5.0 out of 5 stars A must-see for Dexter fans
I won't give the ending away but I was a little bit disappointed by it, however the series itself was great.
The seller sent the dvd very quickly and I would definitely use them again.
Published 2 months ago by Laura

1.0 out of 5 stars Mega dissapointment
Absolute garbage last season. Pains me to say it as I absolutely loved this show. I hope one day, somehow, they just re-do it.
Published 1 month ago by Mr. Graham Macneilage

1.0 out of 5 stars Mega dissapointment, 7 Jun 2014
Mr. Graham Macneilage "grahamteuchter" (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing series, but fitting end to Dexter., 7 April 2014
After a very annoying friend to me "it's a really good serial, but the ending is RUBBISH!!" I was not anticipating greatness from series 8. But at the point they said this, I was already in series 4, addicted to Dexter, and so HAD to get to the end no matter what!!
I agree that series 8 was disappointing - it was padded out, had some unbelievable storylines, and the episodes were loosly linked (rather than the gripping plot lines of series 1,3 and 6).
However, I thought that the way things ended for Dexter was very fitting, realistic and satisfying.
Everyone hates the end. We all have a way that we want things to turn out - usually the 'happily ever after' ending is favoured by most. If we don't get the ending WE want, we often feel dissatisfied with the series as a whole. However.....
**SPOILERS FROM HERE**
For one terrible moment, I thought that Dexter was about to leap into the water, and join Deb in her watery grave so that they could be together for ever.
For me, that would have been the worst possible ending, as I do not believe Dexter would have ever ended his own life.
To have Dexter turn into an emotionless, empty shell at the loss of his sister was entirely the right ending.
I agree with the writers that Deb was the centre point of his existence, and that whilst training him in 'the code', Harry also taught him to care for her above all things. It was Harry's legacy to Deb that she would always be safe, in what he knew to be a cruel and violent world.
Dexter could not cope with a world without his sister. The code lost all meaning, as did the human side of him that allowed him to love Hannah and Harrison. He shut down, and for the first time became a true psychopath.

We get so many hints about this through earlier series'. Dexter ALWAYS chooses Deb, and her safety, above all other things.....the obvious time when he hands Hannah over to the police to protect Deb, the many times he abandons Harrison to ensure Deb is safe, the way that he always drops everything to be at her side. We were warned constantly that Deb was the key to his existence, right from series one. So why be surprised that without her, the human side of Dexter can no longer function? The pain he would have felt at Deb's loss would simply have been too much to bear. The human Dexter died with Deb as he put her into the sea.

The only part that I really didn't agree with is that Dexter would have sent Harrison off into the sunset with Hannah the poisoner. I believe he would have made sure (at all times) that Harrison was safe, and his future was secure. I know that when they parted at the bus station, Dexter had no idea that Deb would die. But he was a man who always calculated risk, and would have known there was a chance that things could go wrong. I think he would have brought Harrison back, and then abandoned him to Jamie and Patitsta (a safe place) when he shut down emotionally. Dexter never wanted Harrison to be affected by the psyche of a serial killer. He wanted him to have the life that HE never could. Hannah, a fellow killer, was NOT the person whom Dexter would have entrusted with the upbringing of his precious son.
On that note, I felt Hannah was the only unbelievable character in the series. A violent woman, capable of frenzied stabbings as well as cool, calm poisonings would never have turned into the sugary sweet, trustworthy lover we saw at the end. The writers let us down here.
So, I conclude .... A fitting end point to a fantastic character...... and a tiny window to bring a series 9 out in the future?!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-see for Dexter fans, 15 May 2014
The seller sent the dvd very quickly and I would definitely use them again.

4.0 out of 5 stars About Harry's Code, 19 Jan 2014
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
It’s very hard for me to mark down such an excellent series such as Dexter and maybe as a fan I should not have built up my expectations. There are three principle themes that season 8 follows, as we see Dexter forced to revisit his past when he comes across Dr Evelyn Vogel, a woman who claims to have structured the code for him alongside Dexter’s father Harry. The season deals with a new serial killer in Miami that, almost surgically removes pieces of the victims brains. Lastly we see Debra beginning to self-destruct as she is unable to deal with the fact that she murdered LaGuerta – who was also mentor and friend?

