4.0 out of 5 stars a little annoying...
if you already have the GOLDFRAPP 7th TREE DELUXE box, then youre screwed if you want to add the DVD , instead you must buy the box all over again...MUTE remains MUTE on the matter of selling just the DVD
Published on 12 Oct. 2008 by Mark C.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rip off
If you have the previous boxed edition of this album you have to buy a duplicate copy of the cd just to get hold of the dvd!
I suppose the state of cd sales is such that record companies feel they have to rip off customers to get what they can out of us.
Perhaps Goldfrapp might rethink the way they sell their music to their fans in future?
Published on 11 Nov. 2008 by zyggy

4.0 out of 5 stars a little annoying..., 12 Oct. 2008
Mark C. (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm honey and goosepimples, 29 Feb. 2008
G. Thomas (Canterbury UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Seventh Tree (Audio CD)
I really should have trusted Goldfrapp more.
From the genius of Felt Mountain, via the gorgeous Black Cherry to the fantastically stompin' Supernature, they have never let me down.
I've seen them three different times and it's always superb. Their music and their videos always push at boundaries but there I was, having doubts about this album before I'd even heard it.

I guess it was a combination of my expectations and the almost ravenous reception by Radio One of "A&E". I think I kind-of turned off.
The seemingly superficial ballad style of A&E and a host of gushing emails from Jo Whiley's listeners immediately started me on the "sold out" train of thought.
Was I wrong?.. you bet. I guess listening on the workplace-radio didn't do "A&E" justice.
I subsequently heard 2 more tracks "Little Bird" and "Happiness" then saw a late night TV performance.
It's one of those moments in life when you're so glad to be wrong.

Part of what Goldfrapp have, over more pedestrian bands, is a willingness to change, adapt and experiment.
They still have the unique style you already love but it's here in a different form.
All the good things that make Goldfrapp Goldfrapp are there in Seventh Tree you just have to unwrap the new "packaging" and then you'll see it.
Seventh tree is still envelope-pushing, edgy, inspiring, warm, inviting, blissful and retains that glorious oddness that has always defined Goldfrapp for me. Listening to this feels like taking a shower in warm honey whilst having a violent attack of the goosepimples.

Another triumph for re-invention and yet another 5 gold stars for Alison & Will.

Terrific stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a good mix of styles, 22 Jan. 2008
Heard this thing as a download on a friend's IPOD. We ordered the hard copy as soon as we heard it. It's a good expanded style of songwriting that takes in "Felt Mountain" and their more glam experiments. Good work MUTE for leaking this ahead of its release to create a buzz for the album. To all record execs, learn from this.....a download is available, and we're still BUYING the CD. Is that clear enough for you?
Release better music and people will buy it; here endeth the lesson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fly Little Bird, just keep flying ..., 31 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Seventh Tree (Audio CD)
Goldfrapp want to change musical direction and this album signals the beginning of that change. Their interests were always too diverse and their musical talents too accomplished to become shackled down churning out electro-disco dance numbers - despite what their record company might prefer. Competing against the endless line of Lady GaGa clones is surely not where they want to be. So, step up Seventh Tree. A curious title, possibly hinting that just as the seventh tidal wave offers a stronger current, the seventh tree will signify a similar break from normality. As soon as you hear the opening track you know that Goldfrapp are doing something different. `Clowns' is a dreamy ethereal acoustic charmer that engages your attention immediately. Over a perfectly balanced soundtrack of strings and guitars Alison mumbles something about large balloons being played with by clowns. The lyrics are almost irrelevant; it's the music that matters on this one. It's great and you can't dance to it.

The next couple of tracks are just gorgeous. Beautiful melodies and electronic sounds and over this arrangement Alison pours out a string of life-affirming lyrics promoting actions that you can take that can result in a nirvana of sorts. Set yourself free, remove the shackles that are holding you down and you can fly like a `Little Bird'. Give me your money and I can promise you `Happiness' and love, real love.

The album then slows down with a set of sadder, slower pieces that talk about loneliness and despair about broken relationships. `Road To Somewhere' as opposed to Road To Nowhere talks about a relationship wandering aimlessly and ponders if it is not too late to bring it back on track. `Eat yourself', possibly inferring a tale of unrequited love. Does someone love themselves so much they could possibly eat themselves? Vocally, Alison sounds like Billie Holliday on that last one. Sweet and tender and just a little vulnerable.

