5.0 out of 5 stars Dexter is great!
Fantastic from start to finish! Great story lines and great acting. It is a shame it all had to end
Published 8 months ago by Brian Penny

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series that took the wrong turn
This set contains full box sets for each series and is offered at a great price.
The packaging itself is fine, but it is rather bulky and awkward to store.

If you have not watched this series yet, do read up about its final season before committing to purchase this.
Unless you are an avid fan, or like to collect box sets, you may want to watch this...
Published 7 months ago by Luciftian

5.0 out of 5 stars Dexter is great!, 15 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars What a megabargain!, 13 Feb 2014
P. B. Koeb (Aljezur, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD] (DVD)
(At this moment in time......... ) Bought as a fabulous, no-brainer of a bargain. All EIGHT seasons...... do the math! Having just finished season six on my local RTP2 channel, i simply couldn't stand the idea of waiting nearly a year for season seven and even longer for season eight. (Running the risk of discovering more and more spoilers.) Rather than opt for a quick purchase of season seven....... let alone season eight.... i took the complete box set route. This attractive, sturdy set cost only a little more than i shelled out for seasons one through four. AAAAARRRRGH!!!

What of the seasons? There are already more reviews than one can poke a stick at, and readers will see that the "post-Trinity" seasons don't generally appear to satisfy as much. As for my personal ratings: season one (Ice Truck Killer) is simply superb; season two (Bay Harbor Butcher) ditto, although i always found the denouement a little too easy; season three (Miguel Prado) sees things taking a bit of a breather; season four (Trinity Killer) is possibly one of the greatest of all seasons of anything...... John Lithgow illuminates with a truly breathtaking guest star performance; season five (Barrel Girls) is a solid season and rather underrated; season six (Doomsday Killer) is the only real disappointer..... very flat. Colin Hanks is the weakest of all the guest stars and Edward James Olmos not that interesting; season seven (Koshka Brotherhood/Hannah McKay) with Ray Stevenson giving a very menacing performance and lovely Yvonne Strahovski simply radiant. I found this quite excellent; season eight (The Brain Surgeon) ...... i feared the worst, on the basis of people's typical reviews, but found it to be very worthwhile.

The surprising thing is that so many seem to have found seasons seven and, particularly, eight so much of a letdown. Perhaps viewers didn't go for the "what would we do out of love?" exploration. I came to the end of the journey yesterday, in tears during the final episode. Maybe it depends on the old business about whether or not one believes in the journey of the characters. I found myself quite desperately wanting things to work out happily, in spite of the numerous leaps of faith which have been required of us. What we get is one of the most moving, haunting, bitter-sweet conclusions i know in any tv series. I'll inevitably come back to a full rerun of "Dexter" in a couple of years. In the meantime, this deluxe set will take pride of place on a shelf.

PS. Now available in a more compact, cost-optimised version. The slip case has gone, but it still looks good.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING SERIES, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD] (DVD)
Honestly, I don't see why so much negative feedback is given to the second half of the series. The series never noticeably dipped in quality for me. I would recommend this series 100%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series, DVDs have varied language options, 25 Sep 2014
Alan FArr (Bruxelles, Belgium) - See all my reviews
The Dexter series is brilliant! I didn't see any of it whilst it was running, but fell over the odd episode or two after the series had stopped.

I found Season 1 in a shop in Oostende, Belgium, which had the SOUND in TWO languages: English and French, plus SUBTITLING in EIGHT: Danish, English, French, Belgian French, Nederlands (Dutch/Flemish), Norwegian, Suomi (Finnish) and Swedish.

Thus I was convinced to buy the entire set.

Looking in this set, I see exactly the same discs and yes, Season 1 has the same set of language options.

Sadly, however, subsequent Seasons have omitted these language options, offering speech and subtitling only in English.

Rather disappointing. And inconsistent.

My native tongue is English, but various friends would wish to see French, Flemish and Danish included (as would I, simply to continue immersion in those languages.)