I am sorry to say that Quinn’s narrative, seems to be almost a filler if not a distraction here, since season 7 the Quinn character seems hold little or no worth as an associated character in Dexter. This is a season where the intricate machinations of the ‘code’ are looked at. Some of the season’s 12 episodes are good while others are not so good. However, if I were rating the overall series I would, without doubt give the series 5 stars – as it stands I would give this last season 4

3.0 out of 5 stars Character driven season, 24 Sep 2013
Dexter was about a journey. The journey of the protagonist, from emotionless monster to fully emotional human being. Each year took him a step forward in that journey, with each experience Dexter got closer to his ultimate goal. By the time season 8 arrived he was pretty much there. At this stage the series could have gone a couple of ways: go for a plot based, crowd pleasing high drama manhunt season going out with a bang, or, explore the character now that his journey to humanity was almost complete. Perhaps bravely, perhaps stupidly, the writers decided to focus on the character. The result is a somewhat unsatisfying weak season that's low on drama. Yet I respect their decision, despite the many negativity reactions to the season, personally I can still appreciate it for what it is. We see Dexter dealing with things emotionally, but not doing a very good job at it. This results is him making stupid decisions, and struggling to stay in control. It makes for frustrating viewing at times, but what else would you expect from someone who is relatively new at this human emotions stuff? Add to that the usual plot holes and leaps of faith, the usual padding in the form of the secondary characters and the end result is something that feels lethargic and unfocused. Moving on from the main body of the season and focusing on Dexter's ultimate fate, I'd say it is tragic and in my opinion a perfect way to end the series. All in all, a very good series, with highs and lows (this season would probably count as one of the lows), but one that as a whole I will look back on with great fondness.

5.0 out of 5 stars oooouuuugggghhhhh!!!!!, 14 Mar 2014
Helen D. Smart "Helen" (Burton upon Trent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
What an ending, I miss Dexter. I loved the whole series and this is an excellent close. You know you have to get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best series I've ever seen, 9 Mar 2014
Brilliant show. The best show I've ever watched. I'm gutted that I'm on the last season. Will be lost without Dexter!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end (CONTAINS SPOILERS), 12 Mar 2014
P. Maxey - See all my reviews
CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!

6 months late to the party (I just saw the finale) and no ones ever going to read this, but hey I want to say my bit on the end of Dexter.

To all that say Dexter didn't change, that Dexter was still Dexter, that's true right up to the point that Deb dies, at that stage he finally does change and realise that what he's wanted for 8 seasons, to live a normal life is not actually possible. Some people see that he chooses a life of solitude over being with Hannah as a sign that he's not changed, but it's the exact opposite it's because he's changed that he knows that if he goes to Argentina sooner or later those he cares about will come to a bad end, so he chooses to be alone and away from his son and Hannah, finally he puts someone ahead of his own needs, that's the character arc right there.

The other aspect of course is that he's punishing himself for Debs death, perhaps for all that he's done. You get the sense that there's no Harry in this new life of his, but equally there's no dark passenger either, there's just an empty shell.

Yes it's a very bleak ending, and might come as a surprise because of the sometimes comedic elements that sprung up every now and again in Dexter, but ultimately it's the most fitting ending and one that's been sign posted right from the start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Make up your own mind, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] (DVD)
Based on some of the negative reviews, I almost never bought the final series of Dexter.
Luckily, my wife persuaded me and I'm very glad she did.
It's certainly not perfect. Season 8 contains plenty of the usual hard to swallow moments but I doubt if anyone would be buying this expecting total plausibility. This is entertainment not gritty reality.
There are also a few just plain stupid bits that did make me want to give the scriptwriters a good slapping. For instance, a certain character is on all kinds of 'most wanted' lists - anyone with a brain cell would at least think of cutting/dyeing their hair (or wearing a hat) but no... none of the characters involved ever think to suggest this.
On the other hand, I know some reviewers have said the humour is missing from this series. I didn't get that at all. It's rarely laugh out loud funny but this is (very) black humour and it definitely kept me amused.
The tension is also kept ramped up throughout the series.
Some also moaned about the product placement. Sure, everyone is using iPhones and Apple laptops. So what? I'm not going to switch to Apple just because Dexter uses their products. Just ignore it and get on with following the story.
Overall, this may not be to the same standards as Series One and Two but it's definitely worth watching. Don't be put off by the critics. You'll have to make up your own mind about the ending. I'm saying nothing...

