on 15 November 2003
I get frustrated when I see "Very Best of" compilations not include all the hits. Missing in action from this example are the splendid I Love Saturday, The Circus, Drama!, Star, Who Needs Love Like That, Am I Right?, Don't Say Your Love is Killing Me, Fingers and Thumbs and this year's top 20 hit Come Up and See Me. I know there is limited space on one CD, so the answer surely would be to release two containing ALL the tracks which is what Joe Public want. I've give this only 2 stars, not for the quality, but for the quantity and selection. Parlophone managed to stuff every Pet Shop Boys hits on a double CD so why couldn't Mute follow suit? It could be yet another predictable record company marketing ploy, in other words what's missing from here is available on Pop! or Boxed Sets. Sad.
on 29 October 2003
The first CD of this pair is a disappointment, same old same old, but do not be put off buying this because the second CD is the best stuff they have produced since Cowboy. They have really hit the mark - at last!
The Megamix CD is fantastic. After Little Respect the pace really picks up and the remixes leave you tingling. The remix of Oh L'Amour is great, in fact any die hard fan, like myself, will love them all!! It's just a shame that the first CD really is just a lesser version of Pop 20 Hits. They have released other good material that should have been included.
For any Erasure fan I highly recommend this simply for the Megamix CD - it's a must have!
on 27 October 2003
OK so this CD does not include all of Erasures classic hits, but it's still LOADED with fantastic tracks, most of my favourites are featured on disc one (with the exception of "You Surround Me")but if you're an Erasure fan you'll have all their albums which include everyone of their singles, so even a complete selection of Erasures singles wouldn't have offered anything new. Thats where the second disc comes in. When I saw the title "ErasureMegamix" I thought I was in for a ten minute track which featured a couple of lines from each of their hits. How wrong I was. This is a full on MegaMix with songs mixed seamlessley in their entirety with each other. It starts off all chilled out with the fantastic Stay With Me, You Surround Me and In My Arms moving onto fresh and poppy Solsbury Hill. Theres no looking back from here, the mix gets better and better as it goes on, with most of the tracks in remixed form that I have never heard before (and I thought I had them all). A Little Respect and Sometimes include new lyrics and you would never have believed that you could have danced to Ship of Fools. The tracks have been revamped and remixed without taking too much of the winning formula from the original versions. I agree that Disc One offers nothing new and "Pop! The First 20 Hits" is a far better round up of Erasures singles, but this limited edition offers the fans that little extra that other artists should consider when releasing a run of the mill hits compilation. Disc Two is worthy of 5 stars on its own. Grab this limited edition while you can.
I love 80's music, and I LOVE Erasure. They are so flamboyant, well Andy Bell is anyway, and what a voice!! Vince Clarke is a favourite of mine, I loved Yazoo, Depeche Mode, so anything that he is involved with is always going to tick my boxes!! I have all the Erasure albums, and The Innocents Concert on VHS which is well worn out now!! They are just so entertaining, and their music is fantastic. 'Victim of Love' always makes me get up and dance, and I think 'The Circus' is one of the best protest songs ever, totally anti-Thatcher!! 'A Little Respect' is just superb, and as for 'Sometimes' well, it still has me singing at the top of my voice! I have liked all their music, I love their stage presence, their attitude, everything about them.
If 80's are your thing, this is one for you!!
on 4 November 2007
Albeit previously released not to long back and minus the recent gems from Nightbird, Union St and Light at the End of World, this still has to be a must for every seasoned music lover go buy it put your spandex leggings on and ruby slippers and dance yourself silly.
on 22 July 2004
The 1980s were blessed with the Synth Pop Holy Trinity: Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, and Erasure. Since their debut "Wonderland," the duo of Vince Clarke (formerly of DM and Yazoo) and Andy Bell have created a long string of tech pop confections that would make Rodgers and Hammerstein jealous. Unfortunately, "Hits!," the first greatest hits collection of the legendary duo since 1992's "Pop!," is a slapdash attempt at covering Erasure's entire history. While Pet Shop Boys compiled all their hits on two discs on "PopArt," Erasure's "Hits!" tries to cram their discography onto just one CD, and it makes too many omissions. The problem with hits collections is that at least one personal favorite is likely to be left out. But the omissions on "Hits!" are not only several, but they are quite glaring. In my opinion, it is absolutely CRIMINAL to do ANY Erasure hits CD without including the duo's debut single, "Who Needs Love Like That." Also on the absentee list are other hits like "Run to the Sun" (1994), "Am I Right?" (1991), "Star" (1990), and "Don't Say Your Love Is Killing Me" (1997). And why do we need THREE cuts from the 4-track EP "Abba-Esque?" Also, the limited edition version of "Hits!" has a bonus 70+ minute megamix CD that's fine for what it is, but it doesn't really make this compilation any more appealing. While casual listeners won't likely find much fault with "Hits!," more diehard fans will be disappointed. Both Erasure and their fans deserve a little better.
VINE VOICEon 28 February 2008
Barcode: 0724359410821

Erasure are now one of my favourite bands and it all started with this compiplation. Ever song on here apart from Oh L'amour and Freedom is a top 15 hit and you can see why they did so well. The songs are classic, unashmamed synth-pop enfused with the most fanatastic sense of fun and happiness. Andy is an amazing singer, Vince equally talented in the keyboards department coming up with songs that are brimming with catchy melodies.

This album really is just amazing, the first half is just great song after great song and it is impossible not to sing along to such classics as 'Sometimes', 'Chains of Love' and 'A Little Respect'.

With 'Blue Savannah', the duo began to become more diverse in their sound. They touched lightly on influences from the early 90s rave scene on 'Love To Hate You' and 'Breath Of Life' as well as alonging this to trickle over into their brilliant ABBA covers, three of which are included here.

Unfortunately, it is at this point that things slow down a bit. From Always to Freedom, Erasure lose some of the energetic catchiness that made them so lovable in the first place. i think in this respect, the songs would work better on their respective albums rather than on a greatest hits. Fortunately, Solsbury Hill is a charming cover and shows the first signs of the brilliant comeback they would have with Nightbird and Light At The End Of The World - returning to their old sound.

If you've never heard Erasure before then a seriously advise you to either get your hands on this album or their other greatest hits 'Pop! - the First 20 Hits'. They truly are one of the best bands of the last 25 years.
on 27 October 2003
The best part of this cd is the erasure megamix on disc2. Very well done.
Disc 1 is lacking too many of their other great hits and should have had a few new songs on it. I was also hoping to see some of the less successful hits they've released. I agree with the other review that it is too similar to POP.
Can't wait for their new material.
For an amazing couple of new songs, I highly recommend the Oh L'amour single with "Love Me All Night" and "Nothing Lasts Forever."
on 20 July 2012
Warning - this item is not as described - it is a CD only - not dual disc and no DTS surround - which was the reason for my purchase. A great pop collection by Erasure though.
on 30 April 2006
This album does not come close to Pop! the first and in my books the only best of album.

Erasure have been going strong for 20 years this year. They seem to have peaked in 1994 with Isay Isay Isay album and so for 10 years we've seen Cowboy 1997 (an album missing the spirit of Isay Isay Isay, Chorus and Innocents) Loveboat 2000, (a disaster of an album that has no direction and the sound is poor) an average covers album in 2003 and finally in 2005 a return to their greatness, Nightbird.

To me the hits album was rushed and missing the actual hits of their twenty year collaboration.

My advice - buy Pop! or make your own hits album.