Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 16 January 2014
Read the reviews and guessed that those with problems had maybe not followed the instructions properly. The longest part of setting it up was probably making sure I had removed all the blue packing tabs and the few beads of loose polystyrene balls. I followed the very straightforward instruction sheet and within a few minutes the printer was seen on my home network without the need of a USB cable at any time, also seen by the other computers on the network. Have successfully printed several pages from my iMac as well as done some test scans. Have also printed a test photo from my iPad. Perfectly acceptable as a home all-in-one machine.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2014
I must say im impressed with this printer love the app so u can print photos from your I pod or phone wi fi is great very happy with the product
on 14 March 2014
I read the reviews before I bought this so I was reluctant to buy it.

Now I say do not read those negative reviews they are absolute rubbish

I knew I wanted an epson and in this price range because I had stupidly bought a kodak which was absolute pants. It didn't air print documents despite what it said. It needed an app fir photos and the printing was below standard

When I got this I expected documentation on how to set up absolutely NONE I was gobsmacked❣
it was sooo simple to set up the LCD screen, touch-panel guides you through simply and easily.

It's not too heavy though it looks it and it prints like a DREAM. The test page was amazing as was my documents I printed. Very clear very precise № smudging. Oh it was so nice to come back to epson. I will never EVER stray again. Not only that though epson are expensive ink you can get compatible but I find cheap ones sometimes works out the same as needs a lot of cleaning and misaligns quite a lot.

AirPrint from my iphone is also a doddle only thing is it takes a few searches to find each time after that soooo quick it's a dream. It's also not as noisy as I remembered epsons to be.

I would definitely recommend and despite № set up docs it warrants 5 stars.
I think even though a home all-I'm-one it would still do a small business
on 31 March 2014
Was looking for a wireless copier/printer/scanner to replace my old Brother All-in-One DCP-115C when the latter started to play up after 7-8 years of use.

Settled for the Epson XP-412 over the XP-312 simply because the touch panel on the 412 is larger (6.4cm - against the 312's 3.7cm) and thus easier to read for someone with failing eyesight such as me!

It took me quite a while to remove all the packaging/polystyrene and bits of blue tape (this is not a complaint, just a statement).

My first thought on handling the printer is that it feels quite plasticky and flimsy compared to my old, solid Brother. This aside, I really like the look/external design of it but note that because it's black and shiny, it really shows up dust!

The paper feeding mechanism is quite noisy - each time the printer grabs a sheet of paper prior to printing, the noise startles me a little.

Also note that you can't have the back of the printer quite close to a wall/vertical surface, or the paper tray will keep folding back into the printer.

It did not take very long at all to set up - for BASIC OPERATIONS - in that I did not even read any instructions, as I found it quite intuitive to just follow the steps on the touch panel. I was printing wirelessly both from my iMac and my Sony Vaio laptop within 5 mins.

Working out how to scan wirelessly however, took a bit longer. It involved opening an account at and setting up an email address for the printer and/or linking the printer to cloud storage such as Google Drive or Dropbox etc.

It then took me a while longer to work out how to send documents from my Kindle Fire HD (1st generation) to the printer - I think this has more to do with the Kindle Fire itself than the printer (and I am told that printing from 2nd generation Kindle Fire tablets is now more straightforward). Basically I worked out I had to set up a Google Cloud Print account and register the printer on that account. All a bit of a faff - which also involved finding out the printer's IP address - but I can now print any documents I open on my Kindle Fire (via Dropbox/OfficeSuite/Adobe Reader).

Printer is now fully set up to do everything I might need from it. Still very early days but so far am fairly happy with my purchase. However, because of the cheap and flimsy feel of it and the fact that advanced set-up is not exactly user-friendly (very poor documentation so depending on how technical you are, you MIGHT need to do quite a bit of googling), I am giving it a 4 stars review rather than 5.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2014
Figured I would write a review, mainly to counter some of the negative ones given below, as this printer does not deserve it's current low rating. I have only set it up and used it for a few hours, so 4 stars is for that bit, and not the longevity/reliability of the printer. I will come back and edit after a few months to add those bits in.

