4.0 out of 5 stars About Harry's Code
Published 2 months ago by Sussman

3.0 out of 5 stars A series too many?
SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW

Published 3 months ago by Mr. A. Whiteside

3.0 out of 5 stars A series too many?, 15 Jan 2014
Mr. A. Whiteside "tonyjackie3" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW

I have followed Dexter from the very start and some of the eight series have been a mixed bag. Season 4 was without doubt the best of the lot and featured the Trinity killer. It was a terrific series. Series 1 was great and I liked series 5 as well with the character of Lumen making a memorable impact. I felt that series 6 and 7 were OK but not great and the 12 episodes seemed to be padded out. The final series is what I am supposed to be reviewing here so I will concentrate on that.

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD.

The series was too long winded and even a little boring in places and most of the filler stories such as Vince suddenly finding out he was a Father added nothing at all. Dexter changed too much and all because of dreary Hannah. Letting off the brain surgeon would never had happened and he just didn't seem like the same character that we had grown to have a grudging respect for and things started to go wrong in season 7. The main cast were great as usual but a couple of guest spots weren't too good. Charlotte Rampling was hit and miss as Dr Vogel and Julian Sands was awful as Hannah's husband. I just felt that the series was losing it's way and developed into a soap opera. There was one instance in the final episode when little Harrison turned to Hannah and said 'I love you Hannah' and I cringed at the way it felt so out of place. The big problem for me was the character of Hannah ever since she appeared in season 7. She was one of the least plausable character's in the shows history. A much wanted criminal with several murders to her credit, she turns up as bold as brass, no disguise, not much attempt to hide, she was a weakness in my opinion and not the type of person that Dexter would sacrifice everything for. Dexter fell head over heels in love with her and Dexter in love meant Dexter becoming boring as his character started to change. I just didn't warm to Hannah and Lumen was a much better and stronger character. It's funny that for the first 3 or so series I couldn't stand Debra but by the end she was pretty much my favourite person in the show and huge credit to Jennifer Carpenter for consistantly great performances. Now I will give my take on the ending and some of it worked and a lot of it didn't. My biggest gripe was Hannah escaping and the only one to emerge virtually unscathed. She was a killer of innocent people and quite annoying a lot of the time. She didn't even seem too bothered when she read about Dexter's 'death'. Why kill off poor old tortured Debra in an almost underwhelming way just when she had hope in her life and what was that all about with Dexter dumping her in the ocean, a place that he reserves for the scum of the earth. Given the context of how things panned out, I think they did the right thing with Dexter choosing to live a tortured and empty life as punishment for the lives he had ruined. The easy way out would have been for him to throw himself off his boat to his doom but the choice to carry on living and to suffer felt correct, at least to me.

So the ending was frustrating but not a complete disaster. It certainly wasn't perfect but not quite as dreadful as so many people think it was. I would rather Hannah had been caught and arrested and maybe Dexter and Deb to have a suicide pact with both administering a fatal injection to each other at the same time. The writers had obviously decided that she wouldn't survive and this would have been a better way than the awful way they eventually killed off Debs in this episode. Harrison? I guess he would have gone off to live with Rita's parents. Blimey, I've rambled on a bit, sorry about that. To conclude then, Dexter was a programme that I will remember with fondness but it went on for maybe a couple of series too many. Micheal C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter made a great couple with fabulous chemistry and their acting was always spot on. It wasn't the ending I wanted but it did need to be bleak I suppose.

4.0 out of 5 stars About Harry's Code, 19 Jan 2014
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
It’s very hard for me to mark down such an excellent series such as Dexter and maybe as a fan I should not have built up my expectations. There are three principle themes that season 8 follows, as we see Dexter forced to revisit his past when he comes across Dr Evelyn Vogel, a woman who claims to have structured the code for him alongside Dexter’s father Harry. The season deals with a new serial killer in Miami that, almost surgically removes pieces of the victims brains. Lastly we see Debra beginning to self-destruct as she is unable to deal with the fact that she murdered LaGuerta – who was also mentor and friend?

