1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent album, 30 July 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: About Farewell (MP3 Download)
This is a very fine album. I haven't heard Alela Diane before and a friend recommended her to me; I am mightily impressed.

The songs here are intensely personal, generally analysing and describing relationships as they begin and end (hence the title) and I find them exceptionally insightful, poignant and haunting. They remind me rather of Joni Mitchell even though they don't really sound like her, in that they have an individual sound and enduring quality and although they aren't especially catchy or instantly singable, they are musical and tuneful. They also have a depth which means they stay with you long after you have finished listening to them. That's an impressive attribute in a song and a lot of these, like Colorado Blue, the title track, Lost Land and Hazel Street among others do it for me.

Alela Diane has a lovely, slightly husky and haunting voice and can really give meaning to a song. She plays fairly simple guitar which is very effective and the production is excellent, with fine, subtle harmonies and delicate use of strings and other instruments which add real atmosphere and never swamp the songs.

I am now off to investigate Alela Diane's previous albums. If they are anything like as good as this I shall be delighted, and I recommend this very warmly to anyone who likes a thoughtful and often very beautiful song, very well performed by its composer. It's terrific.

ARRAY(0xaa481ce4)