The good:

Set up was straight forward, and my Macbook Air running Mavericks, found and started printer over the network just fine once the password for the WLAN (WPA2) had been entered.

The ability to scan a document and have it sent to your dropbox/gdrive, evernote or nominated email address is very handy. Although, those with privacy concerns might balk at giving Epson full read access over their cloud based accounts. As with anything, it's the price for convenience, and chances are the NSA already know what you're up to via your webcam ;o)

Once you register with Epson Connect your printer will be assigned a email address, so you can now email a document to the printer from anywhere and have it print.

Being able to set custom sleep/power down schedules via the printer is a good option for those who only print occasionally.

The bad:

The documentation that comes with the printer is pretty sparse/rubbish. If this printer had been ordered by my 60yr old Mum, then it would currently be sitting in the bin, or at the very least being used via a USB cable only as a regular printer. The 412 has some great features, but they really need to be documented better, especially registering the printer for the Epson Connect account*. Being a relatively IT literate person I managed ok, but I honestly think Joe Public might struggle getting the most from the printer.

I do wish you could set the printer to default print in B+W, as opposed to via the source device. This is not a major issue, but as I only ever use B+W, then it seems a waste to have to have to install the colour carts when I have no plan on using them.

The indifferent:

Not one to print photos, so have not tried out any of those functions.

Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering, this is a printer for the home. Not a workplace. The clue is in the title. The Epson small office range is the WF (workforce) ones. Hopefully the reviewer below has realised this by now. Although how he managed to get 10-15 minute print times is anyones guess, as I never found this to be the case.

*Find out the local IP your printer is on, either via the wireless setup on the printer or your routers attached devices page, usual IP will be or, depending on your router, and connect via your web browser. Here you have options to update firmware, set up the Epson Account and a few other bits and pieces. You do not need to install any software like the quickstart guide mentions.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 February 2014
The printer arrived a day earlier than expected, took half an hour to set up and has easily performed every task I have asked from it. I have only ever used Epson printers for my home printing and am glad I made this one my next choice.
on 27 July 2014
Great little printer with all in one function.

Its been a good couple of weeks if not longer since I've had the product. It does what it says on the tin, it is easy to set up to your network if you have all of the information you need (as in your network name, password etc) menu on the printer is very easy to use, it has a self shut down if left without use for certain periods of time that you can change. The wifi is great and picks up from the other end of the house.

Easy to use with my iphone to print off things via my email or through browser. Cartridges are easy to install. One thing to remember when you get this is to make sure you remove all of the inside packaging before even hooking it up to the power. Scan & print are great.

The only thing that stops it getting 5 stars is the fact that when you turn it on and want to print something, it doesn't always go to plan. For instance I wanted to print off something turned it on. Let it boot up and then hit print. However it sat there for a good 5 or more minutes trying to ''print'' said document. This has happened a few times and I've literally had to pull the power cable from the back and plug it back in and start all over again for it to work.
on 28 December 2013
Quiet, good quality with a very useful Epson print from anywhere function. Really decent little printer. Original inks are expensive but seem to last a long time. You can get not original inks if you budget is tight. Always do get decent Ink Jet paper as this does save on ink as laser jet paper is too absorbent
on 22 March 2014
Look, this printer is very cheap so I wasn't expecting much. The USB set up was quick and painless, and I had something printing within 10 minutes. Then I set up the wireless printing, which only was another 15 minutes, and it worked.

I came back a few days later when I had to print a document just as "I was heading out the door" and it failed. An aberration I thought, I'll look at it later.

I came back, and have been trying to fix whatever the problem is for the past few days. It just wont print, not on usb, not on wifi. It just sits there, making the odd "I think I am about to print now noise" then doesn't. I thought maybe it's something to do with OSX, but the printer even hangs when you press the off button. It just says "turning off", and never actually does.

I appreciate that others may have had a good experience but unfortunately mine has been very poor, so sorry epson, only 1 star for you!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2014
I bought this printer to work with Apple AirPrint and it does that very well, the printing is of good quality and the copier is very good with sharp definition.
My only criticism is with Epson's instructions which are to say the least very confusing, luckily there was a review which indicated throwing them away and just following the on board instructions through the control panel...this was easy to do and within a few minutes I was up and running.