`Some people' is the slow-burner on the album. I passed over it after the first few listens but as the immediacy of the more accessible songs begins to wane, I find myself listening more and more to this one and the other inbetween songs such as `Monster Love' and `Cologne Cerrone Houdini'. All wonderful, with beguiling lyrics and tender acoustic sounds.

Yes, `A&E' and `Caravan Girl' are there for easy consumption. `A&E' in particular is a pure delight. It feels like a condensed version of all the great moments on their previous albums. Sharp lyrics over a wonderful chanting electronic chorus with a hypnotic beat. No wonder it was snapped up by the ad-men.

There are lines that you can draw through all sorts of artists to arrive at the Goldfrapp sound. Kate Bush and Liz Fraser vocals, Prefab Sprout, Air and Cocteau Twins electronic wizardry but the great, truly great, thing about Goldfrapp is that they are more than just the sum of their influences. They have refined and honed their sound. Alison's voice has never sounded better than on this album and the creativity of the music to accompany her voice is close to perfection.

On the front cover of Seventh Tree, Alison throws a nervous, furtive glance behind her shoulder. The look of the glamorous disco diva that appeared on Black Cherry and Supernature is replaced by a more natural but slightly less confident appearance. Does that look from Alison tell us that she is walking away from her glam period and wondering nervously if we will follow? Seventh Tree signals a new direction for Goldfrapp, but I suspect that it is merely a stepping-stone to a new Goldfrapp sound. As I write this review, we are only a couple of months away from their new album and a new single is already circulating on the web with fairly mixed comments. As sad as it will be to see some parts of the Goldfrapp sound disappear, I am excited and thrilled at the prospect of what they might deliver next. Don't worry Alison, be like that little bird and keep flying. We'll enjoy wherever you land.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Amazing, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Seventh Tree (Audio CD)
Goldfrapp are one of my favourite bands and I love the evolution and constant change within their music. I hadn't listened to this album for a while and it popped up on my iPhone today and I have not stopped playing it!

The album evokes very happy summer type memories - it is almost dreamlike and slightly mystical, what British summers are like when they actually happen!

My stand out tracks have got to be Road to Somewhere, Eat Yourself and A&E - I could listen to them all day long and not get bored. Beautiful. In fairness all of the tracks are fantastic and seem almost ethereal.

I was lucky enough to see Goldfrapp tour when they released this album and Alison's vocals were absolutely top notch. I have seen them subsequently and can not wait to see them again!

With their new album (Tales of Us) due out this September I think we may be in for something a little similar this album but much darker in tone. I actually can not wait!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seventh Heaven, 13 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Seventh Tree (Audio CD)
After the glorious synthpop plus of Supernature, Alison and Will continue to mine those spinal shivers with this emotive pastoral perfection. The duo continues to strive for something fresh and exciting, and it is only fitting that they should venture into more sedate territory. Little Bird, with its Beatlesque psychedelia and soaring vocal coda is probably the best thing they've ever done. Like Time Out From The World from Supernature, it is secure on my continuous playlist. Wonderful sounds and arrangements abound, and I have to say this album really highlights Alison's vocal prowess and versatility (has anyone else noted that Norah Jones quality), never more impressive than on Road To Somewhere. Catchy tracks like A&E and Caravan Girl show that their clubbing sensibilities are not totally subdued, but this is really their meadow mellow, slow dancing album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leicester Bangs Review (2008):, 28 Jan. 2011
Leicester Bangs "words-R-us" (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seventh Tree (Audio CD)
Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree (EMI)
`Seventh Tree' is the fourth studio album from the electronica duo, and something of a departure from the glam rock of `Supernature' (`Ooh La La' and `Ride A White Horse'). That works for me. While `Supernature' was a good album and the singles sounded great on the radio, it's pleasing to have the old Goldfrapp back with their folky influences and delicate ambient moments again at the forefront of their sound. The album's centrepiece is the single, `A&E' - a power ballad which wont get you reaching for the sickbag. Add to that the looped swirl of `Clowns', and the epic `Road To Somewhere', 70's Moogs and gentle pianos. It's a winner. 9/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeling like I needed you, 25 Mar. 2008
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I confess, I'm still getting used to the glitzy, glammy sound Goldfrapp had in its last album. Now it has gone to the other extreme -- floaty, instrumental pop.

