on 5 October 2013
I had the one day delivery option, which was as good as its word. I had decided to upgrade from a Packard Bell machine I'd had for 6 years, running vista, on a quite well specified machine. It wasn't suitable for running Windows 8, ergo the new machine. But it really did take my breath away, the speed with which this unit does anything. when you are used to watching the progress lines creep slowly across the screen as a software Dvd loads up, then to see them sweep gracefully across the screen in a small fraction of the time is very gratifying indeed.
The setup is of course mostly automatic, so little to cause you grief there. The Wi-Fi keyboard and mouse work straight from the off. you have the choice of displaying to an HDMI, or a Display Port, or a DVI outlet, and they even supply an adapter for using the old VGA monitor from the DVI outlet. I use my 50 inch Toshiba HD, So I can read ordinary text from 2 metres away without having to put my reading specs on.
Of course it is usually true to say that you get what you pay for, but what you can't always rely on is the sort of service you get when problems occur.
4 hours into setting up my old software & settings I started to download the windows updates, and of course there were loads of them. Somewhere in the list was one which obviously had a glitch in it, because after I rebooted as required, I found that the Wi-Fi network no longer functioned, so I had no internet connection. this was quite obviously caused by the rogue windows update. I could get an internet connection by plugging in an Ethernet cable, but it's not quite the same thing, so Out came the list of technical support phone numbers, and I prepared to invest 5p per min for who knows how long. This is another point where HP have scored highly above their competitors. I found any member of the staff I spoke to really helpful, polite, and they knew their stuff. They really made me think that they were solely interested in solving my problem, which they did in fairly short order. I was fortunate that the very first thing windows 8 did was to register with HP, who had the database entry showing my date of registration, and entitlement to 1 years warranty already on their system. I feel a great deal more confident that if I get any further trouble, these people will sort it for me, and that's something one can't say about too many other companies.
In summary, this machine will give you the performance you are paying for, and with the confidence that you are looked after if you need it. That is why it is worth all five stars, and I believe I have spent my money wisely.
on 21 January 2014
Just updated from a ten years or so old desktop that was creaking and unable to cope with HD video editing. Love the open architecture and immediately have added a Blu-ray (and M-disc) burner and a firewire card. There is plenty room to quadruple the RAM and add another huge HD. This unit is advertised for gaming but initially seems excellent for my needs of graphics and video. The solid state disc means startup is very fast (better than the old one which needed several cups of tea). I was anxious about Windows 8 and can't understand what was wrong with XP. It is certainly quite annoying but I am getting used to it. The windows 8 lack of a start menu is not a problem as HP have provided one on their own software. It has all the sockets you would need (except firewire) including USB 3. I like it but realise that a few years down the track it will also seem creaky.
on 12 January 2014
Had mine for about 7 Months Play games on it Brilliant!, Do Photoshop Superb!. Download Music Old Films Fantastic!. if you want a great Desktop go no further than this i love it!. Not Cheap but you get what you pay for Upgraded to Windows 8.1 Even this works better. So all in all fantastic Desktop!. very quite very quick .5/5 well worth the money.HP Envy Phoenix h9-1430ea Desktop PC (Intel Core i7-3770 3GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Windows 8).
on 16 December 2013
This PC is fast and looks great but the fans constantly run at full speed. This makes the PC very noisy. I spoke to HP regarding the fan speed and they insisted I send the PC to them for repair. This obviously caused me a lot of hassle and after a week HP returned the PC saying that they found nothing wrong... I now assume that this PC was designed to be noisy.

HP email support was awful but the return service worked ok.

So, if you want a PC for playing loud games or music then this is ideal. If you want a PC for work or quiet research then buy something else.