5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Smart Scale
Published 11 months ago by Charlie Mouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Be aware of letting the batteries run out completely!
I bought these in December '13 and was very pleased with them up until the batteries ran flat. With new batteries inside, the scales now just read gibberish despite anything that I try. Salter say that once this happens, they are irreperable which is fine if you are still within the warranty period (as I fortunately am).

Having searched on the net, it appears I...
Published 6 months ago by Guy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Smart Scale, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Salter Heston Blumenthal Dual Platform Precision Scale (Kitchen & Home)
I don't think you need to be a Heston fan to appreciate this scale. I'd owned a basic plastic Salter electronic scale for some years before I bought this and it had never let me down but was starting to look a bit shabby which is why I decided to treat myself to something new. This Heston scale is really in a different league. The first thing I like is the storage box it comes in which means if I put it away in my cupboard it will be well protected, although I have to say it looks so cool I have left it out on show so far. The two weighing platforms are made from stainless steel which means they are both easy to keep clean and made to last. The display is really clear and easy to read. And I've already found myself using the little platform quite a bit for weighing out small amounts really precisely. All in all, very happy and would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic! A delight to use too..., 21 May 2014
We would like to think that we know quite a bit about kitchen scales in our household. We have certainly been through enough of them. Firstly, most modern scales seem pretty accurate on the weighing side of things (which is clearly what they are designed to do and so a bit obvious I guess). I think that the technology nowadays with digital measuring is kinda more than good enough for domestic usage.

So that's the boring bit done with. Most scales we have had, thrown away, or which stopped working, were unusable etc all had plenty of design elements that either irritated or actually even annoyed. In most cases the display is too small, or not with sufficient contrast to read easily under kitchen lighting. Then often the display gets completely hidden by your food/container when placed on the scales! Another annoyance oft encountered is the insistence of many scales to decide they have been on for long enough and take it upon themselves to switch off! Very frustrating if the auto-switch-off is too keen. Then there are those scales which have so few buttons that you have to go through the same succession of repeated button-presses every time you use them. I could go on (and quite often do!)...

Now, let's talk about the Heston Blumenthal Dual Platform Precision Scales:

THEY ARE BRILLIANT!

Well, I hope that has helped any prospective purchasers make their decision.

Kind regards
Mr Tester.

Oh, you want more information? Okay, does this help:

1) Build and overall quality 10/10. These scales are simply beautiful in their design. They are elegant and I would imagine will spend pretty much all their life out on your kitchen worktop. Any nosy neighbours who pop round to borrow a cup of sugar will shrivel up in jealousy the moment they espy your beautiful scales. When they ask to borrow them too just tell them to go away and get their own sugar and scales. The build quality is top-notch with stainless steel surfaces.

2) Design 10/10. If anyone out there can design a better kitchen scale then you should be in manufacturing now. These scales have been so well thought out. The secondary smaller weighing platform may seem overkill but it isn't - it's a handy extra that you will almost certainly use at times. The main thing about the design is that you can pop a dish, plate, bowl, or even a bag of haggis-bits -- and you will still be able to clearly see the display. What more could a simple man (or woman) want eh? Sheer genius in my opinion that someone has designed some scales that are actually readable when weighing food!! Probably being a bit overly sarcastic here but hopefully you get my point.

3) Display 10/10. Actually - 15/10. What a stunning display. Large (very large) main readout and the type of LCD they have used is sort of reversed with pale numbers against a dark background. The bottom line is that they are wonderfully readable in pretty much any situation (haven't tried them when scuba diving as yet though). My wife's days of peering to see stupid small LCD readouts are a thing of the past. Heston has nailed it with this display. A total winner and this type of display ought to be made a legal requirement by the EU I reckon. You will not be disappointed. Apart from the stunning display the information is quick and logical to access. Very very good indeed.

4) Value for Money 10/10. They might not be the cheapest kitchen scales on Amazon but actually, for what you get I believe they represent very good value for money. Mainly because anyone receiving them will be so chuffed that they will have forgotten about the money the moment they plop a tomato on to weigh. Although arguably completely useless to some purchasers I feel I have to even mention the box they come in. I never thought I would rave about a box that a gadget comes in but this one is special. It more befits an item of jewellery. The box is unbelievably well made. If you want to keep you scales in their box then every time you put them away you'll have a 'special moment'. We keep our scales out all the time but, if you are in that situation, then the box is so lovely that I am sure you could find another use for it... please send suggestions to the address below! It's strange but the moment you get your hands on Heston's scales you know you have something special as the box is, after all, the first tactile experience you get when opening the package.

