on 11 December 2013
I have three different enclosures like this, all from different sellers... They are all great, but I thought I would add a note regarding some specifics about this particular one which I did not know about before I bought it...

- The on/off switch is pretty handy, you don't realise the benefit of this until you use a drive without it!
- This has some soft padding inside, and comes with another extra stick-on pad to use if your drive is very thin - the one inside is not removable... this becomes relevant if you have a rather thick drive like my Crucial M4 - which is a very tight fit. On the other hand, a drive like the Samsung 840 which is fairly thin, will be a perfect fit in this casing.
- This comes with a standard size USB 3.0 cable - other cases I bought have a standard USB plug on one end, and a USB 3.0 MICRO on the other end, (that one with a little triangular zig in the plug) and this is a bit inconvenient for when you travel as you have to carry around a dedicated cable for that drive.

Overall, this is a solid product, and I would definitely recommend it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This review refers to the latest version of this product with rounded corners (referred to as the "new, sleek design" on this page).

This slim and smooth 2.5" hard drive enclosure will accommodate standard 2.5" SATA hard drives or SSDs with a height of up to 9.5mm and supports USB 3. I liked the fact that access to fit the disc does not require any tools - removing the cover is as easy as taking the back cover off a mobile phone. The hard drive then fits directly onto the internal SATA interface inside the enclosure. Once the cover is replaced you have a portable USB 3 drive matching your choice of specification - in my case it's a Samsung 500GB HDD. An LED confirms drive activity and a good quality 50cm (approx.) USB 3 cable is included. Of course, the higher current associated with USB 3 negates the need for an external power lead, or, as is often the case under USB 2, a second USB plug.

I now mainly use this Inateck hard drive enclosure with my Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 8 - it works perfectly and is genuinely plug and play. I also find this enclosure works with an older HP laptop which only supports USB 2 and runs Windows Vista. The performance seems good with fast up/downloading of quite large pictures etc. taken with my Nikon DSLR. I like the design and quality of this Inateck case and, for us IT novices, there is the satisfaction of feeling you've "made" something to your own spec that actually works - for that reason I like it a lot!

In summary, a well made, compact unit that will accommodate a wide range of HDD/SSDs of your choice. Recommended.
on 1 January 2014
Absolutely amazed at this little box (so much so I have ordered another one).

With my Samsung EVO 1TB SSD this gives me 450Mb/s read and write, and boots the macbook faster than any external drive I have ever seen.

The design is pure genius, simplicity itself. Slide the top back, insert the drive (2.5" SSD or HDD) - insert supplied foam pad if required (only for slim drives 7mm etc), and slide the top back on. Thats it. All there is too it. Instant rapid external and portable drive.

I have also been using the second one with a 7200 WD Black disk (320GB) and that too is blazingly quick (possibly the fasted spinning external single disk system I've encountered to date).

Overall this is a great enclosure. Simple to use, simple fuss free packaging. And all at a great value price to boot - Simply brilliant
on 25 December 2013
Video Review Summary:

→ Kit includes USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure, USB 3.0 Cable, and Instruction Manuel.
→ Product is most useful with Solid State Drives (SSD), however I had no issues using this enclosure with a regular spinning disk/platter hard drive.
→ Setup is really simple, the included instruction manual is very clear on setup and use; excellent for those who are new to hard drive cases.
→ Case is superb for upgrading a USB 2.0 portable hard drive with removable connectors (note: not all enclosed drives have removable connectors), also cheaper than purchasing an entirely new USB 3.0 hard drive.
→ Case performs at expected USB 3.0 speeds; I was able to transfer a 1GB movie in about 20 seconds, several MP3's (100mb total) in about 1 second, and several word docs in under 1 second using a USB 3.0 port on a windows 8 machine.
→ Overall, this case is a really great value at the current selling price, it's really easy to use and the performance is as expected, really a great buy.

