4.0 out of 5 stars The origins Harry's Code come to the fore
Possible Spoilers

Published 13 months ago by Susman

1.0 out of 5 stars A confused mess with a dissatisfying ending
This review contains spoilers and must be taken in context. I have watched all of Dexter's entire box sets from beginning to end, so I can only review S8 as a concluding part to a long running saga. I cannot review this without giving away the plot, or without sounding annoyed, so be warned.

Let's be clear: This season was the last chance for the writers to...
Published 9 months ago by O. Southwood

4.0 out of 5 stars The origins Harry's Code come to the fore, 19 Jan. 2014
Susman "Sussman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Possible Spoilers

It's very hard for me to mark down such an excellent series such as Dexter and maybe as a fan I should not have built up my expectations. There are three principal themes that season 8 follows, as we see Dexter forced to revisit his past when he comes across Dr Evelyn Vogel, a woman who claims to have structured the code for him alongside Dexter's father Harry. The season deals with a new serial killer in Miami that, almost surgically removes pieces of the victims brains. Lastly we see Debra beginning to self-destruct as she is unable to deal with the fact that she murdered LaGuerta - who was also mentor and friend?

I am sorry to say that Quinn's narrative, seems to be almost a filler if not a distraction here, since season 7 the Quinn character seems hold little or no worth as an associated character in Dexter. This is a season where the intricate machinations of the `code' are looked at. Some of the season's 12 episodes are good while others are not so good. However, if I were rating the overall series I would, without doubt give the series 5 stars - as it stands I would give this last season 4

4.0 out of 5 stars goodbye our fav serial killer, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
so this is.it .no more dexter .nooo!! .well all good things have to come to a end eventually .what a great run he has had from the ice truck killer to his sister shooting dead lt guerta.This season deals with the aftermath of debs killing and her downward spiral into darkness from what she had done this had to be some of jennifer carpenters best acting ..debs and her constant f bombs aplenty in this season .okay so gettin down to it okay its not.the best finale ever and i think for a show as great as dexter has been in consistency i would have expected better but a decline in quality isnt enough to say its a bad season 4/5

1.0 out of 5 stars A confused mess with a dissatisfying ending, 12 May 2014

Let's be clear: This season was the last chance for the writers to redeem themselves, to restore the tension, mystery, intrigue and suspense to Dexter and pull everything together in a satisfying concluding act that answered the key question of what happens when Dexter finally gets exposed. The death of a key person at the end of S7 was a perfect trigger for the net to close in on Dexter and for Miami Metro to turn Miami upside down looking for the killer.

The opening two episodes of S8 seemed to be nicely pushing us toward a manhunt with Dexter in the spotlight, with the smart and unflappable Dr. Vogel seemingly teasing Dexter with hints and suspicions. So it seemed that S8 would become a brilliant test of Dexter's ability to deflect suspicion while trying to survive long enough to kill a cruel bad guy.

But then the writers decided not to bother. Instead they brought back Hannah and the pathetic fatal attraction storyline. Then they revealed this season's killer to be a bit-part character who'd only spoke two lines. (At this point it became clear they were making it up as they went along). Then they introduced a possible protege for Dexter (a teenage killer) to teach 'the code'... but then killed him, off-screen, for no reason. Then they killed Vogel, on-screen, for no reason. Then they killed Debs, off-screen, for no reason. Then they killed the sub plots for Angel, Masuka and Quinn by simply abandoning them mid-story and never mentioning them again. Then they had Dexter fake his own death and abandon his son for NO GOOD REASON AT ALL having built up the fact he loves his son.

This whole season felt like a desperate grab for ideas, none of which stuck, and all of which were aborted in later episodes. The very end was terrible and made no sense at all. If only they'd piked just ONE idea and stuck with it, this could have worked. I can imagine the writers' meetings, with everyone having the "best" idea of their own, and the chief writer saying, "Calm down lads, we'll find a way to use them all. Now let's go for a beer."

