the album's title track - FELT MOUNTAIN - which is like a 21st Century companion piece to a track Morricone wrote for Leone's spaghetti western DUCK YOU SUCKER (or A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE)...a perfect match in many respects, and a joy to hear. In the same way, UTOPIA contains elements of Morricone's theme to the French 60s crime thriller THE SICILIAN CLAN, and Alison Goldfraps' vocals share a dream-like quality with Morricone's work alongside 60s Italian chanteuese Verushka. It's great to be reminded that today's artists not only possess profound talent, but also demonstrate exquisite taste!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Sonically potent' and magical, 19 Feb 2006
This review is from: Felt Mountain (Audio CD)
I had never heard of Goldfrapp before their 'Ooh La La' single release, I had heard their name popped around, but never knew exactly who they were. My sister bought me their 3rd album 'Supernature' this Christmas and I really enjoyed their upbeat, disco and dance/electronic sound, I was curious to find out what other albums they had released. I came across this album and read all of the reviews and was captivated just by reading them through, people couldn't explain this albums sound and were mesemerised by it's melodic beauty. I bought this alongside their 2nd release 'Black Cherry' just yesterday and am totally enchanted by the songs and Alison Goldfrapps gorgeous vocals enveloping all of the songs. Stand out tracks for me are: 'Lovely Head, 'Human', 'Pilots' and 'Utopia', the others are also gorgeous, I'll have to give them all another listen and I'm sure they will also become my favourites! It is true what another reviewer has said, you may be scared to try such a different style from what you like, but I'm sure this album could have a place in anyones heart, roll on their 4th album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 8 Feb 2001
This review is from: Felt Mountain (Audio CD)
Just when I was thinking there really was no decent new music around, I saw a very late night TV program featuring Goldfrapp's album - thank goodness I did!
This album is amazing; a unique delight blending lush orchestral soundscapes with meandering gently powerful vocals. There are several outstanding tracks on the album and the rest of pretty good too. The style is difficult to describe, but hints of Portishead, the more atmospheric side of Massive Attack and even the bold authority Shirley Bassey in some kind of Bond soundtrack are evident! The title 'Felt Mountain' somehow describes the feeling of the music most suitably. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I knew I liked it when I heard the samples., 11 Aug 2001
This review is from: Felt Mountain (Audio CD)
This is a hard album to categorise. I know we shouldn't try anyway but when you want to recommend an album to someone they always ask..."so what's it like?" Well this album has bits of blues, dance, jazz, classical.....and probably more but all mixed up together into a beautiful sounding album that makes you want to hear it again. The music is quite haunting in places, and Alison Goldfrapp' voice sounds gorgeous. It's quite original but is somewhere between Beth Gibbons of Portishead and Shirley Bassey. High praise indeed. I only heard about half of the track samples before I knew that I had to buy the CD. If you feel the same, or even if you don't then give the album a try. I'm going to recommend it to all of my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars frankenstein will want your mind, your lovely head!, 8 Oct 2003
This review is from: Felt Mountain (Audio CD)
I bought this album after being in love with follow up 'black cherry' and was very surprised at how different the album was. I knew it would be good after remembering it getting recognition with a mecury music nomination but i didnt expect it to have some of the best mellow music ive ever heard to be on it.
Definately a grower cd, it didnt grab me as much as 'cherry' did upon first listen but i think my persistence paid off as i now appreciate it for what it is. 'Lovely head' is a cracking song with Alison's beautiful whistling alongside Will's haunting music. 'Human' is probably my standout track and almost sounds like a Shirley Bassey Bond theme.
Criticisms?i guess only nine tracks leaves you wanting more but then good job 'black cherry' is out now!

5.0 out of 5 stars The gift of Goldfrapp, 18 Jan 2001
This review is from: Felt Mountain (Audio CD)
If I said that this record was fantastically, tremendously, exceptionally and terrifically brilliant, I really wouldn't be giving it enough credit. Infact it's so good that I've already preordered a bucket load of 'em...a couple to give to my mates on their wedding day, one for my uncle on his retirement, another for my mum and Dad on their 50th anniversary and if I remember I'll have to leave a copy out for Santa come December 24th.
Conceived in a purposefully constructed studio deep in the Wiltshire countryside, Felt Mountain is the product of one time Tricky and Orbital collaborator Alison Goldfrapp and film composer Will Gregory. Obviously drawing heavily upon their musical pasts this debut contains touches of cinematic splendor alongside 60's French pop and post-modern electronica. In parts sounding similar to Mercury Rev at their most experimental and the early work of Air, Felt Mountain is set apart by Alison's hauntingly whispered lyrics conjuring up thoughts of love lost and eerie nonsense.
Debut single, Beautiful Head, with its plainly weird instrumentation and sassy string arrangement sits comfortably beside other tracks Human, a song about disguised androids and the arousing Utopia with its Bond like vibe and orchestral flare-ups.
This really is a beautiful LP; a treasured gift for any occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 9 Jan 2002
This review is from: Felt Mountain (Audio CD)
I first encountered Goldfrapp's music hidden on a compilation album and I fell in love with Utopia. In fact so much, i went and bought the album, which was fantastic - it mixes so many different vocals and mellow beats i just love it, in fact so much, i went and saw them in concert!!! all the wonderful eerie sounds and noises are Alison Goldfrapps voice! it was a truly wonderful experience and made me want to listen to the album all over again. buy it, you wont regret it!

Felt Mountain