Disclosure: I want you to know I received a sample product from the manufacturer for the purposes of providing this review. However, a review in exchange for the review sample was not promised. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the manufacturer or vendor.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 January 2014
Demo and review of Inateck's external enclosure for HDDs and SSDs. I really like this external enclosure as it is the first time I've had one which is USB 3.0 and doesn't require any fiddling with nuts and bolts. The video shows you how it works, how to connect it properly and how to get the most out of the drive.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 October 2013
I bought this for a 2.5" SATA drive to use as an external drive. it arrived ontime and in proper packaging but I couldnt put my SATA drive into it because the case didnt have enough depth to put the drive in. so I assume it is for 2.5" SSD drives . I took the parts out and using them without the enclosure and its working fine .Im giving 5 stars because of ontime delivery, very slim n intact. it does the job
on 6 March 2014
This review is for the the Inateck FEU3NS-1, USB 3.0 portable 2.5" drive enclosure. A solid choice for anyone looking to turn a 2.5" laptop hard drive or SSD into a portable USB drive, this particular enclosure has a few features that make it really stand out compared to others I have used in the past:

1) Tool-less installation. You can install or swap a hard drive in less than 5 seconds, and that's if you're moving slow. It's the easiest installation I've ever had with an external enclosure. To top it all off, the cover snaps into place firmly with a very positive action that requires a deliberate attempt to re-open the enclosure - this isn't going to just slip back open during your travels.

2) A dedicated on-off switch. My other OEM portable drives (such as the Western Digital Passport shown in the video) don't have this feature. As soon as you plug them in, the hard drive powers on and connects to the computer. With the Inatek, you can leave the drive plugged if you prefer and power it on and off via the switch on the front.

3) The tool-less installation and the dedicated power switch also mean that you can use this enclosure as a 2.5" drive dock. Keeping the enclosure plugged into your computer and the top off the enclosure off, you simply need to power it off with the switch on the front. You can then quickly insert/remove drives you want to work on, and then flip the enclosure's power switch back to the "on" to connect it back to the computer again. For anyone who needs to clone or backup 2.5" drives on the go, this is a very handy feature to speed up your work flow.

4) The standard Type A male to Type A male USB3.0 cable that is also interoperable with all USB2.0 Type A connections/cables. That means you can use any standard Type A to Type A cable for this drive should you lose or forget the one that came with it.

Using this enclosure with a Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD and connecting it to the USB3.0 port on my Windows 8.1 HP Envy 17.3" laptop (model# m7-j010dx), it maintained between 32MB/s to 40MB/s fairly consistently for both read and write speeds on various ZIP and RAR archives ranging between 200MB to 500MB in size. When transferring a larger folder from the drive to my laptop containing approximately 2GB worth of files of various types and sizes (including many files under 10MB in size), speeds ranged from 15MB/s up to 80MB/s.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with this enclosure. It performed well and installing a hard drive into it couldn't have been any easier. While aesthetics probably aren't a top priority when considering a device like this, I still have to say that I really liked the matte finish that doesn't show fingerprints and the minimalistic styling. The power/status light glows a solid bright blue when powered on and blinks while the drive is reading/writing. The manufacturer's packaging looks top notch, too, with the enclosure coming in a good looking box that has the included accessories packaged neatly inside and separated from the main enclosure itself. Inatek also includes an in-depth illustrated instruction manual, which seems to be a rarity these days. An extra piece of adhesive padding can be found in the bottom of the box that should be used when mounting 7mm thick drives in the enclosure to keep them more snugly in place, as well.

Highly recommended for anyone wanting to turn a 2.5" SATA drive into a portable USB3.0 drive or who needs a portable 2.5" hard drive docking station.

Review disclosure: I was provided a sample of this product for the purposes of examination and review. No review or particular rating was promised in return, and the opinions expressed here are my own following my first-hand experiences with this product.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am very pleased with this superbly built and highly functional hard drive disk enclosure case - especially how quickly and easily I was up and running! No tools required at all, simply slide open the cover and insert your hard disk and press firmly into place then slide the cover back on and that’s it. You have an external hard drive beautifully protected. Simplicity itself.

Prior to installing my SSD drive I inspected the unit to assess its build quality and as well as being sleekly and attractively designed, its very well built and looks and feels very sturdy and of a premium quality. It comes complete with a built-in foam pad which offers shock protection and security for your drive and the on/off switch is so very much appreciated. No longer do I need to keep the drive active if attached to my computer and not in use, I can just switch it off! and don’t need to unplug anything, so very convenient.

They do include an extra small square stick on protective pad in the box contents, this will come in handy if your drive is particularly thin. My Samsung 850 EVO SSD was not too thin, it fits the case perfectly but just because it was there, I attached the square pad inside the top cover and it still slid on easily and in my opinion, offers further protection to my external drive.

