5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC BLUE
I ordered this as a fan of Justin Haywards for many years but I didnt realise the utter quality of every track on this album.
Vincent,The tracks of my tears,Stairway to heaven,to name a few are sang with such heart that it hurts.
Im 50 something,and am critical about music but beleive me
this is a classic, that you will want to play over and over again.
Published on 18 Dec 2005 by A reader.

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite sure
Justin plays other artists hits ? bit of a strange collection of songs i'm not sure I like the choice of material to be fair Stairway to Heaven maybe a step too far . Some of the tracks here are ok but I am not recommending this cd to any moody blues fan as it's a bit to far left of centre for my liking,
Published 14 months ago by A. J. Harknett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC BLUE, 18 Dec 2005
Im 50 something,and am critical about music but beleive me
this is a classic, that you will want to play over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Blue Justin Hayward, 23 May 2006
Kelly G (Cincinnati,ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Classic Blue (Audio CD)
This is a wonderfully crafted album that showcases Justin's great voice. The Symphony adds a whole new dimension. There is a good variety of songs from different songwriters, including Simon & Garfunkel,Beach Boys,Beatles, and Zeplin. The best version of Forever Autumn is on this album. The only song that is not as good is Scarborough Fair, because the woman singing the canticle drowns out Justin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Class, 24 Mar 2008
V. Young "baguette-cut" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Classic Blue (Audio CD)
This is a real showcase for Justins superb voice. He sings every track with such sincerity, and orchestral accompanyment compliments this perfectly. Tracks of my tears and stairway to heaven are my favourite tracks. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a pleasure and suprise this is!, 10 Jan 2008
This review is from: Classic Blue (Audio CD)
I ordered this out of curiosity more than anything else and although I am not a great fan of such grand orchestral arrangements of pop/rock songs, in this case I was absolutely taken aback by this CD. The fact that it is just vocals and an orchestra without the distractions of guitars, drums, synths etc. just lets the lyrics shine through. It was almost as if I had never really heard them properly before and Justin Hayward has such a gift for almost 'story telling' lyrics, it is captivating to listen to. There are a few tracks that I would not have included if it were my choice, but it isn't, so you have to respect the reasons for their inclusion as they obviously mean something to the Justin Hayward & Mike Batt. Having said that, the reason I have given 5 stars is that Justin's voice is superb as are the musical arrangements. I never did like 'Vincent' before now, but this version is just awesome,beautiful... I can't stop playing it. As for 'Stairway to Heaven' who'd have thought it could be done, but it is absolutley magical with the lyrics taking us on a journey throughout the song. I have to give it 5 for these two tracks alone for they way they have been presented - superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking Vocals!, 4 Dec 2002
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Classic Blue (Audio CD)
Justin Hayward has never seemed able to stop recording - he loves music that much. This unusual collaboration between the Moody Blues arguably best singer and pop composer Mike Batt is extraordinary. Taking some of the best big hits of the sixties and seventies, this duo have recrafted some well-loved (and well-covered) standards.
Who would have dared to take Led Zeppelin's huge hit, "Stairway To Heaven" and turn it into "classical" mode? It's an astounding success. "MacArthur Park" seems to fit the format more likely, but even this version seems to rival the original Richard Harris masterpiece! "Vincent" is sung with an entirely new feeling that surpasses Don McLean's version and "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" stoutly stands out - Procol Harem should be proud.
This album is meticuosly produced and the arrangements are just a bit more than great. Haywards vocals are more distinct and pronounced than on many Moody Blues albums and it is a thrill to finally hear the lyrics clearly, instead of guessing all these years. This is a rare and classic album indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic...from a True Classic!, 5 Oct 2008
Joy Andis "Angel Joy" (Ware, UK and Sedona AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Classic Blue (Audio CD)
(Sigh) This is the album I always hoped Justin would release. Well, he did, and it made me very happy just for that reason alone. When I heard it and really paid attention to every song, I was beyond euphoric. The carefully picked favourites are delivered with such mastery that even a True Blue Moodies fan would find it hard to grasp.
The 2 songs that are the moments of truth for me, "Vincent" was always a fav by Don McLean, but Justin does it so well he indeed makes it his own.
The same with "Bright Eyes", I found myself wondering which version was the better one and that speaks volume's as to the talents of this man.

There may not ever be another album like this from Mr. Hayward, but do get this while you can, it is truly a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute joy....and you don't have to be a Moody Blues fan to appreciate it., 11 July 2008
Mr. K. Gibbons (Rochdale, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Classic Blue (Audio CD)
Justin Hayward linking up with Mike Batt didn't make sense to me at first....The Wombles and The Moody Blues. Nah, didn't make sense. But then some of the tracks, McArthur Park, Vincent, God only Knows, Whiter Shade of Pale, Man of the World, are some of the classic Rock tracks of my time. And whilst Justin Hayward is one of the greatest singer / songwriters of his generation he isn't afraid to perform songs written by others. And here we have a full album of just that. And his interpretation of the tracks - true to the originals - is beautiful. And clear. Sung with passion and warmth. As with every song he sings, this album showcases his wonderful voice. You don't have to be a Justin Hayward fan, a Moody Blues fan or, indeed, a fan of the tracks that he has chosen. Just a fan of beautiful music. If you are, give this a try. Trust me, you'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Justin, 12 April 2005
Joan-Violet "Jo" (Lancs UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Classic Blue (Audio CD)
I havent got the CD yet still have it on plastic I bought it the week it was released fom the fan club...and I wasnt disappointed..Stairway to heaven Justin does this one superbly I dont think there is a cover to match it...he takes this Led Zep Zap to a different level...and well who can match Justin's version of Vincent he breaks away from Don McClean's folky rythymes giving it a more classical appeal..Tracks of my tears was released as a single with some merit of success. I love Railway hotel it hits me somewhere....and Forever Autumn already a big hit with Justin this was not a cover as we know and adds to the classic appeal of the Album...I must get the cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable fro all Moodies fans., 23 Jan 2002
This review is from: Classic Blue (Audio CD)
Quite breathtaking that Mr Hayward can continue to produce to the highest standard for so long.
From his days as a schoolboy in Swindon, I have followed his career and each album is delivered with a love and a care that is unique to Justin.
Please listen , love and learn. No need to be Forever Autumn again

5.0 out of 5 stars UPLIFTING, 17 Jun 2011
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (HBMV) "Hayling Is... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Classic Blue (Audio CD)
There seem to be two versions of this album - the original Castle Communications release and a new repackage. I own the former, which has the usual poor Castle Communications artwork, but can be found on Amazon for a few pence. I would imagine the new release is sonically a better quality master. That said, the version I own is also of excellent sound quality.

Now to the album - anyone who knows the Moody Blues will realise that Justin Hayward has a beautiful, rich voice. This is put to great effect on a series of 13 cover versions chosen by Justin and Mike Batt. Backed by an 80 piece orchestra, they do real justice to a set of genuine classics, including 'Stairway to Heaven' and Batt's 'Bright Eyes'. The music is tender and gentle when required and utterly rousing and uplifting at the right times. The orchestration is superb and the musicianship exemplary.

This is a top rate album which I cannot stop playing at the moment - just brilliant!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›