5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book, 7 July 2012
This book should be compulsory on the inventory of every yacht. This little bible of close quarter manoeuvring is well presented, laid out, and illustrated - it's handy A5 size also makes it ideal for packing in your hand baggage and won't clutter up the cockpit. The opening section provides a clear and simple guide to all the forces that act on a yacht, explaining why boats behave as they do; I would recommend this as essential reading for anyone about to undertake a yachting course from day-skipper up. Speaking as a yacht-master who currently charters maybe 2-3 weeks a year, this manual is a real confidence-booster when bringing in an unfamiliar yacht in tricky conditions. Whilst you can obviously put a price on scraping your bower anchor down the topsides of your neighbour, what value can you put on the satisfaction of berthing your yacht first time in front of a baying crowd of onlookers? Priceless!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's essential!, 1 Sep 2012
N. Doyle (Aylesbury, England) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me by a friend - AFTER I scraped a boat on a pontoon during my first charter. Wish I had read this months or years ago! Everything in the review by JBK I agree with. No one should put to sea without it and it should be compulsory for all new skippers. I've read it through and through - my confidence has increased a lot and the anxiety about bringing the boat into a marina has abated hugely. Buy it - you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Each situation and variations explained and great diagrams., 10 April 2014
I really love it when an author tackles a subject as a text book without a lot of confusing waffle and excess words. This manual takes each situation and set of variables and then explains what to look for, what to do, and has clear and expert diagrams. Applause!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Manoeuvring: At Close Quarters Under Power (Kindle Edition)
Having just bought into my first yacht I was extremely nervous about manoeuvring in a marina or in an anchorage. Reading this book has given me loads of confidence and I can't wait to put it into practice. I will keep it handy ( on my tablet) on the boat for reference

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for the new sailor, 24 Jan 2014
Ive read this book through, and found it very clear. The docking examples are laid out in a way that enables you to quickly refer to it on deck while having your attention on what you are doing. Looking forward to using it next season. Only gets 4 starts as I knew most of the content before, and I had hoped for more advanced stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for close quarter handling, 2 Jan 2014
Can be tricky boat handling in tight spaces in marinas, especially if the tide and wind are acting upon your boat. This book explains with clear concise diagrams to walk through the correct procedures, and methods of escape if the manoeuvre goes pear shaped. Talks about prop wash, tight turns using forward and reverse engine without making too much way in a tight marina channel. I must on board all small boats.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for beginners, 14 Nov 2012
Think anyone with experience in common situations probably won't learn much - but well presented and easy to pick up for people up to Day Skipper level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 27 Aug 2012
As an infrequent yachtsman this book is going to give me so much more confidence when I come to manoeuvring the next boat I charter. Diagrams are clear and it is easy to find the right page for the particular circumstances you find yourself in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 28 Dec 2011
This is a good book. It has useful clear information and is easy to read. It was a present for my dad and he loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best I have seen, 18 Aug 2014
Helped with my manoevering. Illustrations good and nice explanations