I am sorry to say that Quinn’s narrative, seems to be almost a filler if not a distraction here, since season 7 the Quinn character seems hold little or no worth as an associated character in Dexter. This is a season where the intricate machinations of the ‘code’ are looked at. Some of the season’s 12 episodes are good while others are not so good. However, if I were rating the overall series I would, without doubt give the series 5 stars – as it stands I would give this last season 4

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end (CONTAINS SPOILERS), 12 Mar 2014
P. Maxey - See all my reviews
CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!

6 months late to the party (I just saw the finale) and no ones ever going to read this, but hey I want to say my bit on the end of Dexter.

To all that say Dexter didn't change, that Dexter was still Dexter, that's true right up to the point that Deb dies, at that stage he finally does change and realise that what he's wanted for 8 seasons, to live a normal life is not actually possible. Some people see that he chooses a life of solitude over being with Hannah as a sign that he's not changed, but it's the exact opposite it's because he's changed that he knows that if he goes to Argentina sooner or later those he cares about will come to a bad end, so he chooses to be alone and away from his son and Hannah, finally he puts someone ahead of his own needs, that's the character arc right there.

The other aspect of course is that he's punishing himself for Debs death, perhaps for all that he's done. You get the sense that there's no Harry in this new life of his, but equally there's no dark passenger either, there's just an empty shell.

Yes it's a very bleak ending, and might come as a surprise because of the sometimes comedic elements that sprung up every now and again in Dexter, but ultimately it's the most fitting ending and one that's been sign posted right from the start.

3.0 out of 5 stars Character driven season, 24 Sep 2013
Dexter was about a journey. The journey of the protagonist, from emotionless monster to fully emotional human being. Each year took him a step forward in that journey, with each experience Dexter got closer to his ultimate goal. By the time season 8 arrived he was pretty much there. At this stage the series could have gone a couple of ways: go for a plot based, crowd pleasing high drama manhunt season going out with a bang, or, explore the character now that his journey to humanity was almost complete. Perhaps bravely, perhaps stupidly, the writers decided to focus on the character. The result is a somewhat unsatisfying weak season that's low on drama. Yet I respect their decision, despite the many negativity reactions to the season, personally I can still appreciate it for what it is. We see Dexter dealing with things emotionally, but not doing a very good job at it. This results is him making stupid decisions, and struggling to stay in control. It makes for frustrating viewing at times, but what else would you expect from someone who is relatively new at this human emotions stuff? Add to that the usual plot holes and leaps of faith, the usual padding in the form of the secondary characters and the end result is something that feels lethargic and unfocused. Moving on from the main body of the season and focusing on Dexter's ultimate fate, I'd say it is tragic and in my opinion a perfect way to end the series. All in all, a very good series, with highs and lows (this season would probably count as one of the lows), but one that as a whole I will look back on with great fondness.

5.0 out of 5 stars oooouuuugggghhhhh!!!!!, 14 Mar 2014
Helen D. Smart "Helen" (Burton upon Trent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
What an ending, I miss Dexter. I loved the whole series and this is an excellent close. You know you have to get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best series I've ever seen, 9 Mar 2014
Brilliant show. The best show I've ever watched. I'm gutted that I'm on the last season. Will be lost without Dexter!

4.0 out of 5 stars Make up your own mind, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
Based on some of the negative reviews, I almost never bought the final series of Dexter.
Luckily, my wife persuaded me and I'm very glad she did.
It's certainly not perfect. Season 8 contains plenty of the usual hard to swallow moments but I doubt if anyone would be buying this expecting total plausibility. This is entertainment not gritty reality.
There are also a few just plain stupid bits that did make me want to give the scriptwriters a good slapping. For instance, a certain character is on all kinds of 'most wanted' lists - anyone with a brain cell would at least think of cutting/dyeing their hair (or wearing a hat) but no... none of the characters involved ever think to suggest this.
On the other hand, I know some reviewers have said the humour is missing from this series. I didn't get that at all. It's rarely laugh out loud funny but this is (very) black humour and it definitely kept me amused.
The tension is also kept ramped up throughout the series.
Some also moaned about the product placement. Sure, everyone is using iPhones and Apple laptops. So what? I'm not going to switch to Apple just because Dexter uses their products. Just ignore it and get on with following the story.
Overall, this may not be to the same standards as Series One and Two but it's definitely worth watching. Don't be put off by the critics. You'll have to make up your own mind about the ending. I'm saying nothing...