People talk about how awful this final season was, or that it started going bad as early as S6, but for me it went wrong in S7 when Hannah was introduced. She destroyed the whole premise of Dexter. She gave him too much humanity and emotion. She turned him into a simpering fool who's nothing more than a lovelorn puppy. She also provided him a way out of trouble, somebody to confide in and keep his secrets. She was somebody for him to lust after, which is totally out of character for him. Dexter is a killer not a lover! And then we are asked to care less whether this woman escapes justice and we have to see Dexter try and protect her. No! We don't want this! She ought not to be in this series at all. Get rid of her! Every moment she appears is a moment of worsening quality of Dexter.

There are other mistakes too. The utter refusal to acknowledge or allude to Quinn's earlier suspicion of Dexter (in S5) is a major irritation. With Quinn randomly falling back in love with Debs (who incidentally murdered the police chief and got away with it) it seemed the perfect point to ramp up the pressure on Dexter... But no. Instead it's just a sub-plot romance between Debs and Quinn, with Dexter not involved at all. Quinn seems to be best friends with Dexter in this season and it's not realistic at all. They should have made Quinn suspicious again and work with Vogel to bring him down.

The S7 cliffhanger is conveniently glossed over, nobody suspects Debs or Dexter of anything, and it quickly becomes obvious that it will stay that way. It felt like even if Dex and Debs walked into Miami Metro shouting their guilt to the rafters, nobody would bat an eyelid.

The utter anti-climax of Debs' death is quite frankly ridiculous. She effectively dies off-screen (goes brain dead in a coma) and then Dexter switches off the life support in secret while the doctors are distracted by a big storm. Eh? Seriously? Is that the best they could come up with? It would have taken guts for the writers to have Deb confess everything and land Dexter in trouble, but no, the writers had no guts.

The very final scene? All I can say is just, what the hell is that all about? Dexter having killed his sister, faked his death and abandoned his son to the care of a serial killer who's fled the country, sits in an unexplained log cabin and stares into camera looking miserable. I like to think he's silently apologising on behalf of the writers for the mess he's made us watch. If only he'd shrugged his shoulders, it would have been perfect.

This final season was a wasted opportunity.

My perfect final season would have gone something like this: Dr. Vogel appears and (wrongly) suspects Dexter of being the Brain Surgeon, puts him under pressure and then finds something linking him to other killings in the past. Quinn too begins to reignite his own suspicions from S5 and the two of them go to Angel with their concerns. Angel dismisses them but then he begins to suspect Deb and puts two and two together. Vogel pursues Dexter and using her psychologist skill gets him to accidentally confess. Dexter takes the blame for LaGuerta's death and clears Deb of any trouble. He then spends the final 3 episodes trying to escape the team. In a final shoot-out, Dexter ends up dying in front of Harrison who sits in a pool of blood and is destined to become the new Dexter. Debs resuces him and brings him up as her own. The End. (And no Hannah anywhere to be seen).

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing series, but fitting end to Dexter., 7 April 2014
After a very annoying friend to me "it's a really good serial, but the ending is RUBBISH!!" I was not anticipating greatness from series 8. But at the point they said this, I was already in series 4, addicted to Dexter, and so HAD to get to the end no matter what!!
I agree that series 8 was disappointing - it was padded out, had some unbelievable storylines, and the episodes were loosly linked (rather than the gripping plot lines of series 1,3 and 6).
However, I thought that the way things ended for Dexter was very fitting, realistic and satisfying.
Everyone hates the end. We all have a way that we want things to turn out - usually the 'happily ever after' ending is favoured by most. If we don't get the ending WE want, we often feel dissatisfied with the series as a whole. However.....
**SPOILERS FROM HERE**
For one terrible moment, I thought that Dexter was about to leap into the water, and join Deb in her watery grave so that they could be together for ever.
For me, that would have been the worst possible ending, as I do not believe Dexter would have ever ended his own life.
To have Dexter turn into an emotionless, empty shell at the loss of his sister was entirely the right ending.
I agree with the writers that Deb was the centre point of his existence, and that whilst training him in 'the code', Harry also taught him to care for her above all things. It was Harry's legacy to Deb that she would always be safe, in what he knew to be a cruel and violent world.
Dexter could not cope with a world without his sister. The code lost all meaning, as did the human side of him that allowed him to love Hannah and Harrison. He shut down, and for the first time became a true psychopath.