This case looks very professional and is designed for 2.5" SATA I/II/III SSD/HDD drives. It has 3 USB ports and supports drives up to 3TB and is compatible with both Windows and Mac and is backward compatible with USB 2.0 /1.1 connections. The case measures 16cm x 8.6cm x 3.6 cm and supports data transfer rates of up to 5Gbps.

I’m delighted and highly recommend it!

NOTE: I was contacted directly and was sent this product for free. I was asked to use it fully and to write an honest, unbiased review. My being given a free item in no way influenced my review of this product.
review image review image
on 6 September 2014
Grasping at straws, the plastic scratches easily if you scratch it (funny, that) and the top probably could have had a more robust method of staying on (like a screw). The lid won't just randomly fall off but it has the potential to do so if you knock it around a bit.

My old 2.5" USB3 adapter was quite an early generation and would not work in native USB3 ports.
What's a native USB3 port? Well, when motherbaords were initially released they had third-party controllers. TI was one such example. My old caddy would work with those. Nowadays, the USB3 ports have Intel controllers and my caddy would not work with those.

I had a quick scout around for a replacement. I didn't need anything substantial as it's just to hold data larger than an 8GB thumb drive would allow for. Initially I came across a similar product to this one that had pretty decent reviews. After a quick scout through to ensure that they weren't primarily negative I found someone referring to this model, which is optimised for SSDs. I had a standard 7200RPM drive but why not; for an extra pound or two I could have a caddy for an SSD somewhere down the line.
I've used this caddy with Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu 12.02, Ubuntu 14.04 and OSX Mavericks without issues, third-party drives or anything but a decent plug and play experience.

This product hasn't disppointed; I used my 120GB drive for some time and eventually replaced it with a 512GB SSD as I have a Windows and an Ubuntu virtual machine that run off of it now. The performance of both have been comparable to internal drives so very well done there for such a low-priced caddy. I haven't benchmarked the caddy (don't see the point) but I've had enough experience with mechanical drives, hybrid drives and SSDs to tell when the performance is visibly lacking. This isn't.
on 11 August 2014
NOTE: This review is for the 'Aluminium/Support UASP' enclosure, not 'Classical','New Release' or 'SSD Optimised'.

The reason I got this drive was mainly for is full sized USB 3.0 port, as well as its stylish but rugged looking metal construction. I have had 2 drives before now with the flatter 'Micro' USB ports and both have failed within a few months as the ports became damaged and then corrupted the data due to drop outs during transfers.

Initially I was surprised at the weight of the case, it felt rather light initially and I was a tad worried. But once I had opened up the case and began to install the HDD I had got for it [750GB, 7200RPM, WD Black] I was very pleased.

The USB port, 5V socket and the SATA port are secured to a PCB board that runs the entire length of the case. It supported on both sides by guide slots to prevent it from sagging. The HDD is slipped into the SATA port and then bolted directly to the PCB with 4 included countersink bolts to stop it moving. The holes are longer to allow for slightly different mounting points or SATA port designs so many drive will fit.

Once the HDD is attached, the whole unit slide into the case on the rails and fits snugly back into place. This is then secured to the metal case by 2 more bolts, that were rather difficult to fully tighten, locking the whole thing together.

With the HDD in the case still feels light but after knowing how its mounted and how stiff the construction is I am not worried in the slightest. The fine mesh on the sides is going to provide great cooling and the discrete blue LED's round the back are not overly bright as to annoy you at night. [I formatted the drive over night knowing it would take a while and was relieved when I didn't have to get up and drape something over the end to block out the lights. You could leave this to do nightly back ups with no worries.]

The only thing missing are some pads to stop the drive sliding around. The metal case means it shifts very easily on a glass or plastic surface so I will be getting some little feet for it. The LED's are also at the opposite end to the ports so depending on how you have it sitting on your desk you have to lean over to check its doing its business.

Overall, this is an amazing little unit. I finally have a back up solution that I actually trust!

EDIT: 28/08/14 - Took this to a friends and it wouldn't be recognised by his iMac (late 2009) but can be seen by by his Macbook Pro (late 2013) so it seems the Mac compatibility isn't as advertised.