5) Functionality 10/10. They work, and they work very very well. They do not turn off every time you bend down to scratch your ankle. They are simple and logical in operation. What more could a person want (except for more money and better looks maybe)?

You may have gathered that we like our Heston Scales. Yes we do.

If you buy them, my humble opinion is that you will like them too.

For the forseeable future we do not anticipate looking at any other kitchen scales. Our scale-quest is over. Ended.

If you buy them, my humble opinion is that you will not need to look at any other kitchen scales.

For those of you who think I am being overly-biased, well okay you may have a point. However, I have only bothered to spend the best part of 30 minutes writing this review because I do like to give credit where credit, I feel, is due. We have literally wasted time, effort, money and food on inferior kitchen scales over the years. This time we have got it right...

...or should I say Heston/Salter have got it right!

(Please note that I do not have any association with Heston Blumenthal or Salter, other than that of being a very happy customer). Also, please remember that this is my personal and honest opinion, and ultimately you may have a different experience and thoughts should you consider purchasing the item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heston Blumenthal Dual Platform Precision Scale, 27 Nov 2013
I bought these scales as I was after a higher capacity model to weigh my garden produce as this weighs up to 10kg on the main platform it's perfect. The only trouble is finding a vessel large enough to sit on it! The smaller precision platform wasn't really a consideration but now that I've got it I find it really useful. It's handy when baking to weigh out small amounts of ingredients like baking powder/spices although it can be difficult to know what weight you need if the recipe states in volume (e.g. tsp). I've also recently started making cheese and for this you need to acturately weigh out small quantities of bacterial starter or rennet - the precision platform is perfect for this especially as it weighs in 0.1g increments. The product looks really smart and is well built. The storage box that it comes with is a really nice touch as it's really well made and means you can pack it away and slide it between your cook books without dammaging the weighing mechanism. If I had more space in my kitchen I'd leave it out on display. The display screen is really easy to read with bright illuminated numbers. You can also weigh on both platforms at the same time as the screen is split to show the different weight readings. All in all an impressive bit of kit. I'm very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, clever, cool, easy to use. Great work Heston!, 10 Oct 2013
This is simply a wonderful product! It looks great, comes in a beautiful box, is easy to use and has a really bright LCD. I have had scales in the past where the LCD is dim or looks poor, this one looks excellent. I don't use the smaller precision platform that often, but it is there when I need it. The product weighs up to 10kg! Which should do my Christmas turkey...

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 21 April 2014
This is a very useful scales and seems accurate. I would have given 5 stars but for the fact that it switches off extremely quickly if it doesn't detect a change in weight, often while you are just fetching the next ingredient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat, sleek and reliable!, 30 Jan 2014
Very pleased with the scales. Being able to weigh very small amounts accurately is a big bonus as is the small space they take up in the kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Nov 2013
An excellent addition to my on-going Heston collection! Accurate weighing with the ability to weigh two items at once (more useful than you might think!). The scale also looks good in my kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only scales you will ever need - I love them., 9 April 2014
I have worked as a chef and in catering for over 16 years, now starting my own business making artisan breads and bought these scales as a present for myself. They are the best scales I have used, I can honestly say that. For domestic or industrial use they are just perfect!!!

I even weighed out a huge mix directly into the massive industrial hobart mixer bowls sat on these scales and they worked amazingly.

They are accurate, durable, easy to use, easy to clean and look amazing to boot.

If you are wondering whether or not to buy them and reading the reviews on here - buy them, trust me. you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be aware of letting the batteries run out completely!, 5 Mar 2014

Having searched on the net, it appears I am not alone and the trick is to replace the batteries as soon as the low-battery indicator comes up, rather than wait until they run out completely. But that's neither ideal nor guaranteed. Hopefully this is a tip that may help others though.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!, 22 Oct 2013
D. Fowler (Tonbridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I have bought some of the other Heston kitchen gadgets and I love them, and as my old scales were looking shabby I thought I'd give this a whirl & also because it is 10kg which is really high capacity for a kitchen scale.
I LOVE IT!
It came in a really lovely gift box (its called Storage Box on the Amazon description) but its a lot nicer than just a normal box & was quite a pleasant surprise. I dont think I'll be storing it though - it's so slim and sleek, I don't mind having it on display all the time.
The display is very bright and crystal clear & so easy to use.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone and everyone!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Salter Heston Blumenthal Dual Platform Precision Scale
Salter Heston Blumenthal Dual Platform Precision Scale by Heston Blumenthal precision by Salter