5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down.
Published 12 months ago by Nikkie

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointing
I've just finished this and have been inspired to review it because it left me with such mixed feelings. This is the story of Leo, a Dom, who is starting to live again following the death of his lover, and sub, Gabe. One of the things Leo does is visit a restaurant that he'd often taken Gabe to. It's here that he sees Alex, a waiter.

Alex is shy and lacking in...
Published 12 months ago by SMG

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down., 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: An Unlocked Heart (Collars & Cuffs Stories Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I've read a few BDSM based books and i think the characters involved in this story are the ones I have connected to the most. I really loved them both, and the way their relationship started off slow and worked up to the BDSM scenes worked really well for the men in here. The secondary characters were stong and i enjoyed reading small sections from their POV as it added so much to the main characters and to the story line. I can't wait for the second book in this series to be released. I couldn't put this book down, i had to keep reading and got through it in a day. It's sweet, sexy and based in Manchester and being a Leeds girl it was nice to be able to picture the men being so close to home. Although i am happy it didn't contain any Northern style phrasing, LOL.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointing, 27 Aug 2013

Alex is shy and lacking in confidence. He's not completely in the closet, but he's only stuck his toe out of the door. Gradually, he and Leo get to know each other better. Alex grows in confidence and Leo learns to move on from his grief. There were no great surprises, in terms of plot, but it was very well done. Alex and Leo were convincing and interesting, and I liked the various other characters who appeared in the book. They were all very well done and the author managed to make them all distinctive. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable read.

So, why the mixed feelings? The blurb states that this book is set in Manchester. As I always do, I checked out the author and she's British. I was really looking forward to reading something with some local flavour. I knew it wasn't going to be 'Eee, bah gum, lad!' but I did expect it to feel British; a little seasoning of British slang, perhaps? If I hadn't been told that this story was set in England, and if Manchester hadn't been specifically mentioned in the text, I would have never guessed from reading this book. It could have been set in Anywheresville, USA and not a word would need to be changed (except for Manchester and a reference to Canal Street).

There was no British slang or colloquiallisms. Leo and Alex had asses not arses, and Leo lived in an apartment, jerking off instead of wanking. And we needed to be told, several times, that both men had intact foreskins. To borrow an Americanism; well, duh! I found myself to be incredibly disappointed by all this. I feel as if my reaction is a little unfair to the author who, otherwise, wrote a fine story, but I feel as if I got an American story and that wasn't what I'd been led to expect.

When I was at the UKMeet, one of the panels was about British authors dealing with American publishers. It's not just about spelling, but also how we use language. I don't consider myself particularly patriotic, but I do feel strongly about British English. I love it's diversity, I love the accents that can vary in places just a few miles apart. I also like American English--in America--and find the differences between the two endlessly fascinating.</span>

I don't understand the 'dumbing down' attitude that US publishers seem to have towards their readers. After all, we are talking about people who can read (and are proficient readers, not barely literate). Not only can they read, they can use the internet; most of them are reading eBooks they bought from Amazon. As a British reader, I cope all the time with unfamiliar slang. I use Google, if the context hasn't made it clear. I might be British, but I don't consider myself to be any more intelligent than the average reader in the US. Not only that, but I especially like books set in the US where there is a strong accent or a way of speaking particular to a certain area. For me, it all adds to the immersion.

This is a good book, but ignore the fact it's set in Manchester and you'll be fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this, 18 Aug 2013
Really loved the two main characters in this book. My heart when out to Alex and then Leo as they both worked through past and present problems. Highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant KC, just brilliant...., 4 Aug 2013
BevS (East Anglia, U.K.) - See all my reviews
My Goodreads review dated 14th July.....

Another winner and total keeper, I give this one 5 Golden Stars!!

I've been **happy dancing** around the room since reading this story. I fell in love with Leo and Alex myself, who were both leading unhappy and lonely lives when they first met, and to anyone who assumes that BDSM and romance can't and won't go together, I can only suggest that you read this book, it's AWESOME!!