We get so many hints about this through earlier series'. Dexter ALWAYS chooses Deb, and her safety, above all other things.....the obvious time when he hands Hannah over to the police to protect Deb, the many times he abandons Harrison to ensure Deb is safe, the way that he always drops everything to be at her side. We were warned constantly that Deb was the key to his existence, right from series one. So why be surprised that without her, the human side of Dexter can no longer function? The pain he would have felt at Deb's loss would simply have been too much to bear. The human Dexter died with Deb as he put her into the sea.

The only part that I really didn't agree with is that Dexter would have sent Harrison off into the sunset with Hannah the poisoner. I believe he would have made sure (at all times) that Harrison was safe, and his future was secure. I know that when they parted at the bus station, Dexter had no idea that Deb would die. But he was a man who always calculated risk, and would have known there was a chance that things could go wrong. I think he would have brought Harrison back, and then abandoned him to Jamie and Patitsta (a safe place) when he shut down emotionally. Dexter never wanted Harrison to be affected by the psyche of a serial killer. He wanted him to have the life that HE never could. Hannah, a fellow killer, was NOT the person whom Dexter would have entrusted with the upbringing of his precious son.
On that note, I felt Hannah was the only unbelievable character in the series. A violent woman, capable of frenzied stabbings as well as cool, calm poisonings would never have turned into the sugary sweet, trustworthy lover we saw at the end. The writers let us down here.
So, I conclude .... A fitting end point to a fantastic character...... and a tiny window to bring a series 9 out in the future?!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 29 Mar. 2014
Brian Sheeran "Brian S" (Warrington, Greater Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
A terrible end to what, at best, had been fine entertainment. This went on for too long. And this last season is a grind to get through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Dexter the final Chapter, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole Dexter experience. I didn't manage to see it all on TV but bought the complete series box sets and watched them back to back which I found useful to maintain the thread.
It was a shame the series ended but what a fabulous show it was!
I look forward to seeing the cast in other projects as I am sure they will be just as watchable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series!, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
I never thought that I could ever enjoy a series with a serial killer as the hero but I was glued to it - and so were my daughter and son-in-law. They couldn`t wait for me to finish a season to pass it on to them! We were all satisfied with the conclusion of the final season. My daughter said that she would watch the whole series again!

1.0 out of 5 stars Mega dissapointment, 7 Jun. 2014
Mr. Graham Macneilage "grahamteuchter" (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
Absolute garbage last season. Pains me to say it as I absolutely loved this show. I hope one day, somehow, they just re-do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-see for Dexter fans, 15 May 2014
I won't give the ending away but I was a little bit disappointed by it, however the series itself was great.
The seller sent the dvd very quickly and I would definitely use them again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome ending!, 12 May 2014
A. Black (uk) - See all my reviews
I felt that the finale to the series of Dexter to be absolutely fantastic! I'm not going to give any spoilers but the ending I felt just typified the struggle that Dexter was experiencing throughout the whole series. The continuous decisions he had to face and the repercussions of those decisions. I do have to say though that Season 8 in itself was a little flat and certain aspects were a bit contrived and lacked a bit of realism and at one point was a little too humorous (though it did make me laugh!) as compared to previous seasons. However, I was blown away with the final episode. Very powerful! Very thought provoking! Very gritty! It is rare that you get a series with a really good ending! I also have to say that Michael C Hall is superb! He is a very talented actor and IS Dexter Morgan. The whole series was very well written, well directed and well-acted. I will miss seeing one of my favourites until I start watching from the begining that is!

Dexter - The Final Season [DVD]
Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] by Michael C. Hall (DVD - 2013)