Published 18 months ago by Lakey

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and dull
Predictable and derivative from War of the Worlds. I got bored about a third of the way through and gave up on it.
Published 4 months ago by James Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this when I was a child, and am thrilled that it's in Kindle format, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Tripods: The White Mountains: Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
It's very odd to re-read a book from my childhood more than three decades later, but it has stood the test of time pretty well. A lot of sci-fi becomes dated either because our understanding of science has changed or because the social attitudes in the book seem so fixed in the time it was written, but this book still seems futuristic. Of course, now that I'm an adult, it isn't as long and meaty a story as I remember, it was like reading a short story in that it finished before I expected it to, but that is true of all good children's book, there's no irrelevant waffle that stops the story from moving forward.

I will be passing this on to my son to read, along with the rest of the trilogy, I hope he will enjoy it as much as I did when I was his age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Climb every mountain!, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Tripods: The White Mountains: Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
Life lived along the lines of a medieval feudal system, but transpiring a century (or more) ahead of the present day...? This is John Christopher's future vision of humanity, surviving under the yoke of the monstrous Tripods; and this, too, is the basic reality with which we are immediately confronted in 'The White Mountains' - the first exciting instalment in the series.

The tale follows the heroic adventures of three teenage boys: Will Parker and his cousin Henry, escaping across the English Channel from the Tripods and the approaching threat of Capping; and 'Beanpole' (Jean-Paul) - the brainy friend and saviour they meet in France, who joins them in their quest towards those mysterious faraway mountains. And what a thoroughly good read it is, too!

Aimed primarily at a youthful audience (don't let that deter you!), the author barely puts a foot wrong throughout each of the ten alternately thrilling and moving chapters of this book. Chapter Five - 'The City of the Ancients' - must be singled out for particular praise, charting as it does the boys' anxious progress through the chillingly-described ruins of a deserted and decaying Parisian landscape, and being as good a piece of writing is you could ever hope to find: adroit, concise, and hugely affecting.

Really, this book offers much to delight the reader. There's humour galore in Will and Henry's first incredulous encounter with the 'Shmand-Fair' (chemin de fer - or railway, as we might prefer to call it), and their less than gracious reactions when Beanpole suggests its carriages may once have been propelled by 'giant kettles' - especially as this fascinating mode of transport has (quite literally) a much more limited horsepower, on first acquaintance; there's romance in the form of Will's awkward first love for the beguiling yet unobtainable Eloise; and there's exhilarating encounters and battles with the deadly Tripods themselves, as the three boys struggle to cross that last expanse between peril and the safety of the beckoning mountains beyond. What's not to like? Well, not much at all - unless...

Will and Henry's witnessing of a troupe of hooligan Tripods skimming across the Channel like hydrofoils (Chapter Four) is a little bit on the risible side, I suppose. Nor am I at all impressed or convinced when a principal character (on this occasion, Will Parker) suddenly succumbs to an undefined malady that keeps him confined to bed in a state of semi-conscious delirium for several days (as at the end of Chapter Five/beginning of Chapter Six), whilst those in close proximity remain entirely unscathed. The book's concluding paragraphs are perhaps a little on the weak side, too, compared to all that has gone before...

But look - I'm being really picky in bringing the author's slight stumblings to the fore. This book is a very fine introduction indeed to John Christopher's Tripods series of novels and I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending it; but if, in the first instance, you were to ask me why these books aren't more widely read in the author's native land (and why they aren't more highly regarded, too), I honestly couldn't tell you because there isn't an obvious explanation. Perhaps these Kindle e-books might help to right that wrong.

So - do Will, Henry, and Beanpole finally manage to reach the sanctuary of the White Mountains? I'm afraid that's something you will have to discover for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great re read!, 19 July 2014
Vincent H. Parker "Avid Kindler" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tripods: The White Mountains: Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
It has been many years since I last read this book, in fact it was roughly 38 years! It was one of my C.S.E. readers. I remembered being gripped by it then, and I was again now.

It is a brilliantly written book, Christopher has the knack of writing in such a way that although this is predominantly a young persons book, it is eminently readable by older folks as well. A rare talent.

I shall now continue to read the other books in the series, and look forward to the fourth book, a prequel: which had not been written 38 years ago

4.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the Past, 10 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Tripods: The White Mountains: Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved the BBC series as a 6 year old and then the books when I was about 9. 38 now and wanted a book so I looked these up and I have to say I am loving them again. I love books where characters go on a journey with lots of adventurers and a final goal. Essential sci fi reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful novel, 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Tripods: The White Mountains: Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
I read this many years ago, after I saw the tv series being filmed at Portmeirion one summer. It is still an excellent read and I read it through in one sitting!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books of my youth., 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Tripods: The White Mountains: Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
I was introduced to this book in early high school. I loved it then, love it now. Read it to my children. This is a classic book well worth reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and dull, 29 Dec. 2014
James Kay (San Francisco, CA, US) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 23 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Tripods: The White Mountains: Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
An imaginative if slightly dated sci-fi adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Jan. 2015