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst final season ever, 29 Nov 2013
MacDee (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
The penultimate season was poor by any standards, but this final one sinks to a new low. Laughable, weak plotline which even drags in Charlotte Rampling in an attempt to make it seem more intellectually stimulating; Americans thinks anyone with a posh British accent is intelligent. The way Dexter gets away with just about anything is reminiscent of the Batman TV series of the 60's/70's - the one were every episode ends with an impossible situation for Batman and Robin to escape from. Of course, some ridiculous event happens to save them and Dexter can similarly pull a rabbit out of the hat at random. He could now seemingly murder the President and get away with it; the detectives he works with are laughably inept and believe literally everything he says. Throw in a joke US Marshall, who is even more stupid than the police, and what you get is an overblown mess, with holes in the 'plot' so big that you could drive a bus through them.

Undoubtedly the most laughable bit of the whole shambles is the ending. Trying to replicate a dramatic, big budget Hollywood-style ending they fail so poorly that I laughed out loud. Without doubt the worst final season I have ever seen - the producer(s), especially Michael C Hall, should have watched Breaking Bad's final season to see how it is done properly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
This season contains the worst writing and production of any drama I've watched. To say this season feels like a bad fan fiction would be insulting to fan fiction - I'm sure pretty much any Dexter fan could have written a stronger season than this.

It is laughable to think back to when the '2 season master plan' was announced after the sixth season ended. We all thought this meant that the endgame arc would be spread over a couple of seasons and that S7 and S8 would be closely related. The only thing that links the 7th and 8th season is the weakest element from the 7th - Hannah McKay. Somehow this character manages to be even duller than she was in S7 - although she does give us a few unintentionally comedic moments as the world's most moronic fugitive.

Every previous season of Dexter has had a clear main storyline - Trinity, Barrel Girls, Miguel etc... This season doesn't really have one. At the beginning of the season it appears that the main storyline is going to revolve around a new character Dr Evelyn Vogel, but in the end this character only really serves to introduce a woefully under developed antagonist, the 'Brain Surgeon'.

Instead of opting to use the more obvious and compelling storyline of Dexter's secret finally being exposed (You know, the one practically everyone wanted?) this season instead goes from 'Dexter meets someone who knows his secret' to 'Dexter must track down a new serial killer' to 'Dexter must find a way to control his depressed/angry sister' to 'Dexter gets a protege' to 'Dexter reunites with love interest' back to 'Dexter must track down serial killer' and then finally to 'Dexter plans to leave country'. An unfocused mess!

Unfortunately secondary characters not getting much to do is something that has plagued Dexter for years. This season has particularly dire offerings. Filler subplots include Masuka discovering he has a daughter, Angel debating whether or not to promote Quinn, Quinn blowing yet another relationship and Deb helping her new boss to expose a cheater. Most of these plots simply go nowhere or are just plain forgotten about. This was the final season! There should have been minimal/no filler...

It's not just the writing that seems amateur - the production/editing falls below the standard we've come to expect from this show. I can only assume this season was rushed (it aired months before Dexter's traditional calendar slot). The whole thing gives off a vibe that no one really cared about what they were making.

So after we've suffered through all this we come to the finale. Did it deliver? You guessed it - No. Without wanting to spoil too much it left me feeling... well nothing, apart from maybe glad that I no longer had to invest any time in this show.

The only reason I can really see for paying money for this turd of a season is purely to complete the set. Those involved with the making of this final season (particularly the writers) should feel ashamed of themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars the final, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
I was waiting for the final season after the great other seasons and had a lot of expectations.
Even when the screenwriters were able to surprise me with the plot of the series it did not really match my expectations.
It was good but not as good as I hoped.
But at all it earned 4 stars.

ARRAY(0xb0e486a8)

Dexter - The Final Season [DVD]
Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] by Michael C. Hall (DVD - 2013)
17.00