I'm sure the discs will play as they should and will be enjoyable. Just wish I could have had all the language options too.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BUY :)!!!, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD] (DVD)
this review is actually about the product. We all know the storyline is great and all that stuff. If your buying this then i gather you know what your buying anyway. The box is very well made. the dvd cases are full size (not those slim down ones you get with some box sets. and the simplicity but link and symbolism to the season of the dvd design makes it such an appealing looking set. the box opens in the middle. you can probably see that if you look closely on the pictures. There is a red thick plastic sleeve which fits nicely over the top. (it's the part with the words dexter that you see on the pictures) the picture of dexter is on the box which is white. it's a well made box. Each dvd has 4 discs in it and all include special features on the last disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! A must buy!!!, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD] (DVD)
I actually had never seen Dexter before, until a few years ago when a friend was going on about it, I decided to watch an episode on Youtube - which then resulted in me buying a few seasons on DVD. I've never really enjoyed American TV shows so it took me a while to get into it - after which I was hooked - couldn't stop watching it, whenever I had free time I would watch for hours and hours! Honestly if you have never seen Dexter before - Buy this DVD, you will not regret it!

This Complete boxset is a great bargain. Although I had most seasons on DVD, I decided to purchase this set - It's good to have the full collection, I'm currently re-watching (and it's like i'm watching for the first time - I'm hooked again!!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Dexter's Journey, 22 Jan 2014
Amazon Customer "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD] (DVD)
Like many people, when this show was recommended to me I tried not to smirk. The whole idea sounded kitsch at best, and time slot filler at worst. Oh how wrong I was. Other reviewers have done more justice to this `gem' of a series, so please look to them for a full synopsis. I have managed to seen season one to eight, and while some episodes/seasons seem too stretch the realms of the plausible and one season stands out as not being on par with the rest - I have really enjoyed them as each story is `fresh' and entertaining. My opinion, for what it is worth, if you cannot buy it, at least rent them from Amazon, but definitely give a try. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Major part of my life the last eight years!, 26 Aug 2014
Where to begin. After reading the first novel `Darkly dreaming Dexter` this
gem came into my life and remained there a number of years all the way
to the dramatic last episode.

For new fans, `Dexter` is a forensics blood spatter analyst who works
for the Miami police department who moonlights as a serial killer - only
taking out the bad people of the city!

So much more to the story but I will let you discover that!

Season one and two were definitely when the series was in it's prime!
Season three I wasn't keen with but some people's opinion's may differ!
Season four was the darkest. Five was ace. Season six took on a religious
turn and seven was excellent. Season eight for me ended badly. Without
spoiling anything it could have ended happily.

I have followed with all anticipation the series and novels since 2006.
As dark as it is original with a perfect performance from Michael C. Hall
fans of CSI will love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've never seen this - you are in for a treat, 14 Mar 2014
kate "Kate" (Aberdeen Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD] (DVD)
I've watched Breaking Bad (fabulous, funny and dark), Game of Thrones ( love the characters and high drama not to mention the dragons - very cool) and umpteen other "good" boxed sets. However Dexter tops the lot. This is drama at its absolute best. The whole idea of a serial killer with a moral conscience who doesn't understand the concept of a moral conscience is riveting. The characters are well drawn, not always likeable, but plausible. Dexter himself is very well played and you find yourself "rooting for him" every step of the way. I loved this - the concept - the acting - the development. Every new Season has something completely new and original to add. It is truely more (much more) than the sum of its parts. It surprises, it shocks, it entertains. This is a rare and special thing - it is original. I am very sad that it has come to an end and hope (maybe forlornly),that there is some way in which there can be a season 9. I feel very envious of anyone who hasn't seen this sterling series. I wish I could watch it again with virgin eyes so to speak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD] (DVD)
I love dexter and am very happy with this box set. I would recommend the series to anyone. It's also cheap!

Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD]
Dexter - Complete Season 1-8 [DVD] by Michael C. Hall (DVD - 2013)