on 16 December 2012
This is one of the most clumsily written books I have ever been forced to read.
The style is either deliberately dumbed down, or it displays a worrying lack of ability on the part of the authors.
As for the factual mistakes, the most glaring example is a simple one to check; 'SpyCatcher" was a biographical book written by Peter Wright, a former MI5 officer, not by Chapman Pincher, a former Journalist. How has this glaring error remained in the Electronic edition since 2008?
on 19 December 2007
This book is a real breath of fresh air in the piles of standard IS and IT textbooks. The first question: is it a textbook or not? The authors have achieved a very difficult balance between professional book and textbook - professionals will find it useful, as will students (and I'm tempted to replace the word 'useful' by 'essential'.

The book is a breath of fresh air because it discusses and takes forward, a whole series of essential debates about the rapidly emerging uses of information in what many people proclaim as a new information age.

The Amazon listing gives access to the contents so look there for the book's scope. In my opinion, this book is bordering on the essential reading for everyone concerned with information, the information age, information systems, information technology, and the very modern things different people are doing with these. As I read through the book, I kept thinking about further issues that would have been nice, and topics that could be taken deeper - but there is a realistic limit to what can be achieved in 600 pages. Whether you agree with the authors or not is perhaps not even the point - they discuss very important issues that should be taken into account by every professional and student of information, its uses, and its supporting technology. This book is a very stimulating read.

Does it cover new ground? Yes - the minimum new ground lies at least in its collation of current major issues. The second, and perhaps deeper contribution lies in its critical comments (that's one area where I would like more depth - but I remind myself - it's already 600 pages). Thirdly, it has even invented some new words (sensibly and appropriately in my view) - for example 'teledildonics' - I'll leave you as a reader to explore the book and find out what that is all about.
on 18 February 2013
This is a great book about the problems in and with IT. Laws and complex information is broken down in an easy to understand format. Clearly written and presented - reading this book made the Professional Issues module in my masters a pleasure.
on 29 December 2012
This is a poorly written and extraordinarily dull book. The only reason anyone should contemplate reading this is because it is mandatory for some University IT courses. Avoid it if possible.
on 9 February 2015
This is an excellent book and a really easy read with some superb case studies to support the main body of text. Even if you aren't going to study this would be a fascinating book to read.
on 31 May 2014
This book would be a good read for anybody as it reveals a lot about human nature and how the Internet (and computing) has changed the world. This is a seminal book.
on 28 June 2011
I purchased this book for my University reading and I have to say that the sheer breadth and depth of coverage of the topics in this book are well worth the price stated. This book addresses most of the hot topics head-on - in a language that clearly explains the concept along with suitable additional reading/examples which pushes you to think about the impact of it all.

I would give it 5 stars but unfortunately won't because there is no e-book edition which means I have to search using the Mark I eyeball using a glossary which is light on the keywords.
on 28 September 2010
Pandora's Box provides a great read whether or not it is being used for academic purposes. It highlights a lot of the social and ethical issues of the "digital" world that we tend to ignore in our day to day activities. Real cases bringing to the fore real issues that will provoke deep thinking.