3.0 out of 5 stars A series too many?, 15 Jan 2014
Mr. A. Whiteside "tonyjackie3" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW

I have followed Dexter from the very start and some of the eight series have been a mixed bag. Season 4 was without doubt the best of the lot and featured the Trinity killer. It was a terrific series. Series 1 was great and I liked series 5 as well with the character of Lumen making a memorable impact. I felt that series 6 and 7 were OK but not great and the 12 episodes seemed to be padded out. The final series is what I am supposed to be reviewing here so I will concentrate on that.

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD.

The series was too long winded and even a little boring in places and most of the filler stories such as Vince suddenly finding out he was a Father added nothing at all. Dexter changed too much and all because of dreary Hannah. Letting off the brain surgeon would never had happened and he just didn't seem like the same character that we had grown to have a grudging respect for and things started to go wrong in season 7. The main cast were great as usual but a couple of guest spots weren't too good. Charlotte Rampling was hit and miss as Dr Vogel and Julian Sands was awful as Hannah's husband. I just felt that the series was losing it's way and developed into a soap opera. There was one instance in the final episode when little Harrison turned to Hannah and said 'I love you Hannah' and I cringed at the way it felt so out of place. The big problem for me was the character of Hannah ever since she appeared in season 7. She was one of the least plausable character's in the shows history. A much wanted criminal with several murders to her credit, she turns up as bold as brass, no disguise, not much attempt to hide, she was a weakness in my opinion and not the type of person that Dexter would sacrifice everything for. Dexter fell head over heels in love with her and Dexter in love meant Dexter becoming boring as his character started to change. I just didn't warm to Hannah and Lumen was a much better and stronger character. It's funny that for the first 3 or so series I couldn't stand Debra but by the end she was pretty much my favourite person in the show and huge credit to Jennifer Carpenter for consistantly great performances. Now I will give my take on the ending and some of it worked and a lot of it didn't. My biggest gripe was Hannah escaping and the only one to emerge virtually unscathed. She was a killer of innocent people and quite annoying a lot of the time. She didn't even seem too bothered when she read about Dexter's 'death'. Why kill off poor old tortured Debra in an almost underwhelming way just when she had hope in her life and what was that all about with Dexter dumping her in the ocean, a place that he reserves for the scum of the earth. Given the context of how things panned out, I think they did the right thing with Dexter choosing to live a tortured and empty life as punishment for the lives he had ruined. The easy way out would have been for him to throw himself off his boat to his doom but the choice to carry on living and to suffer felt correct, at least to me.

So the ending was frustrating but not a complete disaster. It certainly wasn't perfect but not quite as dreadful as so many people think it was. I would rather Hannah had been caught and arrested and maybe Dexter and Deb to have a suicide pact with both administering a fatal injection to each other at the same time. The writers had obviously decided that she wouldn't survive and this would have been a better way than the awful way they eventually killed off Debs in this episode. Harrison? I guess he would have gone off to live with Rita's parents. Blimey, I've rambled on a bit, sorry about that. To conclude then, Dexter was a programme that I will remember with fondness but it went on for maybe a couple of series too many. Micheal C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter made a great couple with fabulous chemistry and their acting was always spot on. It wasn't the ending I wanted but it did need to be bleak I suppose.

Dexter - The Final Season [DVD]
Dexter - The Final Season [DVD] by Michael C. Hall (DVD - 2013)
16.25