4.0 out of 5 stars HOT HOT HOT!!!!!, 31 Aug 2014
Omg I loved this book im attending a book signing and the AMAZING K.C Wells is gonna be there this series came highly recommend and it turned out id already had books 1 & 2 sat on my kindle waiting 😃😃😃 I started it in bed on a night I was planning on early sleep!!!! Well that didn't happen I was awake at 4 am coz i couldn't not put it down I NEEDED to finish lol. I highly recommend this book and will be reading the rest of this series plus more books by K.C Wells 😆😆

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 6 April 2014
This was my first read from this author and won't be my last I loved Leo and Alex they were perfect for each other cannot wait to read Thomas 's story next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Romance with a mere kiss of BDSM, 20 Feb 2014
I really enjoyed this story. The nods to Deviations: Domination made it plain that Wells has excellent taste in her reading matter, and so do her characters. In fact, her characters like it so much that they refer to it and another work in the genre by a different author to plan some of their own scenes. Scenes which play out at Collars and Cuffs, which amusingly enough is actually the name of a real business. No, it is not in Manchester, nor is it a club of any sort. It is instead a men's retailer of shirts, ties and accessories based out of London. While ties are famously used for bondage purposes other than merely constricting the airflow of unlucky suit clad joes everywhere, I was rather disappointed to see from their online shop that they did not include leather harnesses, cuffs, or any other such things amongst their men's accessories. C'mon! Anyways, back to the Collars and Cuffs story I have just read. The chemistry is great, the lifestyle well portrayed, and the romance sweet without being cloying. Alex was a very believable young man living in a home with a woman who never wanted children and probably should have remained childless. Add in a father who is a bit of a doormat and a real s*** of a younger brother and you see the recipe for home life disaster. He's back home from university and while working at a decent paying job as a waiter, he obviously did not have enough saved up for a deposit on his own place, which he scrimps towards in a bid to leave the hell he lives in off of the work clock. He has been left extremely introverted however, as well as being a naturally submissive sort. Leo very much reminds me of a certain club owner in Deviations personality wise, but without being such a fusspot clothes wise and such. The chosen archetype works well within this story, playing the particular strengths against Alex' weaknesses so that when the two come together, it truly is a case of seeing two halves making a whole. Leo has a certain depth of emotion to him that also stands him apart from the more usual Dom types found in stories. His tenderness is unabashed, raising this from a BDSM piece of erotica to a love story featuring members of the lifestyle with the occasional scene being played. As such I really enjoyed the book, affirming the safe, sane, and consensual nature of responsible kink as it did. The uplifting nature of their love for each other and the redemption they found left a feeling of well being and happiness throughout. If you are not into kink, this book is unlikely to contain any content that you might find vastly upsetting.Iif you are, the lifestyle is treated with dignity and so you can sit back and enjoy the tender romance within. A win/win

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, lovely BDSM, 8 Oct 2013
Yuck, what a poncy cover this book has, not at all like the men it portrays within. Loved the story, all that wonderful vulnerability from Alex and the confidence of Leo. You just knew that Dorian was going to mess it all up and that love would eventually prevail, which of course it did. I liked how it made me feel, I knew Alex was going to get his heart stomped on and the angst was just lovely. It was a well written book but it had nothing at all Mancunian about it really, and I agree with another reviewer that it was quite Americanised. I know our brethren over the sea might find some of our quaint English words difficult to understand, but then what is the Urban Dictionary for?

A few pages from the end you knew a sequel was coming, which I have just purchased, but I know there will hardly be any Alex and Leo, as this new story is about Thomas. Hopefully I can enjoy this second book as much, and possibly we will have a few more 'ey up lad's. Northerner's don't speak like the people in this book, I know, I am one, we're much more brutal!

5.0 out of 5 stars 100%Cracking!!!, 25 Sep 2013
Absolutly loved this. I've been looking for a decent M/M author for a little while now and to find one who is including BDSM in the story for me was a big plus!!This book was everything I expected from a good author a love story with the usual bridges to cross from other sorces which efected both men. I think it also portayed the difficulties faced by a young gay man coming out and also the repercusions. Young people today are far more acceptable of gay lesbians than in my time, so it is good to see authors writing love stories-because they also have a love story to tell. Keep up the good work.

3.0 out of 5 stars No originality, 17 Oct 2013
Like 'Gettin' Played' this story is hackneyed and written to a formula rather than oozing with originality, emotion and personality. I will try to avoid other tales by K.C.Wells