Fortunately it doesn't take long to get used to this new style, because it fits Goldfrapp like a fine silk glove.The dancy electrobeats are translated into shimmering downtempo, the hard edges softened into acoustics -- it's a floaty, dreamlike, bittersweetly beautiful little album, full of swirlingly addictive instrumentation and wistful vocals.

It opens with the mellow rippling guitar, overlaid with an ethereal fog of sorrowful violins, a touch of synth, clips of birds singing happily. "Only clowns would play with dull balloons," Alison Goldfrapp sings in a girlish slur. It's pretty hard to hear what's she singing ("Roasting, roasting, roast indeed, mahogany"), but the exquisite quality of the music makes up for it.

This is where you know it's all going to work.

And she doesn't disappoint in the songs after, startling with the quivering synth and satiny vocals of "Little Bird" ("We dance by the sea/the land of blue and gold/is where we were free/do you lie, lie lie?") and catchy, sunny "Happiness." And it sets the tone for some of the songs that follow -- exquisitely sensuous pop melodies, odd chorale ballads, dramatic electronica, and the sprightly dancy chamberpop of "Caravan Girl."

The highlight has to be "A&E," a warm fragile little melody spun that ripples with piano and soft keyboard. And as the melody picks up into a swirling instrumental speckled with electronic blips, the tone turns a bit darker. "I was trying to phone you when I'm crawling out the door.... I was feeling lonely, feeling blue/Feeling like I needed you/Like I've woken up surrounded by me/A&E..."

Most bands can't pull off a total change of sound -- they're going to disappoint a lot of, and often the quality of their music suffers because they're simply not used to this style. Fortunately Goldfrapp is not one of those bands -- it's hard to imagine anyone being turned off by the lush, bittersweet sound of this album.

The songs are spun out of a lot of acoustic instruments -- waves of elegant strings and a low-key piano, with some acoustic guitar and jazzy drums to keep the melodies grounded. But they haven't totally abandoned electronica -- there's a trip-hoppy downtempo flavour to these songs, mostly expressed in warm, misty synth that gently wraps around the chamberpop and folky melodies. But you do get some kooky catchy organ again toward the end.

And Alison Goldfrapp sounds like she's having fun. Her flexible, silky voice can become whatever the melody requires of her -- girly slurring, terrifying perkiness ("We're here to welcome you!"), an otherworldly balladeer -- but most of the time she sounds lovelorn and wistful.

And while the music may be more accessible, the songs she sings are flavoured with depression, moments stolen with a lover you'll never really have, and even drug overdoses ("It's a blue, bright blue Saturday, hey hey/And the pain has started to slip away/I'm in a backless dress on a pastel ward that's shining/Think I want you still/But it may be pills at work").

Goldfrapp have really outdone themselves in the shimmering, exquisite "Seventh Tree," a sharp deviation from their previous music. Utterly spellbinding from beginning to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely work - nice package ..., 16 Mar. 2008
P. White (Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This album is a gem and very uplifting to listen to. It never jars and creates a fine old mood. The style ranges from trip-hop (evolved) to psychedelia with smatterings of theme and acoustic. Alison out sings the rather over rated Duffy on most tracks and it grows with every listen.
This set contains an impeccably produced box of Alison's hand written lyrics (and doodles), a poster (useless unless you iron it), several postcards with photos of Alison and her band, the CD and a DVD with a short film and a video for one of the tracks. Very good value I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars not so summery, 18 Nov. 2010
People use bucolic, optimistic and sunny words to describe this album, but I think it's more complicated than that.

The last album, 'Supernature' was like the soundtrack to something precious ending. Sucking hard on the fag end of love; trying to kill the pain with too much substance.

'Seventh Tree' happens later. You're still in pain, but now, mostly, you can feel the scars, not the raw wound. A wry smile instead of a grimace. It's the morning after, and the birds, somehow, are still singing.

God, I love Goldfrapp.